Note to New Members ×

who ordered a coiler this coming season?

bobdea

or any custom for that matter?

if so what are you getting?

for mine I have not decided yet exactly what size and width but my idea is to go for no compromize carving machine, so if a custom shape is whats needed thats what it will be.

My basic idea is something racey but with a full nose and a round tail on it, in the low 180s with a 19 cm waist is what I am thinking right now.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish. Bruce's list closed just before I wanted to get on it.

Come Jan 1 I want to get on the list for an AM 177 with some tweaks and possibly an RC184.

I should have a used PR188 WCC built for my weight on its way soon so I have my Coiler fill for the time being.

What are you having built bob? And when do you expect delivery?

but what I would like to aim for is a board that bridges the length/ turn size gap between my AM 173/ 9.9 scr and my PR 190/15 scr

so what I was thinking was something similar to the racarve 180 but with a round tail on it.

who knows though, until I talk to Bruce and see what he has in mind for me.

anything that I get will rock I am sure of that, that guy sure can work some magic with a little wood, some plastic and steel.

but what I would like to aim for is a board that bridges the length/ turn size gap between my AM 173/ 9.9 scr and my PR 190/15 scr

so what I was thinking was something similar to the racarve 180 but with a round tail on it.

who knows though, until I talk to Bruce and see what he has in mind for me.

anything that I get will rock I am sure of that, that guy sure can work some magic with a little wood, some plastic and steel.

That sounds somewhat like a long AM177 to me. Did you get into this season's build queue? If so, lucky bastard! =). The RC series seems like a lot of fun actually. A small enough sidecut to cruise around mountain, but enough length to really tear it up when need be.

That sounds somewhat like a long AM177 to me. Did you get into this season's build queue? If so, lucky bastard! =). The RC series seems like a lot of fun actually. A small enough sidecut to cruise around mountain, but enough length to really tear it up when need be.

since I rode my first Coiler I have been addicted so I do is make sure I have a spot for next years run!

since I rode my first Coiler I have been addicted so I do is make sure I have a spot for next years run!

I think you should yield your spots for those of us that have less than two Coilers already :cool: Heh... that or I need more people in the 150 lbs range to buy some Coilers, gush over them for a season, and then sell them like yesterday's newpapers :)

I think you should yield your spots for those of us that have less than two Coilers already :cool: Heh... that or I need more people in the 150 lbs range to buy some Coilers, gush over them for a season, and then sell them like yesterday's newpapers :)

I hope you don't really think a coiler will sell like yesterday's paper after one year. I've got three now and am having a hard time to let any of them go. Although my newest(AM172) rides so nice I'm hardly touching the race boards.

Guest Todd Stewart

i have no idea what to get, i'll probally just go with the same board i bought last time. That being a 184 pure race II. I'm thinking i might go a bit softer and try and get him to make it hook into turns a little quicker. However i only want it to hook into turn when i want it to, does anyone know if this is possible or is this a double edged sword senario

Oh yeah- waiting for a FC178… I got the chance to ride one last January and placed my order for my own the next day. Perfect for steep, icy, narrow east coast trails.

Does anyone know if Bruce is running on schedule? Last time I spoke to him he said sometime in November. Bruce is the man! Come on Coiler # 2.

AM172 and a PR 184 II...the suspence is killing me!!

Can't wait to ride my first coiler!

My two favourites but the AM reigns. I pull the 184 out for the occasional race or giant cruiser days.

You've made an excellent choice. My current riding spectrum is covered with the pair.

and Todd

you can try my AM at Kirby if you're ever there

Bob - how 'bout an adaptation of my AM custom: 182, 12.7 scr, 19.5 waist, 157 edge. If I could only keep one board, that'd be it. I love that board!

I was planning to place an order for a RC 175 on 1/1/06. But Sean @ Donek mentioned he's softened the FC series, so I'm going to try to demo a FC 171 from this year's batch to see if I get along with it better than the previous years' flex.

My ideal "steep and icy" board has the edge grip of the Madd 170, but a sidecut more in the Donek FC/Coiler RC range (in the 11's), and stiffness-wise comes in somewhere between the Madd and the older FC 171's - both in terms of overall flex and pattern.

that AM might be just about perferct.

My ideal board would be have similarities to a Madd as well, those boards are really great on the ice.

for me stiffness is where few boards work well in particular when the snow is soft.

Guest Todd Stewart

ACRrider- thanks, i think i'll be up at kirby sometime before christmas, I think i finish all my exam a week early this year which gives me lots of time to ride.

I ordered a Coiler 180 RaceCarve II with full options and some 'dutchy'

orange flames on it, can't hardly wait to try this new one. Have heard only satisfied customers at this forum so far, so it must be good :D :D (have been waiting a year now)

Greets, Hans.

I ordered a Coiler 180 RaceCarve II with full options and some 'dutchy'

orange flames on it, can't hardly wait to try this new one. Have heard only satisfied customers at this forum so far, so it must be good :D :D (have been waiting a year now)

Greets, Hans.

Bruce must have read this topic (just kidding), just got an email

from him that my COILER is ready to ship.

:biggthump:biggthump for BRUCE.

Greets, Hans.

I'm getting a weird thing that has been called an "EX", there are at least two of them in the Tahoe area, they are built to the same shape as a Swoard, 170 in length. Jim Farr and John K have them.

I like boards that are built with edge-hold on groomed trails in mind, not all-mountain, no tail, small nose, but slightly wider at around 21.5 to 22 so I can have angles in the 45-55 degree range.

That's what the Swoard is and the Coiler EX is supposed to be very similar. I'm taking a leap of faith having not ridden one, but am buying it based on Coiler's reputation and reports by John and Jim who have called it "The best carving board I have ever owned" or something like that.

Whoa.. whats this board all about? Are there photos of these boards anywhere? 170 length for how tall of a riders are Jim and John? Steve, how tall are you and what do you weigh? If you guys read this thread can you give me your 2 cents and/or a photo? That would be sweet! SCR? I'm waiting for a 19.5 waist 184 FC.. very stoked to get the stick.

Bruce if you read this I'm having probs sending out emails If you can give me an update on delivery that would be grand! We were talking about some new topsheet options but the more I see the Red Ellipse the more I like and would be more than happy with that if that speeds us along at all!!!. Very curious in this EX also!!! Thanks eh.

Kurt in Cowtown

I think you are talking about the Extreme Carve board. This is Bruce's personal favourite for free-carving in Southern Ontario. It works best in hard-pack but has too little effective edge for ice and its stiffness and short ECR (edge cut radius) make it a nervous little thing. You need to be on your game with it but it will carve like nothing else when the conditions are right. It was initially inspired by the Swoard and its chief difference from boards of similar shape and length is that the side cut continues up the shovel a few centimeters before the shovel nose shape starts. This means that the nose initiates aggressively. The board is also wider to permit lower binding angles. The board is also wider to permit lower binding angles.

Ordered a custom this year but it turned out to be the same design as Jasey's boardercross board. Bruce convinced me to wait until Jasey returns one and I can try it out.

Does anyone here have a Wife who understands why we need to wait in line for a Coiler instead of buying a board from a store like every one else? I tell my wife that I should put my name in now for a board I will get in 2 years, she just rolls her eyes and says that I just bought a board, why would I need another.

They just don't understand do they?

Hmm... ECR is that the same as sidecut radius? The Swoards have a rather large one depending on the flex (I think) for determining the turning radius (how "active" you are in the turn, again... I think, i.e. not speaking from experience). Sounds like the Coiler (stiffer) would be better for rougher conditions and the Swoard (softer) for smoother conditions. Any thoughts?

I'm getting a Swoard this year since I just missed getting on the list last year but might pick one up two seasons from now (the wife factor :smashfrea )