Note to New Members ×

Guns

NateW

So,

It seams we have cowboy-action shooters, as well as being "carvers extraordinaire" in our midst?

Back to guns, 'cause it's boosting my post count. Struggling with next purchase, like so many struggle with next snowboard purchase.

FAL, or 1911. Two different beasts, for different jobs. Kinda like Pow board v. race deck. You want both 'cause every so often you get good pow, and, you gotta be prepared. Then there's the times when one of B. Vassara's or S. Martin's machines would just slay on an icy day. Leaning towards Kimber for the 1911, and I know what I'm gonna do for an FAL. Want the Kimber, 'cause it's a 1911 dammit! But an FAL is so sweet, and my rifle selection is wanting, 'cause of the boating accident. I wish I just liked snowboards, 'cause it'd be less expensive.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So,

It seams we have cowboy-action shooters, as well as being "carvers extraordinaire" in our midst?

Back to guns, 'cause it's boosting my post count. Struggling with next purchase, like so many struggle with next snowboard purchase.

FAL, or 1911. Two different beasts, for different jobs. Kinda like Pow board v. race deck. You want both 'cause every so often you get good pow, and, you gotta be prepared. Then there's the times when one of B. Vassara's or S. Martin's machines would just slay on an icy day. Leaning towards Kimber for the 1911, and I know what I'm gonna do for an FAL. Want the Kimber, 'cause it's a 1911 dammit! But an FAL is so sweet, and my rifle selection is wanting, 'cause of the boating accident. I wish I just liked snowboards, 'cause it'd be less expensive.

Before you spend all that money on the 1911 try out the Beretta Cougar 40SW , It is one heck of a fine fit and shoots better than most handguns. Wonderful peice of equipment to have around the house.

Iwant to build one of those super accurate JIM CHAMBERS flintlock kits...Hes the guy who supplied the rifles fgor THE PATRIOT film with MEL GIBSON. Ivisited OLD SALEM NORTH CAROLINA ONCE AND FELL IN LOVE WITH tigermaple stocks and 1 in 66 twist barrels.

Ibuilt a poorboy mountain rifle kit from that big catalog place down south and it was super accurate but i felt weird when i discovered it was ajapaneses steel barrel.......deadnuts accurate......check out jimchambersflintlocks.com...

Guest Ghostrider

Forgot about my real "pieces"

Ruger k10/22RPF magnum with longrange scope, big clip, stablizing legs and a barren extender w/vent. stainless and black...looks fun and its super fun for picking stuff off at long range.

Hmmmm......lets see...

CCW while in TX: Detonics Combat Master 45 as seen here

CCW while in CA: Harsh language

Hog/boar pistol: Ruger Redhawk 7" SS 44 Mag with a Ultradot sight

Pin/IPDA pistol: CZ 85 Combat 9mm

as seen here over 250 thousand rounds and only one trip back to Kansas ( worn trigger return spring and rod )....and yes I use a 9mm FMJ for pins, just for grins more than anything...it helps if you "Hit the white part"

Hunting rifle: Winchester 70 7mm Rem Mag

Duck gun: Remington 870 12g

Goose gun: H&R 10g ( 36" barrel )

then after getting sick of Texas style hunting, Wing Slim Line recurves bows

as seen here

I see some of you guys talking about pistolas for home defense. Let me see; house wall-studs 2 layers of sheetrock-bullet like butta through the walls and right into whoever's on the other side. Chances it ain't the Burglar.

Be smart use a shotgun. Less chance of missing and a lot less chance of being lethal on the other side of the wall. Other pluses. Your kids are going to have a much harder time cocking it, or playing with it, or sneaking it out of the house to kill the neighbors kid because he dissed your kid. You have the option of cracking the burglar over the head and not spend $80,000 in attorneys fees, trying to get out of a manslaughter charge. Of course you lose all bragging rights to your friends about how you blew the guys head clean off, and miss all those sessions with the Shrink trying to get the thought of brains and eyeballs splashed all over your home, not to mention the $80,000 you spend in Psycoanalysis. Let us not forget the neighbors as they cross the street in order to avoid having to pass you, and look you in the eye.

44 Magnum $1200. Box of Cartridges $52. Blowing someone away and ruining your life Priceless.

I own a Stainless 12 guage Winchester with an 18" barrel and Pistol Grip. I can pretty much guarantee that firing it at someone will be a last resort, and it will never go out of my house, unless for target practice. (Exception: When the Government comes to tell me to go to church.)

Well it is summer, so why not

Well this topic could go on forever

Well coming from a military sniper background

& also a instructor -- several yr’s on the state rifle team I would like to say I have never met a gun That I didn’t like I don’t seem to shoot that much any more nor do I hunt like I used to.. Why I hang on to over 60 weapons Im not sure However like everyone I have my favorites my favorite rifle is my match grade M-14

yes I have a m-16 but I prefer the 14 when I travel I carry a little model 60

Hunting I feel smaller is better relining on shot placement off course that’s depending on the game at hand

just for kicks & giggles I like to shoot large hand guns a T/C with a 45/70 barrel

& look this one up A SSK hand cannon in 375 jdj this is custom made with a scope & muzzle break(sweet) I think they have a web site !

I can see it now -- hand guns on the sides of snowboarders that would keep the neg. comments from skiers to a min.

i've got a fever today so I'm just sitting here reading this and I'm really surprised! I knew there were cultural differences in the States, and pretty much the only State I spend much time in is Vermont, so I guess I really didn't know the extent of it?

I've heard that it's common for kids to "pack gats" even in places like Aspen let alone the big cities!?!? Even younger people have them? Is it common for unlicensed people to "pack heat"?

When you say "carry" does that actually mean carrying it around concealed on the street, or do you mean packed away, ready to go in your house for burglars? hell i don't even leave my doors locked when i go out. sometimes the porch door is WIDE open and clearly visible and all cars are gone but nothing happens.

All guns should be melted down and made into bicycles, then people would have to fight with their fists and legs, the real way!

Well I wish to harm no one But my family & friends will be protected I could but will not tell you stories . Although , I have heard it said: that a well armed citizen is just that a (citizen) a unarmed citizen is a subject !!!!

Also I have heard : God created man / Sam Colt made them equal

something to think about / you can feel enyway you want

Guest thomas_m
Uh oh.... if this turns into a 9mm vs 45 debate, I might have to suggest closing the thread. :-)

I don't own a gun yet, but my girlfriend and I got into target shooting this summer and now we're both looking for 1911s. There's something fascinating about trying to hold perfectly still while making something go BANG really lould and try to jump out of your hand. And there's something very satisfying about shooting a tight group. It's kinda like golf - minus the scenery and all the walking around lugging heavy stuff.

I went in to get a concealed carry permit a few weeks ago but they only offer them twice a week (for a two hour window each day). Basically it's all about making holes in paper, but I figure it's like a helmet - if I leave it at home the one day I actually need it, I'll feel like the world's biggest idiot.

Hi Nate. If you like 1911's you might want to check out the H&K USP. It has a lot of the 1911-like features in a more modern firearm. I have the USP 'Expert' a long-slide version geared toward competition shooting that you are welcome to try sometime if you'd like. It's extremely accurate due to the long o-ringed barrel and feeds very reliably. The newer 'Elite' is probably even more accurate but has a long-ass barrel. Both are too big to carry if you have that in mind. The 'Compact' is perfect though. They are a bit pricey though probably cheaper than a tricked out custom 1911:

H&K .45ACP USP Expert

Joining it in the big metal box are an H&K P7M8 (my favorite just for the cool engineering and 'pointability'), a few Glock/Sigs and assorted long guns both shot and rifle.

Also... Look into a defensive handgun class if you plan on carrying anywhere. I got my permit in Bellevue about 6 years ago and look a bunch of classes from Weapons Safety, pistol, knife, etc. I learned a helluva lot about both practical and legal issues.

One last thing to think about when deciding on a caliber is ammunition cost. .45ACP is expensive so if that's your choice and you plan on spending a decent amount of time at the range, I'd budget for a basic pistol reloading setup. .45ACP is a breeze to reload and cheap compared to buying retail.

Thomas

That said, I own a couple of guns but not for the standard reasons. I find them fascinating mechanical devices. Quite a bit of technology and engineering go into these and a lot can be learned (mechanically). Think about it, a hand-held device that lets you contain and control a small explosion as well as accurately aim a projectile. Pretty cool IMHO. And don't forget, they might also be 100% tool-less assembly. Assemble and dis-assemble with your hands only.

........... :ices_ange

Without a doubt, IMHO this is the best response in this whole thread - and from who better than our mechno-techno BOL founder!!

Keep it real:)

Don't know why I was surprised to find this thread while lurking BOL...just another reason to visit all year long.

As for what guns I own, lets just say my wife says I had too many and then my father passed away and I inherited another full vault. Pretty much have some of every variety except for Class III.

While I enjoy all types of shooting I think this thread hasn't given nearly enough recognition to the art of pulverizing simultaneously launched clay targets travelling faster than the average stationary bowling pin. I like shooting my hi-capacity autoloaders and really enjoy my ruger rimfires (10/22, Single-Six and MkII) but to me there really isn't anything like 100 sporting clay targets with either my Beretta Silver Prigeon or my Browning Lightning.

When I lived in CO I actually had the pleasure of carving at Beaver Creek in the morning and then shooting some trap out in Wolcott on the same day. Everyone lucky enough to live in out in CO should check out the Vail Rod and Gun club.

I grew up shooting rifles...lived for it as a kid. Shot in the NRA Junior rifle program, smallbore silhouette, DCM service rifle matches, etc. Never really got into the trap/skeet/sporting clays, or handgun scenes. I don't shoot firearms too much anymore, with the exception of my flintlock longrifle. Blackpowder and patched round balls still equals enjoyment. My true love really lies in archery. I do virtually all of my shooting and hunting with selfbacked wooden bows of my own making.

FuzzysFury2a.jpg

Nice Bows AK. - From what they made?

The Hawken is a .54 Cal and the Rigby style target is a .45 Cal.

The Rigby has 24 lines/in full wrap checkering on a beautiful French Walnut Stock and a half round half octagon barrel. The .54 shoots best with a patched ball and FFF and is a fine hunting piece. The Rigby is very heavy so target only and a great piece of eye candy.

post-53-141842205018_thumb.jpg

post-53-14184220502_thumb.jpg