Note to New Members ×

Do these comments piss you off too?

JohnO'Brien

Inevitably when a skier finds out I am a snowboarder, I get four things thrown at me.

1 - Do you wear a helmet? I don't but one is on my Christmas list so I guess I do now. But if I answer thier question with the same topic as to whether they wear one, not more than 50% do. Why are snowboarders deemed a casualty waiting to happen while skiers are immune to injury?

2 - They all know someone who was hit by a snowboarder while innocently skiing down a wide open run while completly under control.

3 - Skiers identify one person, usually thier child who they are so glad tried snowboarding once but thankfully went back to skis. They then try to justify the demise of snowboarding in future years as it is just a passing trend.

4 - Gezz, I wish you guys would stop scrapping all the snow off the hill!

AAARRRHHHHGGG

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though they are annoying, as a skier most are quite valid comments. Don't know about 1 and 3 but ...

It is a lot easier to learn how to soft boot than how to ski. Many more skiers who are in the process of learning how to ski actually do take lessons than the snowboarders who trying to learn how to ride. One of the things that the lessons teach you are proper mountain ettiquette. I am in no way saying that all snowboarders lack E, it's just that they are easier to scapegoat because the ones that do lack it are often rude and obnoxious as well and there is a fair share of them. The rude and obnoxious skiers tend to be the skiers that are actually very good at skiing but in the same age range: ie the racers that go extremely fast and go in front of your kids and pretend they own the mountain.

Another aspect regarding snowboarding and run-ins is that as a beginner I think you typically have a lot less control over your direction (have you ever seen the people doing the falling-leaf?) than beginner skiers. I didn't teach my bf at the time how to stop on his snowboard until halfway through the day. Granted I also told him that he should fall down better getting into the crowds and then walk the rest of the way in because its more responsible that way.

Re the scraping the hill part: Isn't that why you are on an alpine board??? Most skiers I know love us. :1luvu: If they have seen it they think it is one of the coolest things on the mountain. If they haven't invite them to take a run with you and maybe you will convert them :eplus2:

Good timing John. I was at a dinner party a couple of nights ago with a table that had a couple of skiers, and this very thing came up. One of them said something about not liking the "big ruts that snowboarders make in the snow". I told him that we'll stop doing that when skiers stop making moguls, which drew a rousing round of hoots and laughs from everyone except Mr. I-don't-like-ruts.

Guest Todd Stewart

#4 for is pretty valid, a lot of snowbaorders do scrape the snow off the hill, especially in the moguls. I guess it is true though, we do need skiiers to make moguls for us. Although a bunch of intermediate snowboaders would have the same effect.

I find the being a hard booter i get more respect from seasoned skiiers becuase they know i've been on the hill for a long time. Like them, the hill is part of my life rather then just some phase i'm going through.

When I started snowboarding most of the mountains around me would not allow it, one did and only on some of the runs. I was regularly ridiculed. Once snowboarding gained popularity (I remember a few years in a row where snowboarding grew by 80% every year) the same people who used to ridicule me were BEGGING me to teach them how.

I bought one of those "Answers" shirts that Snowboarder sold for a little while, which had the effect of stopping dumb questions before they were spoken.

I cannot believe that there are people who still think snowboarding is a passing trend! Is this really true? I feel like I see more snowboarders than skiers on the mountains these days.

I have been seriously injured twice snowboarding, both times it was because an out-of-control skier hit me from behind. I ride fast, so they were FLYING to hit me hard enough to hurt me. I'm not perfect and neither is anyone else, but I've been hit far more times by skiers than by snowboarders.

Skiers react differently to alpine riders than they do other snowboarders in my experience. I have often received complements from skiers who wanted to know how to learn how to snowboard "that way" and I am always happy to talk their ears off about it. I've never seen skiers express anything but awe and envy at a skilled carver.

I love the "scraping all the snow off the hill" comment. I think that's hysterical, when I get that I usually just look at the person saying it and tell them to consider the profound stupidity of what they are suggesting - that with 100 or so inches of snow on the ground that us snowboarders are "scraping" the snow off the hill. Why is it that snowboarders are guilty of this while snow-plowing skiers are not?

Snowboarding has been nothing but good for skiing and for the ski industry, it brought with it a massive revival.

Inevitably when a skier finds out I am a snowboarder' date=' I get four things thrown at me.

1 - Do you wear a helmet? I don't but one is on my Christmas list so I guess I do now. But if I answer thier question with the same topic as to whether they wear one, not more than 50% do. Why are snowboarders deemed a casualty waiting to happen while skiers are immune to injury?

2 - They all know someone who was hit by a snowboarder while innocently skiing down a wide open run while completly under control.

3 - Skiers identify one person, usually thier child who they are so glad tried snowboarding once but thankfully went back to skis. They then try to justify the demise of snowboarding in future years as it is just a passing trent.

4 - Gezz, I wish you guys would stop scrapping all the snow off the hill!

AAARRRHHHHGGG[/quote']

Just be thankful you all don't live near Mad River...it's amazing to me the neolithic attitude SOME (not all) skiers around here have towards snowboarding...and it all stems from having a mountain nearby that bans snowboards. Funnily enough, a lot of these same skiers consider themselves "tolerant liberals" who "embrace diversity"....yeah, right! (see my signature)

dont usually care what other people think.

funny...skipuppy mentioned that as alpiners we dont usually scrape the snow off...exactly, BUT

I got "reprimanded" by some old bitty once..me and about 3 other carvers...because of the trenches we were leaving!

nothing will satisfy some people

I've heard 'em all and used to get really annoyed at it, but I just chuckle now (picture Jim Carey's Ace Ventura laugh).

Some reflection:

Learned to snowboard in '90. Come from a long-time surfing background and figured it would be an easy, natural transition - wasn't necessarily the case! Downhill skiied a couple of times and, for me, it was MUCH easier to learn speed control and basic turns on two planks. Heard the same from MANY others as well (BTW, no lesson taken for either type of sliding device).

Scraping snow off - hmmm. I've heard this comment a number of times and got to thinking: Skiiers (in general) always have two edges engaged in the snow. I would bet that they are displacing as much, if not larger, snow volumes for every speed check, turn, stop, etc. Just a thought.

And I would have to echo a few others here in that MANY skiiers I've had a chance to ride with/around did truly have an appreciation for what I was able to do on alpine snowbaord gear.

Still love the question: "Is that like a snowboard or something :confused: " Hence, my sig :D

Headin' up tomorrow to scrape...uh, I mean carve the snow. Gonna bring some Bomber cards w/me too :biggthump

I'm from a family with ALL skiers. Husband, kids, in-laws, everybody. I was out riding with the in-laws and all one day last year. We had stopped in the lift line and I had just popped by boot out when this skier comes flying into the lift line and crashes, taking out a bunch of the ropes (along with my then three year old, almost. I lifted her up and he slid right where she had been standing.) He gets up, stomps over to me and starts screaming at me about me going too fast and being out of control. I'm kind of looking down at this angry little man and my father-in-law says, from his skis. "Sir? I'm sorry but wouldn't that be the pot calling the kettle black?" The guy wanted patrol called, the whole nine. And the really funny part was when patrol showed up. They were the same cats I had been riding with when I was supposedly out of control. :ices_ange This guy didn't even realize I was a girl until I spoke to the patrol guys. With all the gear, helmet, goggles, the fact that I'm a solid six foot when I'm on my board. Guess I can see that. But he actually said he wanted to fight with me. I just stood there, I couldn't pop an old guy, you know?

I notice younger skiers seem to appreciate a good carve, though. One of my kid's ski team friends said, "Wow! Your mom's so cool!" LOL! I laughed my butt off at that one. He wanted to know if he could do it on skis. I told him to ask his coach about that. LOL!

In my experience, it's older skiers or insecure skiers who have had a problem with snowboarders. You know, the guys who spout off in the lodge about what a great skier they are, how many black diamonds they've skied, then you see them on the hill in the "statue wedge" as my hubby calls it. Good skiers don't seem to have a problem, in my experience.

My more than two cents, I guess LOL!,

Jager

the only vaild argument that skiiers would have agasint twintip snowboarders is that some of them just sit in the middle of the hill to strap in, which pisses me off too, but anything elese i just find stupid. One more tidbit, for some reason on my school's ski trips they require snowboarders to wear helmets but not skiiers.

Well, we are a "blended" family. My skiing husband introduced me to snowboarding. My daughter prefers to ski. My son will be taking his first snowboarding lessons this season.

I wear a helmet faithfully, esp. after my concussion at Tahoe last year...

I got my daughter a helmet and got griped out by my son(age 6) because he didn't get a helmet, too. Somehow, his learning to ski and riding a magic carpet up the kiddie slope didn't seem too dangerous to ME, at least....

I bought some snowblades last year. Took me 15 minutes to learn to ski in them-yes, I just used my skating experience and leaned into the sidecut for some pristine carves....

My experience with skiiers...Hmmm, most realize I'm in my 40's. If I chit-chat on the lift with them, most tell me that carving looks like fun but they are too afraid to learn. If I chit-chat at the lodge with them, they think I'm a skiier until I get my board....

Scraping snow? I tell them the proper technique is to ride edges, and, for the most part, skis have more surface area on the snow than a snowboard. I also mention the "pizzas" dotting the landscape....

Attitude? That's easy--kids skiing 20-30 years ago had the same attitude that the jibbers do now. It's an age thing, not a snowboarding thing

If a skier makes any type of negative comment to me about snowboarders I just ask them if they enjoy the sidecut on their skiis. Even better if they have twin tips. They can thank snowboarders for that. If they still have atitude, I simply tell them that they're spending money to do what I get paid to do, ride the mountain.

D-Sub, I guess he was pissed because he felt I was out of control on another part of the mountain. I was just out with friends from patrol on their break, freeriding, which for me means laying them down. He felt it looked like I was out of control on the lay downs so he chased me down the mountain. And that I was going too fast. It's a bit tricky to lay them down barely moving, in my experience. LOL! When he couldn't find me after that run, he saw me later and got in my face after his spectacular crash. And, for the record, had he hit my baby girl, I would have had to rage on him. LOL! Maybe he felt like the mountain enforcer. He was a bit perturbed when patrol came and I said, "What's up, brah?" to the guys. LOL! I think now he was just a grumpy old man. And, maybe my size did intimidate him a bit. I could see that. LOL!

absolutely hilarious. youre certain you didnt cut anyone off or anything? sounds like you know what youre doin, so I doubt it.

the best part is that he was tryin to scold you for bein a kook, but threw a yard sale at the base? awesome

you know...the only time Ive ever had any bodily contact with anyone was with a SKIER, and a fairly good one. I was cruising Chipper run at Bach...riding a borrowed rossi 190. theres an area where two runs merge, and the merge is "uphill" from the run I was on...I hit a toeside real hard, swing back up and drop into a heelside, and right as Im sinking into the heelside I see a flash of yellow out of the corner of my eye...nothing I could do at that point. I clip this dude...manage to stay up long enough to watch him explode and cartwheel down the hill...

Im still hauling ass and I try to stand/switch to toeside and lose it. luckily it was mostly just sliding, but I slide by the guy...when I stop I look up hill and "what the hell are you doing?!?!?!?"

he said "man...you were lookin so good I kinda forgot to pay attention!" He was laughing...I wasnt really. scared the hell out of me. then he said "I figuerd I should whistle or yell or something " as he was comin from behind/uphill

"WHY DIDNT YOU?!?!?!"

"dunno"

errrr...ok. no one's hurt, but I had a real hard time commiting to turns the rest of the day!

Ah, yes. The classic topic. Yep, I've heard all that stuff and more and find it annoying. I grew up skiing and ski racing so whenever I hear this crap I always ask whether they have tried snowboarding and suggest that once they do they just won't want to go back on their skis. By the way I talk it is pretty clear to them that I have an extensive skier background and, quite honestly, find skiing pretty blase and don't understand why a very accomplished skier (or someone who has hit a plateau at any level) wouldn't like to try a new challenge.

In my experience it is the intermediates and advanced intermediates who think they own the hill and are the most bothersome. They haven't quite reached the confidence with their skis to know how to share the hill and are troubled by "ruts" and the snow shaved off by skidding boarders. BTW, in many mogul fields the skiers skid the snow away too. :boxing_sm

I don't get many negative comments from people. As much as I enjoy riding alone I also go out of my way to be friendly to people on the ride up. If somebody is having a bad day they're gonna b!tch about something. I just try to change the subject. If it gets to be too much I just hit play and turn the volume up on the headphones.

Bad form and inexperience seem to push the snow off of the hill whether someone is on skis or board, at least that's what I tell people when I've heard them make that comment. If I hear a comment about the trenches I'm leaving - what, huh? I didn't catch that, I'm colorblind, where am I? I have come from the outer reaches of space for human samplings - you look like a healthy specimen. That usually changes the subject.

ROFLMAO, Erik J! Oh, boy!

I'm always super conscious of where other people are on the hill. When you figure that in the winter, I jump to 150 lbs. from muscle weight, and how fast am I moving to lay it down fully. Math is my weak point but I know that if I hit somebody at that weight and speed, I could do some damage. If there is no way for someone to get into my path, I might amp it up a couple notches and let it fly, but otherwise, I'm pretty tame. And, of course, if I'm completely away from other people, I have to amp it up and lay it down. I mean, if you have wings, fly darn it!

If I hear a comment about the trenches I'm leaving - what, huh? I didn't catch that, I'm colorblind, where am I? I have come from the outer reaches of space for human samplings - you look like a healthy specimen. That usually changes the subject.

LOL. :lol: I JUST FIGURED OUT WHAT MY COSTUME OUTFIT IS GONNA BE!! I am going to be an alien on my board someday this season. Does anybody know if you can choke yourself laying trenches with a cape? Or if you have antennae's on your helmet if there is any "interference"? Rocky Horror Picture Show comes to mind.

Well the helmet things makes sense. When snowboarders fall they don't have bunch of skis and poles tumbling town the mountain behind them, threatening to beat their skulls in just as everything comes to a stop. Whereas snowboarders hardly every hit their heads with their boards, I mean you'd have to be a contortionist. So that's why skiers usually... oh wait, they don't... idiots. And snowboarders hardly ever... oh wait, they usually do... careful people I guess.