Note to New Members ×

After freeride: A dedicated alpine board!

Tommy D

Which direction should she go?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which direction should she go?

• Wait until she carves on her Fuel, then get an alpine board.
    • Let her try the RT SL.
    • It's time! Get a dedicated alpine board!!!

I know a lot of you are bursting with all kinds of great advice, so I'm posting this question:

My girlfriend is tired of her 152 Ride Fuel, and wants another board; a board better suited for carving. What would be a logical next board?

She's very smooth, and can consistently make turns heel and toeside, and is confident in all kinds of conditions from ice to mush. However, she has yet to link carved turns (This is more speed-psych-out than anything). This is her third full season riding.

Should I encourage her to carve turns on the Fuel first? She's very enthusiastic about carving, and wants to make carves rather than skids. I've been toying with the idea of letting her try my old 163 RT SL.

I should mention she's already riding with TD2's on her Fuel.

Thanks!!

the RT might be a little much

if she is in the 100 to 125 range those little (150ish cm) FPs and KRs that you see in the classifieds and ebay for around $75 US might be a better choice.

"after riding this thing for awhile I have become much more agressive in softboots" is what my GF says so a dedicated alpine ride might work out well for yours as well

immensely I say let her have a rip on the RT. If all it takes is switching out her TD's to the RT how much trouble could she get into? I agree with Bob's statement about the size/weight issue and his board recommendation is spot on if that's the case size wise (I sold a half dozen of those KR's/ Oxy149's myself to women that size) but with the fact that she's already in hardboots and bindings, as soft and progressive as those RT's are it should be easy for her to at least get a feel for what it will be like on a dedicated alpine set-up. If she digs it then all you gotta do is buy her a board....like maybe the sweet 148cm Tiger I've got for sale....Doh! Did I say that out loud.... :D Seriously, let her try it, you might be surprised....just my 2 cents

Good luck,

Paul

You wanted opinions, there is no shortage of them here.

Don't put her on the 163 RT.

If she can't link turns on an easier freeride board, a stiff board is not the magical solution. There are a lot of guys on this board that ride the RT163 and can take it at speed carrying 200 lb frames. I can't imagine she's gonna be able to maneuver in a tight situation when its important, and that is scary.

If she's serious tell her to put up the dough and take ArcAngel up on his offer of a 148 RT.

That way you can match :1luvu: ahhhh Valentine's day!

I would love to go to the ECES, but won't be able to make it this year. We're going to Panorama the week before!! :D Next year is more likely, I think.

Thanks for the responses! Keep them coming. So far, the responses are confirming my hunch: Time to get her on a new board! :biggthump

keep the prior 4WD in mind...although Im not sure they make one short enough? look into it.

I say get her on a carver! and boards like the 4WD are a "middle ground"...

my first carver was a PJ 7...wide enough for moderate angles, soft enough to be forgiving...

she's already in hardboots (she has TD2's on her current board) Tommy do you have any pic's or video of her riding? I think this would go a long way in helping us see if she is ready for a carving deck or not. cliffh seems to think she is and has a distinct advantage on those of us who haven't seen her ride. Just a thought.....

Paul

she's already in hardboots (she has TD2's on her current board) Tommy do you have any pic's or video of her riding? I think this would go a long way in helping us see if she is ready for a carving deck or not. cliffh seems to think she is and has a distinct advantage on those of us who haven't seen her ride. Just a thought.....

Paul

Haha! Trying to get a pic or vid of her ride is like trying to get spy photos of the latest gear. :smashfrea

We have a vacation coming up in a week, so I should be able to sneak in a few pics then.

Don't forget though, it's harder to get a freeride board on edge with hardboots than it is to get an alpine specific board on edge. It's much easier to carver when you have the proper setup.

woops, didn't see that she was already in hardboots.

Still, she should be able to do the Norm on her current deck. She'll have to try it on a green circle at medium to low speed since her freeride deck surely has a ridiculously small sidecut radius.

If she can't do the Norm, she's not ready.

After that, it's alpine board time! I'd still recommend an all-mtn deck though (4WD/Axis/AM)

Guest jschal01
However, she has yet to link carved turns (This is more speed-psych-out than anything). This is her third full season riding.

!

I have probably beat the lessons horse until it is beyond dead, but: if this is her third full season riding and she has yet to link carved turns, the last thing she wants is a carving board until she gets the technique isues sorted out. And unless you and she have an unuasually good ability to turn the "significant other" dynamic off while on the slopes (some people can), the last thing you want to do is try to teach her.

Several lessons at very least, maybe a camp (where demo boards may be on offer) then she'll also have a much better idea what she really wants for a board, too.

Guest jschal01
as long as the alpine board is a managable size why not... the transition to hardboots was probably the most difficult step.

If she is psyched out by the speed of linking carved turns on her current equipment, the stiffer, longer sidecut, faster edge to edge, alpin board is not really going to help things and likely will make her more gun-shy.

yeah.. i agree with you, she needs to feel safe to progress.. but i think as long as she tries it out with lower stance angles and on a run she's comfortable with (blue or easier) why not go for it?

its seems like wider boards are harder for less experienced riders to link carved turns on.. the transition can take longer, and be more awkward