Note to New Members ×

Is this a new deelux boot ?

BobD

In an ideal snowboarding world, something like this would be the standard, typical, normal, everyday, usual, regular snowboard boot for the masses. It could come in a bunch of different models, ranging from an Indy-like stiff hard boot, to a flexy freestyle model, and all would use the same boot/binding interface. There'd be no big gap between "hard" and "soft" boots. Instead the range of models would be equally spaced along the stiffness spectrum.

No "hard-booters", no "soft-booters", just one world of snowboarding love.

Couldn't agree more on that. It'd make the continuum of alpine boards to freestyle boards a lot smoother, too.

So everybody'd be on bails? I like that idea...although you could probably use straps on a boot like that...

That would make it really easy for people to move towards carving, as well...

as I wondered about this boot (sold on ebay.de some last week), it is from 01 or 02 season, dead end model, have been produced in very little quantity and terminated due to lack of interest. looks like last deeluxe' try to innovate in hardboot niche market.

seems VERY pity to me, as I like an idea very much too - I like to go backcountry in hardboots.

Baka Dasai: No "hard-booters", no "soft-booters", just one world of snowboarding love.

It would be great except then you'd have the step-in's vs. the standard bail's arguement :freak3: . :)

It's seems that there were a couple of tries into that market by a few manufacturers including K2 with their Clicker interface. It would be great to see some revolutionary development but seeing that the soft boot market is essentially very conservative (and fashion oriented by the way) I think it would be a big deal if you could actually change the inertia that the "standard" snowboard interface has (just look at what happened to step-ins, they just weren't "cool" for the more "progressive" rider).

just look at what happened to step-ins, they just weren't "cool" for the more "progressive" rider

Or maybe they just didn't work. An old friend of mine was an engineer at Burton, working in the boot department. One day, a year or two after Burton introduced their SI system, I saw him at Sugarloaf, and he was using good ol' strap bindings. Burton's hype back then was how they didn't want to roll out their SI system until they got it right. So I had been thinking it must be pretty good, and I was surprised to see my friend in "old-tech" straps. I asked him why he wasn't using step-ins. He shook his head and simply said "they just suck. There's no comparison."

yeah the Burton step-ins tried to do something (not sure what it was... be exactly like a strap system?) and what ever it was it didn't seem to work very well. My own personal experience with Clickers was great (I wanted them for soft boot carving) but I wanted more variety for boots available so had to go to straps (Catek Freerides) to get the choice of boot I wanted. I've heard that people had problems with that and other systems as well but I think it was because the development cycle was sort of aborted before the baby could grow up and not because of any inherent dificulties with the concept. Of course, this is only my opinion... (this IS another one of those annual debates here in Bomber that is always entertaining to talk about :) )

My own personal experience with Clickers was great (I wanted them for soft boot carving) but I wanted more variety for boots available so had to go to straps

Yep, I too have fond memories of K2 Clickers (the highback version). It's just that they stopped making the one compatible boot model that fit me. That's OK, I got started hardbooting soon after ;)

there was some kastinger like this 10 years ago; not exactly a new idea, but not easy to wander around in (like a softie) when in the bar, nor as performance as a hardboot...so not so surprised it didn't work...

but as a powder boot? Would be pretty nice I would think...never was so convinced with the clikcers.

Or maybe they just didn't work. An old friend of mine was an engineer at Burton, working in the boot department. One day, a year or two after Burton introduced their SI system, I saw him at Sugarloaf, and he was using good ol' strap bindings. Burton's hype back then was how they didn't want to roll out their SI system until they got it right. So I had been thinking it must be pretty good, and I was surprised to see my friend in "old-tech" straps. I asked him why he wasn't using step-ins. He shook his head and simply said "they just suck. There's no comparison."
I'm liking the look of the new BOA system with the cable in the lace up. Flow seems to be the softie binding of choice. I haven't had a softie set up in years but I think I'm gonna pick up a STIFF softie setup and learn how to ride fakie again. Any suggestions ?

Hey Willywhit,

I use Vans boots with the BOA system for my soft setup and I like them alot. I could never seem to get me laces tight enough before I got those. Now I can just twist the dial anytime I need to. As for the bindings I've been using Switch for several years and like those too but I'm also a sucker for the SI's.

Guest Randy S.

designers that put frivolous crap on footwear should be spoken to harshly

Like that swoosh on your sneakers? Would you buy the same sneaks w/out it? Silly post. Besides, they probably are some sort of reinforcing thing.

Hey, the swoosh make the shoes faster....

And red Keds were faster than the blue ones when I was a kid, too!!!

Until I convinced my sister to switch colors with me, then I found out longer legs were faster....

Face it, we'd be living in a Walmart world without our brand names

Like that swoosh on your sneakers? Would you buy the same sneaks w/out it? Silly post. Besides, they probably are some sort of reinforcing thing.

sorry homey, but I dont wear nike for ethical reasons. plus...their plain shoes look ok...the swoosh is a logo

its when they put vents, and airfoils and **** that it starts getting stupid. take a walk through a Ross or Marshalls and see all the reject shoes...gotta wonder how those designs were approved

anyway, yes, silly post. sorry rick

DC shoes is exactly the same reason, they have all those plastic shiny dongly things like Nike gear has, kinda reminds me of what some of the ski companies do with their topsheets with all the stupid slogans and useless plastic things that break off if you actually ski on them.

Kind of reminds me of the way Intel markets the Centrino like there is no alternative to it when all it is a 915 E chipset with intel 802.11b/g WiFi and in general how many PC manufacturers love to put those annoying stickers all over everything.

as far as the wal-mart world goes the big brand names are what are gonna get us there, the retail giants basically make it impossible for smaller retailers to compete and small manfacturers that actually have factories in countries with labor laws as well.

anyway I should probably say something on topic so here it is, those boots would rock for the pow days.

:lol: WTF? If I were Rick, I'd :flamethro you for that one.

Ethical reasons. That's a good one.

no no...I wasnt calling you rick. I was apologizing to him for my silly post!

:)

you can flame me too, though

as for nike...its pretty well known that they emply some low-level tactics in their manufacturing process, so I choose not to support them

youre the one that brought them into this, though, not me

all I was saying was I hate stupid "flair" on functional items. its just plain dumb...like bob says with DC (although they do have some "standard" shoes and snowboard boots)...things just get uglier and uglier and people buy right into it!