Note to New Members ×

what pants are you riding?

roman

I usually wear pants and ride on a snowboard...but that's just me...

:smashfrea

I wear some Columbia pants that I picked up a couple of yeard ago for like $70 at the end of the season. Just had one of the knees wear through after abour 40 days riding in them - duct tape patch till the end of this season will do fine till the blowout sales in late april/early may

After a number of apirs of cheap and mid-priced pants, each of which did not stand up to the beating I dish out, I splurged on a pair of ArcTeryx pants at the beginning of last season. They've been bombproof, except a the snaps which seem a little fragile. They repaired one under warranty, thge other one is fraying as we speak, I'll send 'em in at the end of the season.

I wear space pants, because my ass is out of this world...

I wear Burton AK 3L pants. They are nice - good fit, waterproof, two pockets, leg vents, and flat matte black. No bells, whistles, zipper/pocket overload and nothing tacky... strange as that sounds from a Burton garment. I may buy something else this year to accomodate an intec cable/handle, but these have lasted me ~3 years now.

On my 2nd pair of Marmot Bibs in 6 years. Unfortunately, the butt delamed when they got put in a hotel dryer on "delicate". Also had 2 Costco Head gloves melt together(Riverhouse in Bend) Beware of hotel/motel dryers!!! :mad: I've allways favored the high end Mountaineering gear over ski and snowboard wear.

Burton makes great clothing...as much as I hate to admit it
Too expensive. I've got a pair of PacLite bibs by NorthFace that I got for cheap off ebay. I like them but I don't think they'd hold up to daily use, they're too light. If I were to buy a new set, definitely Mountain Equipment Coop.

I used to ride with a set of mountain hardwear, but they wore out near the boot cuffs, and I had to resew the crotch and inseams every year. I bought a pair of inexpensive mountaineering bibs from Campmor that has their name on it. So far, they are still waterproof, haven't shown any signs of wear, are super comfy and they only cost $60. I've had about 30 days on them so far. Very happy wit hthem for the price.

For me, it's been either a pair of Arcteryx Theta SK pants, which were a warranty replacement for a pair of Alpha SV bibs that were used hard for 5 years (55 plus days of use per season). The Arcteryx get used on the ski hill and during rescue work.

My other pair of bibs are Patagonia ready mix pants, which are a warranty replacement for a pair of Nitro bibs that were 10 years old. These pants are what I use for backcountry trips.

Say what you want about the high purchase price of gear from these 2 companies, but they do stand behind their products over the long term.

I have exercised a product satisfaction warranty 8-9 times from these guys over the past 20 years, and have always been well taken care of.

Guest Matt D

I rock Burton's AK 3L pants. XCR Gore-Tex is super lightweight and dry. I find they work well in any weather condition imaginable. The best thing about em though, is their lifetime warranty... cause no pant will last forever. I seem to go through a pair every 2 seasons (i'm an instructor, and in 2 seasons I ride at least 120 days, though these pants have 170+ days on em), so I send em back to burton, and they send me a new pair.

IMO Burton might not be the absolute best gear, but they absolutely stand behind their products, and I've never been treated so well by another company.

I wear the stuff that I work in, cheap arse that I am. It's made by SNC, and the trousers are generally waterproof for at least 2 years (that's 2 years of wearing the same trousers, in the snow and rain, for 8-10 hours, every, day for four months). The third year can get a little leaky if you end up standing around in hard rain. We get to keep them after 3 years.

I doubt that they are cheap, but put it this way - my six year old SNC jacket is still waterproof and warm, and my jacket of choice for riding "for myself", whilst my similar vintage "named brand" jacket and trousers are completely dead.

SNC don't appear to have a web presence, sadly.

If I was looking for an all-in-one suit, it would have to be one like this, the rain and snow would avoid you.

Simon

ive been tearing through a pair of 686 pants for the last season and a half. The waterproofing is good, but the pants cant stand up to the ammount of use that i give them. One of the inside cargo pockets tore out when it was in the wash, but overall the pants are somewhat decent. The magnetic/velcro combo on the pocket flaps works well, and the removable liner pants are both warm and comfy.