Note to New Members ×

its been said before but

bobdea

On a personal note, I am a walking study in risk compensation. For park riding in particular I will occasionally wear not just helmet but mouthguard, kneepads and shinguards (even though the last two are cheating).

Me too. I like to wear "safety" gear, but I think of it more as "go fast" gear.

IOW, helmets have benefits, but safety may not be one of them.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Using speed guns at Sugarbush, the researchers found that people wearing helmets ski 3 mph faster than those without. And they found that skiers wearing helmets had worse concussions than those who didn't.

Shealy will soon publish results from a study of head injuries sustained by people wearing helmets and those going without. He found that 65 percent of the helmeted skiers had injuries worse than a mild concussion, compared with only 23 percent of the unhelmeted.....

How often did the non-helmeted people go to the mountains? I've noticed over the years that the people who are one the mountain everyday, such as myself, tend to wear helmets, simply because the more you do something the more likely you are to have something go wrong.

also, if these helmeted people are going more than the non-helmeted, their ability level is probably higher, thus they are going faster and/or riding more difficult terrain.

of the helmeted and non-helmeted who were injured or killed, did the non-helmeted have the same type of crash(speed and intensity of impact) as the helmeted? if i jump off my couch without a helmet and you jump off a bridge with a helmet, of course you're going to be more seriously injured.

this study was either horribly abreviated and left out a lot of important info, or it was just done out of general curiosity and is not scientific at all.

Guest jschal01

AKRider,

Those are all very good questions, which the study notes very clearly. They apply equally to the UW study (though they are not noted so clearly there imo) and the other similar ones done that are snow-specific. The motorcycle and bicycle data are broad enough to be statistically relevant, if parsed correctly, which is a huge qualifier. For whatever reason, the bike data are less emotionally charged than the motorcycle data, and there there seems to be a fairly robust link between wearing a helmet and your (greater) likelihood of dying from a head injury. For ski areas, you'd need a very broad effort to approach a similar level of robustness, and while I don't know I'd speculate the money's not there to support this.

But let me again emphasize, Shealy and his colleagues themselves are not anti-helmet. As I have said, I am not anti-helmet. You urge people to wear helmets while going big in the park, and I agree with you in that case. It's good to be aware at the same time both of risk compensation, and of situations where you might not want one. You've got a lot of experienced patrollers there in Summit County, ask a couple when they first started pulling people out of tree runs with head injuries in large numbers. Answer: after widespread adoption of helmets.

i defintly see how what the study found can be true. What put me to the next level of skiing is wearing a helmet. I felt more confident and I'm willing on working on my form at higher speeds. At Wachusett, there are usually more people with helmets than without. That is because most people there are locals so they get helemts because they're on the slopes alot.

As someone else said, a helmet is defintly more for when someone slams into you, than something you might do yourself. With carving in particular, a helmet seems more important.

Had a bad one last thursday at the Dutch championships in Laax (CH).

Caught an edge after hitting a rockplate just under the snow on my first run and got lauched. Hit the snow with the back of my head and was very glad I was wearing a helmet! Don't see myself racing without one after this....

...Dig the Avalanche and Kryptonics stickers man.... :cool:
Dig the duct tape on the visor too.I found that visor on the trail dirtbiking in Plymouth years ago.Velcro kept getting loose, duct tape always works.The Danger stickers on the back are from a Harvey Danger bumper sticker and "if you can read this sticker...you're too close". The Evil Sports sticker speaks for itself. My mom doesn't let me ride without a helmet. :nono:

• 2 years later...

Taking the Helmet discussion in a slightly different direction:

Has anyone themselves personally worn a motorcycle helmet while snowboarding? Last time I went out, I borrowed a 'winter-sports' specific helmet, and it was pretty sweet- but like the rest of us, I'm a cheapskate- so I ask myself:

why drop cash on a new helmet, when I have my trusty old motorcycle helmet right here on the shelf???

My thoughts-

Pro:

1) I'm sure the thing is warm

2) I'll be in pretty good shape, cranium-wise, even after a pretty serious crash

3) I already have it, and haven't ridden my bike in forever

Con:

1) look like a fool???

2) too heavy to turn the head properly?

3) missing peripheral vision???

4) the whole neck-twist-thing on full-facials (but who really cares when your head is safe)

So anyone who has tried it, let me know how you found the experience. If no one has, then give me a couple weeks and I'll be the guinea pig and report back.

• 1 month later...

From the following LINK:

Canada’s first alpine helmet standard helps make skiing, snowboarding and tobogganing safer

Toronto, March 24, 2009

Each year, hundreds of preventable head injuries are reported on Canadian ski, snowboard and toboggan hills.1 Canadian Standards Association (CSA), a leading developer of standards and codes, announces the country’s first recreational alpine skiing and snowboarding helmet standard to help protect winter sports enthusiasts on Canadian slopes.

According to the Canadian Ski Council, 2007-2008 Canadian Skier and Snowboarder Facts and Stats report, there are now some 4.2-million Canadians participating in downhill skiing and snowboarding. Since 2004, the total number of skiers has increased by 25 per cent, snowboarders by 23 per cent.

As the popularity of these sports has grown, so too have the number of traumatic injuries and even fatalities, with traumatic brain injury cited as the main cause of death among skiers and snowboarders.2 Research has shown that helmets used for skiing and snowboarding are associated with a 60 per cent reduction in head injuries.3

“Canada’s first recreational alpine skiing and snowboarding helmet standard was developed by leading industry and medical experts, Health Canada, and other stakeholders to help improve head protection for participants in these popular winter activities,” says John Walter, Vice President, Standards Development, CSA. “The sobering statistics and increased number of head injuries indicated a need to develop the standard specifically designed for the Canadian market. CSA is all about life and we want to facilitate family and individuals’ safety while they enjoy these sports.”

CSA’s Z263.1 Recreational Alpine Skiing and Snowboarding Helmets applies to helmets intended to help reduce head injuries for recreational alpine skiers and snowboarders. It defines the areas of the head that are to be protected for impact injuries and covers the basic performance requirements for shock absorption, helmet stability, and retention system strength as well as marking and labelling requirements. Helmets that comply with the standard will be designed to sustain multiple impacts. The standard also applies to helmets worn for other non-motorized recreational snow sport activities such as tobogganing or sledding.

Many alpine ski and snowboard helmets currently on the Canadian market are “self-certified” by manufacturers to American and European standards. In Canada, there are no requirements for helmets to meet any standard and some helmets may offer little protection at all. In order to meet the CSA standard and earn a certification mark, alpine ski and snowboard helmets will have to be certified and tested by a laboratory accredited by the Standards Council of Canada (SCC).

Although the CSA Z263.1 Recreational Alpine Skiing and Snowboarding Helmets standard was in place in 2008, until now there has not been a Canadian certification program accredited by the SCC. CSA International has made a formal application to the SCC, and anticipates the office in Montreal will soon offer Canada’s first SCC accredited certification program to the new standard. The Montreal facility will be accepting submissions from helmet manufacturers beginning in April 2009.

The standard in particular would not have been possible without the tireless efforts of Richard Kinar of West Vancouver. After witnessing a serious collision between two young skiers that resulted in serious head injuries, Kinar began a grassroots campaign to raise funds for the development of a Canadian standard for alpine ski and snowboard helmets. Richard Kinar's devotion to ski and snowboard safety ultimately led to the Government of British Columbia providing initial funding to make the standard possible.

CSA is a not-for-profit, non-government organization and compliance with all CSA standards is voluntary unless legislated by government or mandated by industry or trade associations. It will be up to manufacturers to submit their product for certification by certification and testing organizations recognized by the Standards Council of Canada.

Helmets alone cannot prevent all injuries. Skiers, boarders and sledders should always be aware of their surroundings and practice sports in a manner compliant with their level of experience.

1 Injuries associated with downhill skiing, snowboarding and sledding: Canadian Hospitals Injury Reporting and Prevention Program (CHIRPP) database, 1990-91 to 2006-07.

2 Ackery A, Hagel BE, Provvidenza C, Tator CH. An international review of head and spinal cord injuries in alpine skiing and snowboarding. Inj Prev 2007;13:368–375

3 Helmet Use and Risk of Head Injuries in Alpine Skiers and Snowboarders. Steinar Sulheim, MD; Ingar Holme, PhD; Arne Ekeland, MD, PhD; Roald Bahr, MD, PhD. JAMA. 2006;295:919-924.

About CSA

Canadian Standards Association (CSA) is a membership association serving industry, government, consumers and other interested parties in Canada and the global marketplace. As a leading solutions-based standards organization providing standards and codes development, application products, training and advisory services, CSA aims to enhance public safety, improve quality of life, preserve the environment and facilitate trade. The Canadian Standards Association is a division of CSA Group, which also consists of CSA International, which provides testing and certification services for electrical, mechanical, plumbing, gas and a variety of other products; and OnSpeX, a provider of consumer product evaluation, inspection and advisory services for retailers and manufacturers. For more information visit www.csa.ca.

Senior Media Relations Officer

CSA Group

T: 416-747-2620

E: anthony.toderian@csagroup.org

From the following LINK:

Canada’s first alpine helmet standard helps make skiing, snowboarding and tobogganing safer

Toronto, March 24, 2009

Each year, hundreds of preventable head injuries are reported on Canadian ski, snowboard and toboggan hills.1 Canadian Standards Association (CSA), a leading developer of standards and codes, announces the country’s first recreational alpine skiing and snowboarding helmet standard to help protect winter sports enthusiasts on Canadian slopes.

According to the Canadian Ski Council, 2007-2008 Canadian Skier and Snowboarder Facts and Stats report, there are now some 4.2-million Canadians participating in downhill skiing and snowboarding. Since 2004, the total number of skiers has increased by 25 per cent, snowboarders by 23 per cent.

As the popularity of these sports has grown, so too have the number of traumatic injuries and even fatalities, with traumatic brain injury cited as the main cause of death among skiers and snowboarders.2 Research has shown that helmets used for skiing and snowboarding are associated with a 60 per cent reduction in head injuries.3

“Canada’s first recreational alpine skiing and snowboarding helmet standard was developed by leading industry and medical experts, Health Canada, and other stakeholders to help improve head protection for participants in these popular winter activities,” says John Walter, Vice President, Standards Development, CSA. “The sobering statistics and increased number of head injuries indicated a need to develop the standard specifically designed for the Canadian market. CSA is all about life and we want to facilitate family and individuals’ safety while they enjoy these sports.”

CSA’s Z263.1 Recreational Alpine Skiing and Snowboarding Helmets applies to helmets intended to help reduce head injuries for recreational alpine skiers and snowboarders. It defines the areas of the head that are to be protected for impact injuries and covers the basic performance requirements for shock absorption, helmet stability, and retention system strength as well as marking and labelling requirements. Helmets that comply with the standard will be designed to sustain multiple impacts. The standard also applies to helmets worn for other non-motorized recreational snow sport activities such as tobogganing or sledding.

Many alpine ski and snowboard helmets currently on the Canadian market are “self-certified” by manufacturers to American and European standards. In Canada, there are no requirements for helmets to meet any standard and some helmets may offer little protection at all. In order to meet the CSA standard and earn a certification mark, alpine ski and snowboard helmets will have to be certified and tested by a laboratory accredited by the Standards Council of Canada (SCC).

Although the CSA Z263.1 Recreational Alpine Skiing and Snowboarding Helmets standard was in place in 2008, until now there has not been a Canadian certification program accredited by the SCC. CSA International has made a formal application to the SCC, and anticipates the office in Montreal will soon offer Canada’s first SCC accredited certification program to the new standard. The Montreal facility will be accepting submissions from helmet manufacturers beginning in April 2009.

The standard in particular would not have been possible without the tireless efforts of Richard Kinar of West Vancouver. After witnessing a serious collision between two young skiers that resulted in serious head injuries, Kinar began a grassroots campaign to raise funds for the development of a Canadian standard for alpine ski and snowboard helmets. Richard Kinar's devotion to ski and snowboard safety ultimately led to the Government of British Columbia providing initial funding to make the standard possible.

CSA is a not-for-profit, non-government organization and compliance with all CSA standards is voluntary unless legislated by government or mandated by industry or trade associations. It will be up to manufacturers to submit their product for certification by certification and testing organizations recognized by the Standards Council of Canada.

Helmets alone cannot prevent all injuries. Skiers, boarders and sledders should always be aware of their surroundings and practice sports in a manner compliant with their level of experience.

1 Injuries associated with downhill skiing, snowboarding and sledding: Canadian Hospitals Injury Reporting and Prevention Program (CHIRPP) database, 1990-91 to 2006-07.

2 Ackery A, Hagel BE, Provvidenza C, Tator CH. An international review of head and spinal cord injuries in alpine skiing and snowboarding. Inj Prev 2007;13:368–375

3 Helmet Use and Risk of Head Injuries in Alpine Skiers and Snowboarders. Steinar Sulheim, MD; Ingar Holme, PhD; Arne Ekeland, MD, PhD; Roald Bahr, MD, PhD. JAMA. 2006;295:919-924.

About CSA

Canadian Standards Association (CSA) is a membership association serving industry, government, consumers and other interested parties in Canada and the global marketplace. As a leading solutions-based standards organization providing standards and codes development, application products, training and advisory services, CSA aims to enhance public safety, improve quality of life, preserve the environment and facilitate trade. The Canadian Standards Association is a division of CSA Group, which also consists of CSA International, which provides testing and certification services for electrical, mechanical, plumbing, gas and a variety of other products; and OnSpeX, a provider of consumer product evaluation, inspection and advisory services for retailers and manufacturers. For more information visit www.csa.ca.

Senior Media Relations Officer

CSA Group

T: 416-747-2620

E: anthony.toderian@csagroup.org

...and it only took ONE dead celebrity on a Canadian slope to get this done...

Kind of like Dale Earnhart's death in Nascar. Took something real big (3 deaths in 1 yr from rapid deceleration trauma) to get the mandatory HANS. I would say the ski industry is kind of behind in the saftey game. I see instructors and ski patrol with no helmets all the time. Seems like they would lead by example. A lot of the helmets that are worn out there don't fit right and are of poor quality. I took a hard slam 2 weeks ago and about knocked myself out with a helmet. Have a new one now just in case it was damage. I'm sure it was as my head still hurt after 3 days. I was carving on an easy blue when I lost my toe side edge and it grabbed and flipped me right on the back of my head :smashfrea

I know this is going to sound irresponsible but, for a low budget student like me, there's always the : "Am I really gonna spend my money on this?" question... I know a helmet is really important to have, and I'd regret it if anything happened, but I can't seem to actually go buy it while I have the money. I spend it on other stuff... I mean for that kind of money, you can get step-in bindings, a nice coat, an I-pod :p, fun stuff . But you're right, next thing I buy is definatly a helmet. Even though I ride on a small mountain, as you said, anything can happen, even in the easiest trails. Anyway, I'm glad you're safe... -Jules

If you need to justify it think about the hospital cost. My ER co-payment alone (less than $100) can buy a cheap helmet.