Note to New Members ×

BTS for UPZ Boots???

Jadyn

What model of UPZ boots do you have?  If you want factory UPZ parts to fully mod your boots, there are stiffer spring sets available, in addition to a full suite of springs with the RCR boxed set.  You can also order stiffer outer tongues and swap cuffs if your cuff isn’t the stiffest version, depending on boot. No need to go over seas as the North American market is covered by the aptly named UPZ North America.   Direct your browser to UPZBoots.com to order.  They are located in the inter mountain West of the United States now.  They are also on Instagram.

Edited by CB Utah
  • Like 1

I ride Drupi's DGSS, because I found the boot too stiff. Installing the system is a breeze, it uses the original holes and you can use different springs. But if you want to go stiffer still, RCR may be the way to go.

If you're looking to stiffen up the boot, swapping the stock UPZ black tongue for the stiffer silver or darK gray ones might be more effective than a spring system. 

Swap the tongue to change fore-aft stiffness, and the cuffs for lateral stiffness.  But it sounds like you're more interested in fore-aft.

• Like 2

The DGSS will be about $175 total, door to door from Italy. I have DGSS on my RCR’s and really like’em. I have BTS on my Deeluxe 325’s. DGSS’ are quiet!  If you’re in a hurry or on a budget, I can sell you UPZ RCR BOX Spring Kit (complete, w spring options) for $90+ship (from Idaho).

AND what JBurk said, Tongues probably better for stiffness increase. A spring system is great for smooth consistent resistant flexing, and a little increase range of flex.

@kibber can you share why you chose to upgrade from RCR to DGSS?  Presumably familiarity from your Deeluxe and/or more travel?  

I had Raichle's (fixed forward lean) before my UPZ RC11 and I found the newfound flex in the UPZ somewhat too much.  I upgraded to the stiffer orange race springs in the factory RC11 spring assembly and found that made a noticeable difference.  I also was using a fair amount of preload on the race spring as well.   I recently backed off the preload on the orange spring and am getting used to how that feels.  

I prob need to get used to more flex in the boot.  Watching the video Pat linked above makes me realize how big a difference there can be in flex / range of motion, should that be desirable. 

short answer: dgss has longer springs; more room to play & adj preload and still have range adj. similar to finding/adjusting the right bushings for skateboarding or longboarding; dialing in the suspension fork / shock on mt bike. I do have silver/stiff tongues (not thick gray) which probably accounts for 80% of feel and function I want. Spring system is more secondary and adjustable for snow (my mood) conditions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kibber said:

The DGSS will be about $175 total, door to door from Italy. I have DGSS on my RCR’s and really like’em. I have BTS on my Deeluxe 325’s. DGSS’ are quiet!  If you’re in a hurry or on a budget, I can sell you UPZ RCR BOX Spring Kit (complete, w spring options) for $90+ship (from Idaho).

AND what JBurk said, Tongues probably better for stiffness increase. A spring system is great for smooth consistent resistant flexing, and a little increase range of flex.

I just might take that off your hands. I get paid on Saturday. I'll let you know Friday evening, my zip is 96025, shouldn't be too much for shipping

I also think the stiffer tongues are the way to go.  Simple, cheaper, easy installation.  They add some lateral stiffness too, which I thought was needed.  UPZs already have a spring system you can adjust, may as well make use of the one you already paid for.

Another benefit of stiffer tongues is riding in walk mode becomes an option when conditions call for it.  I'd be afraid of breaking my ankles or rupturing an Achilles with the standard black tongues in walk mode.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CB Utah said:

What model of UPZ boots do you have?  If you want factory UPZ parts to fully mod your boots, there are stiffer spring sets available, in addition to a full suite of springs with the RCR boxed set.  You can also order stiffer outer tongues and swap cuffs if your cuff isn’t the stiffest version, depending on boot. No need to go over seas as the North American market is covered by the aptly named UPZ North America.   Direct your browser to UPZBoots.com to order.  They are located in the inter mountain West of the United States now.  They are also on Instagram.

I have RC10's, not sure on the year. Pre flat buckles and rivitless tongue. I've been wanting to modernize thw hardware on them via RCR Cuff, new rivitless tongue with the silver tongue and flat buckles.

1 minute ago, Jadyn said:

I just might take that off your hands. I get paid on Saturday. I'll let you know Friday evening, my zip is 96025, shouldn't be too much for shipping

sounds good. they’re not listed for sale anywhere; I’ll hold until you decide. yes, small box…the actual rcr box kit box.

Can anyone comment on DGSS vs the UPZ XC12 SHOXXTER "free flex"? @dhamann

I'm using the stock UPZ XC12 with the "free flex". I'm about 166 cm at 72 kg and typically looking to make my boots more flexible for Pure Boarding style of carving; not stiffer. 

1 hour ago, lafcadio said:

Can anyone comment on DGSS vs the UPZ XC12 SHOXXTER "free flex"? @dhamann

I'm using the stock UPZ XC12 with the "free flex". I'm about 166 cm at 72 kg and typically looking to make my boots more flexible for Pure Boarding style of carving; not stiffer. 

The DGSS system has more forward lean travel capacity than the "free flex" unit (from personal observation).  The "free flex" unit bottoms out later than the stock unit and sooner than DGSS.

• Thanks 1

On 2/1/2024 at 4:26 AM, lafcadio said:

I'm about 166 cm at 72 kg and typically looking to make my boots more flexible for Pure Boarding style of carving; not stiffer. 

I am about the same weight, although taller. I also wanted more flex. After installing the DGSS I found the (black) tongues to be the limiting factor. I exchanged them for the super-soft red ones, happy now.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Aracan said:

I am about the same weight, although taller. I also wanted more flex. After installing the DGSS I found the (black) tongues to be the limiting factor. I exchanged them for the super-soft red ones, happy now.

Same here...

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2024 at 1:33 AM, Aracan said:

Same here. I bought recently old RCR. That tongue was so hard, just to get in the boot was nightmare. I installed DGSS and bought new soft one hinge tongue and I can’t believe the results. The boots are now absolutely perfect

6 hours ago, Ladia said:

Same here. I bought recently old RCR. That tongue was so hard, just to get in the boot was nightmare. I installed DGSS and bought new soft one hinge tongue and I can’t believe the results. The boots are now absolutely perfect

For those that replaced the tongue too, how do you ride? What style?

I have heard a lot of flex is needed in extreme carving/ laid out carves, and racing is the opposite and it seems every boot manufacturer makes parts to stiffen the boots more. 

Are you more on the laid out carve side or more of the standard/ "bomber" style? 

Also are your binding angles above or below 55*?