Note to New Members ×

Looking for a pair of carving skis

forrest

Hey I'm looking to get a pair of carving skis. I am finally trying to get rid of my old strait planks. however when I started looking I realized that skiers don't talk about the characteristics of skis all that well. So i'm throwing it out to you all. I'm looking for a pair of lively skis that are fairly agressive and quick and will allow me to carve somewhat like I do with my board. i've been looking at fisher rc4's or volkl p50-60 or supersport series, I'm also wondering what sidecuts people are skiing, I like the idea of a tight sidecut but have never skied with one so I don't know what the limitations are.

thanks

how ironic that skiers are not as able to describe their skis as we are about boards.

I demo the volkl line every year. I was on t50's for the last three years. This year I have picked up the Racetiger SL in a 160. Every year on demo day they are my favorite. They feel like they are somewhere in between my SL and GS boards. Of course, you are in Maine, so you may want something that opens up a little more.

Here are the skis that I got and love at my small mt.:

http://www.volkl.com/ski/racetiger_sl_racing.html

Here are the skis that I would recommend for a bigger mountain:

http://www.volkl.com/ski/ss_allstar.html

Volkl P50 Slalom Carvers, 156 cm with Salomon bindings and a Volkl plate, $175.

Volkl P50 World Cup (Race Stock) SLC, 155 with Marker 1400 bindings, $200

I can send e-mails with better photos than I can post here so if you want a photo of anything please reply to jparker@sopris.net

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=7286

Go here for anything ski related. There is so much info there it may boggle your mind.

http://www.epicski.com/

How tall are you, weight, skier level and what type of terrain are you going for? The Volkl's that Pat put up above are mine and I used them strictly on the groomers. they are carving machines and for my size I can turn them as tight as my carving boards. Ski's have come a long way. I can do full body drags now just like my board. I changed skis for this coming season because my girlfriend likes bumps. Neither my carving boards or the Volks liked that to much so I picked up a new pair of Atomic allmtn carvers, B5's, awesome skis but not cheap!!!!.

I am 160#, expert skier/boarder, 5'10" and the 155 Volks carve awesome. If your bigger than me then start looking in the 160 to 170 range. Look at waist widths too. To narrow a waist with these new skis and you are always turning. The new skis don't like to run flat much these days but wider waists do make them more stable at speed. Go to epicski and get everything you might want for info.

It's all fun...Joel

I'm buying a pair of skiis for the first time in 10 years. I picked out the Atomic SX10s based on a test ride from last season. A little mellower than the SX11s which allows me to ski a little slower with the family. The SX11, SL11 need serious speed to make them turn.

I tried Volkl 5 stars last year and didn't like them as much as the Atomics. The Atomics seemed to have more snap.

and for a couple years prior as well many of the hardcores at sunday river were in love with the RC4 SLs but the model with a sidewall not a cap.

what they were saying is that other than in bumps and powder SL skis were ideal cruisers if you like to turn.

Gotta agree about the Atomics.

I have a four year old pair of 9:12 Slaloms in a 160 length and they carve beautifully. It's like being on ice skates.

Avoid anything labled "all mountain". I have a pair of Salomon Screams that really take effort to get on edge.

Someone once described "all mountain" as equipment that sucks equally at everything.

My husband swears by his Atomics....I was the one who suggested getting skis-he usually rented prior to meeting me, although he had his own boots. I've suggested fat skis since then for pow-he says he doesn't need 'em (of course, since we have to fly to snow, pow days for us are just a dream, for now)

And, Atomics are reasonably priced.....

Atomic's are expensive, but check out the Metron B5's. I got a pair last year and they actually are an all mountain carver that carve great, float in the pow, and deal with crud well. You ski them quite short though. The 162cm is more than enough ski for my 185lbs. 11m sidecut so it has a slalom feel, but they are very stable at stupid speeds.