Note to New Members ×

Hats on helmets.

Rob Stevens

Pants which look like they're denim. They're hard to get these days, but I have a secret stash bought when they were in fashion. I get people who claim to recognize me from the pants alone, so it must be a "calling card".

spacer.png
At resorts more generally it's probably more "that guy with hard boots" I suppose. Or "that guy with hard boots kicking our ass" if I'm lucky.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I wear old school ski gaiters.  They're handy for snaking the Intec cables through.  I'm also usually the only Alpine boarder, and everybody recognizes me since you can see the entire hill from the base.

WHSnowtrails1a.jpg.3b6d8059bdc1eb05ac4daea42bedd44a.jpg

Edited by Wolf
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wolf said:

I'm also usually the only Alpine boarder

This! Plus st-lupo's signature on the hill.

When you do another lap every 7 minutes on a small hill with few run choices, everyone knows where you've been. 

• Like 2

^ Trenches have been taken already, so I have to settle for smoking the skiers in the mogul runs. 

Other than that, I have large Cypress stickers on each side of my helmet. 

Edited by BlueB

1 hour ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

I usually tape my sandwich to my helmet

That’s a product

9 hours ago, BlueB said:

^ Trenches have been taken already, so I have to settle for smoking the skiers in the mogul runs. 

Other than that, I have large Cypress stickers on each side of my helmet. 

Ride moguls

10 hours ago, st_lupo said:

Here is my calling card, sometimes visible from LEO.  Small children have refused to participate in ski school when I've been spotted at the hill.

calling_card.jpg

You’re so fast your track is already there. 

12 hours ago, Wolf said:

I wear old school ski gaiters.  They're handy for snaking the Intec cables through.  I'm also usually the only Alpine boarder, and everybody recognizes me since you can see the entire hill from the base.

WHSnowtrails1a.jpg.3b6d8059bdc1eb05ac4daea42bedd44a.jpg

I have so much time for gaiters. There was a time where I was co fronted with having to go without them and I almost didn’t. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, philw said:

Pants which look like they're denim. They're hard to get these days, but I have a secret stash bought when they were in fashion. I get people who claim to recognize me from the pants alone, so it must be a "calling card".

spacer.png
At resorts more generally it's probably more "that guy with hard boots" I suppose. Or "that guy with hard boots kicking our ass" if I'm lucky.

You were on the US Olympic Team, that’s how you got those. 
I knew I’d seen you somewhere. 

On 3/12/2024 at 5:40 PM, Neil Gendzwill said:

Pretty much the hard boots is my calling card.  Usually the only guy riding alpine at Louise or Sunshine. 

Also the 3 decade old Sims gauntlets. 
IMG_1166.jpeg.a7bfb59f3ac253c20748efc927aea647.jpeg

Sims anything

• Haha 1

Homemade hand helmets, built from HDPE 1.5 litre garden spray pots and old ski poles. Think heavy duty slalom skiers punch guards with more coverage even than Komperdell's World Cup model. My avatar photo shows the 2nd iteration version in use, I'm now onto the 4th.

Had them called "jugs", "knuckle draggers", "sliders", "training wheels", "inelegant" but after breaking the index finger of my dominant hand, needing a 3hr operation and a year of hand exercises to get the mobility back, and making my living with my hands I won't ride without them.

And they're an even surer conversation starter on a lift than a full hard boot setup with an isolation plate.

Edited by SunSurfer

Elwood Blues here.  When my brother Jake finally got sprung from Joliet we
"got the band back together" and headed for Killington.  We weren't hard to spot....

busted (2020_06_09 09_43_06 UTC).jpg

blues bros 1 (2020_06_09 09_43_06 UTC).jpg

blues bros 2 (2020_06_09 09_43_06 UTC).JPG

• Like 5