Note to New Members ×

its been said before but

bobdea

wear your damn helmet!!!!!!!!!

I broke one tonight and it could have been my skull, I was going slow too, riding with a noob on a green trail

head injuries can happen anywhere at any speed, be careful and wear protection

hehe "wear protection" reminds me of something else

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know this is going to sound irresponsible but, for a low budget student like me, there's always the : "Am I really gonna spend my money on this?" question... I know a helmet is really important to have, and I'd regret it if anything happened, but I can't seem to actually go buy it while I have the money. I spend it on other stuff... I mean for that kind of money, you can get step-in bindings, a nice coat, an I-pod :p, fun stuff . But you're right, next thing I buy is definatly a helmet. Even though I ride on a small mountain, as you said, anything can happen, even in the easiest trails. Anyway, I'm glad you're safe... -Jules

It's nothing racist,:eek: black is the name of a clothe store,. As you see on the picture, the owner is selling the store and wrote ''Blacks for sale''. I have a black friend who goes to school with me and we were laughing about that because it sounded ''racist''. I put that picture on cardomain because that guy is also on cardomain and I knew he would visit my page and laugh.:lol: I'm sorry if it offended you,but I agree with you, since it's more like an inside joke, people might think I'm racist or something and be offended.. You know what, I might just remove that. Sorry about that. -Jules

Yeah, first impression I got was that it is racist. But hey, I'm a little hypersensitive about it because my studies are focusing heavily on oppression of minorities and people of color. Maybe a little disclaimer under the photo would help.

I totally agree. I just removed it... Currently studying sociology in college on poverty and minorities:rolleyes: Sorry for hijacking the thread. -Jules

"I mean for that kind of money, you can get step-in bindings, a nice coat, an I-pod "

Bull. You can get a quality helmet for $50 without even trying. Leedom, Pro-Tec, Gyro, Demon, etc.- between google, ebay and Big 5, there is no reason any kid with an allowence shouldn't have a helmet. When I was in college I worked my butt off to buy snowboard gear, and a good helmet was litteraly the first expensive piece of gear I purchased, but I could have spend a lot lss on a good lid on sale.

I teach with a school that brings about 100 kids to the hill twice a week. Its a rare week we don't call 1 parent that their kid has a concussion. They ALL have helmets. I'd hate to make that call with anything worse then a concussion.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/prod_list_display.asp?dept_id=L2~2246&mscssid=AA81513C8AFB4E018A32429D0190AE97

http://www.snowshack.com/protec-helmets.html

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007LI60I/103-5940080-7154210

http://www.rei.com/outlet/category/40003838.htm?vcat=OUTLET_SSHP_SKIING_AND_SNOWBOARDING_SA

If you don't want to wear one, fine, but c'mon, dont tell me you can't afford it. Ok, off the soapbox.

I absolutly agree with you : a helmet is really important for your safety, and if I had a kid, I would make him wear one for sure. All I said was it is more TEMPTING to buy a I-POD or whatever you want to buy then a HELMET (For yourself). It is my choice not to wear one, because I have other priorities. This conversation isn't going nowhere.. I'm out. -Jules

**Thanks for the links, might come in handy someday

I agree with it being your choice. I hate my elected officials telling me I have to wear a bike or motorcycle helmet when I have insurance and am a responsible adult and knowing the f-ing insurance companies will not lower their rates even though they claim these laws will save them millions of dollars in injury claims. That said, As I get a little older and more brittle common sense tells me it is a prudent thing to do. My point was more sarcastic than anything not meant to bash or flame, but your youth sort of gives you away in that indestructible sort of way- it makes no sense to make your kid wear a helmet if you are not willing to do the same. I have seen the results of head trauma and I gotta tell you it aint pretty. Not trying to lecture (blablabla) but my old man couldnt tell me anything either....it aint a bad thing, we just gotta figure it out for ourselves and hope we live to have some hindsight. Glad your ok Bob

P.S. :) if you can afford all of that bling on that little rocket, you can afford a helmet.

I have found a helmet to be more comfy then and hat. But yea last nite my helmet gave me some good protection. Coming thru the bumps I missed my turn and blew out on my heel side and whacked the back of my head/helmet on the ice covered east coast mogul. Enough to give me a headache. So I was glad I had it.

My wife pleaded with our yougest son to wear a helmet, even bought it for him. After telling us he was able to make up his own mind about it, he had it on two days later. The last he recalls about that day was stopping to watch the dudes jumping in the park. He woke up in the hospital hours later with a fractured radius, a sprained ankle and a BIG headache. The doc said he would likely have been dead or brain damaged if not for the helmet. His wife, seven year old son and three year old daughter are all grateful to have him functioning normally! Of course, his mother was vindicated, yet again.

Don

I know this is going to sound irresponsible but, for a low budget student like me, there's always the : "Am I really gonna spend my money on this?" question... I know a helmet is really important to have, and I'd regret it if anything happened, but I can't seem to actually go buy it while I have the money. I spend it on other stuff... I mean for that kind of money, you can get step-in bindings, a nice coat, an I-pod :p, fun stuff . But you're right, next thing I buy is definatly a helmet. Even though I ride on a small mountain, as you said, anything can happen, even in the easiest trails. Anyway, I'm glad you're safe... -Jules

If you get head injury, you won't be able to enjoy your toys. Think about it...

LEEDOM - If your helmet is involved in an impact or collision, it may not be suitable for further protective use.

My Giro helmet has a similar warning label - designed for one impact then replace.

Lid info from all the majors including sizing / fit

http://www.snowleopard.biz/slms/default.asp?s_id=2&undefined

www.skihelmets.com

. I spend it on other stuff... I mean for that kind of money, you can get step-in bindings, a nice coat, an I-pod :p, fun stuff . But you're right, next thing I buy is definatly a helmet.

How much is your head worth?? Don't forget you only have one. And most people may or may not agree with me, but I find a helmet a lot MORE comfortable than a hat while I'm on the slopes. To each their own, I suppose, but now that I've been riding with a helmet for years, I just don't feel comfy/safe without one.

But hey, if you don't want your head, I'll be happy to sell it for you on Ebay. :D

I started wearing a helmet about 7 years ago after someone at a local area had died. they were traversing an icey slope, caught their downhill edge, slid on their back, headfirst into a tree. reports said they were only going 5-10 mph when they hit, but it was enough to kill them. Until last week, I'd never needed it, except when someone brings down the Stoner Bar on the chair un-announced, or getting into the car and forgetting I had it on. :o . I caught an edge, landed on my back, sliding headfirst toward a small clump of trees. I remember thinking "glad I'm wearing a helmet!", and stopped about 2 ft from the tree's, my upper body hanging over the edge of the tree well. A few more feet and no helmet, it would have been the classic "slid into a tree well, knocked unconscious, died" :nono:

I started wearing one some 4 years ago, after taking a head-first plunge and smacking the back of my head with the tip of my tele ski. No questions about helmets being a smart choice :)

After that I noticed that I started riding more aggressively, getting a bit of that invincibility feeling. That went away after someone died at the local ski area -- hit a tree, branch stub punctured the liver, nothing that a helmet could help with. That definitely brought a bit of reality back.

tom.

Hey Jules,

Since you say you'd wear a helmet if you could afford one, here are two options. One, tell your parents you've decided it would be a good idea to wear a helmet, but you can't really afford one. Something tells me they'll fall all over themselves running to REI to buy you one.

Alternately. How big is your head? If its 59-60cm, give me your address and I'll send you a helmet. I have 3-4 spares lying around. I use them for guests at the house. If you are a pinhead I can send you the pink one my 8 year-old just grew out of. Seriously though, I'd be happy to send you one of my spare helmets. We don't have enough carvers in the world, we need to do what we can to preserve this endangered species!

Email me if you want the helmet. I'll even pay the shipping.

LEEDOM - If your helmet is involved in an impact or collision, it may not be suitable for further protective use.

My Giro helmet has a similar warning label - designed for one impact then replace.

Lid info from all the majors including sizing / fit

http://www.snowleopard.biz/slms/default.asp?s_id=2&undefined

www.skihelmets.com

Pat, that's kinda funny because I've had a Leedom for years. I actually did some work for Leedom thru Dennis Leedom, my old windsurfing( now kitesurfing) buddy and there were "issues" with the helmets.IE:the plastic wasn't engineered correctly for cold temps, they were cracking, etc. I've never smacked my head or bounced the helmet hard enuf for probs but I AM looking for a better helmet lately. The Giro BX helmet looks solid and I've seen them new on eBay for around $80 or so.I ALWAYS ride with a helmet, gotta protect what grey matter I have left. :flamethro I've also got an Ovo that I'm not crazy about.I usually lend it out to buds that don't rock the helmet, but should.

I'm on my second Leedom. Very comfy and fit my head well. I did notice the foam started to split in my first helmet after 3 years of lots of use, but no impacts, fortunately.

I'll likely get another one too, unless I find something else that fits well and has a good ventellation system that I can adjust without removing the lid.

Willy,

First day riding with the Leedom, my 2nd day riding, I caught a heel and smacked the back of my head hard. Leedom inspcected and said I cracked the styro @ impact and the reprocussion cracked the front too. Rebuilt the lid for $30. Two years later the chin strap wore out? Sent it back and once again they found a crack in the liner. So now I am on the third liner. Lately I have been wearing a Giro 9 with the "TuneUps" - speakers in the ear flaps. The Giro is light and comfy.

sad...just bought a Giro 9MX w/audio...got a Lrg cuz I had tried em before...

fit seemed ok, but as has always been the problem with me, the damn thing made my head look 15X bigger...just ridiculous. so I sent it back.

guess I'll have to try and find one that fits, although I have to say this:

15 years and never hit my head. not once. just riding does not mean youre going to nail your head and "suck your meails through a straw"

you guys act like it is automatic or something. SURE its smart to take precautions, but scolding people for not wearing helmets is BS. you do what youre doing and dont worry about others.

D, not meant to lecture, as you know anything said online loses something in the translation. A perfect example of safety devices not being able to protect the wearer in every instance: we are conditioned to were our seat belts (it's the law) all of the time. I think we all agree it is a good idea to do so. But just because you do does not mean that fence post will not go through your head (seen it) or that your car will not catch fire etc. I wear my helmet mountain biking, but that does not protect me from a tree branch in the eye or major vessel. We all know it it good common sense, I dont really care who wears a helmet or not (as long as I am not stuck with the medical bills) I just dont understand putting tons of money into a car (perhaps he wants a 5 point harness or roll protection for more safety?) and not into a helmet. The horse is probably on the way to the glue factory with this one.......