Note to New Members ×

Help needed - Reliable repair shop in Summit County

tdifan_2003

Hi,

I am at Copper for a week snowboarding trip.

Just discovered a damage casualty to Southwest 😳😳. A ding on the edge that bent it. Not cut, just bent inward. 

It’s a 185 Virus GS board, so I’d prefer to give it to a shop that know what they are doing. 

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank God I brought … a few boards so I still can go and ride.

Thanks!!

Millen

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

42 minutes ago, Odd Job said:

JFC. I would make the airlines comp you.

I messaged you 3 alternatives in Summit County. All are top notch.

Upon further research, this type of damage is VERY common VERY 😳😳😳. And, a lot of tech are not familiar with how to properly fix it. Let’s see what local folks will say here. 

BTW, haven’t received any message yet.

Thanks!

Millen

Speaking from very recent experience it is going to be hard to find someone that will want to fix that.  I took mine to several people in the Vail valley and they all told me any attempted repair would only make the board weaker and is not worth it.  The ding on mine is A LOT bigger than yours though.  Definitely shop it around but don't be disappointed if they tell you to sharpen, squirt some super glue in the gaps and send it. I cant even tell on mine and the edge is displaced about 5mm north (over 3 cm) of its original resting place.  Is the base as raised as it appears in the photo?

On 1/7/2024 at 3:29 PM, tdifan_2003 said:

Upon further research, this type of damage is VERY common VERY 😳😳😳. And, a lot of tech are not familiar with how to properly fix it. Let’s see what local folks will say here. 

BTW, haven’t received any message yet.

Thanks!

Millen

Thanks! Thank God it is a smaller ding. I brought it to Mono Cera, by recommendation from the Odd dude ;), and they are fixing it now, I will report once I pick it up.

1 hour ago, Pat Donnelly said:

Maybe a Sportube for further travels or shipping snowboards. 

Thanks, but no :(. I usually travel with 3+ boards so no Sportube would help. Though, no I know how to pack them better. However the packing is, the edges have to be supper protected from outside. Yoga mats come to mind first, but there are plenty of - light and compact enough options out there. After all, with any airline, the whole package has to be <50 lbs. One of my faults is that I was lazy and did not completely remove the bindings. Doing so - will reduce weight AND help stack the boards better.

• Like 1

A double (ski) Sportube will hold three alpine boards with bindings removed; you might be able to place two sets of bindings on the top board but not using all screw sets.  On a few occasions I have seen soft-sided gear bags dragged across the tarmack and/or fall off a tug cart.   

Pipe insulation or swim/pool noodles can be rigged to guard edges or tips & tails.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I put 3 boards and one set of bindings on the top board in a Sportube 2 or 3 (use S 3 if carrying a wider powder board). Can do two sets of bindings on top board but staying under 50 lbs gets tricky with heavy bindings like TD3 SW. 

Pipe insulation is way too soft to protect edges. It just moves out of the way for an impact like the above. I use corrugated cardboard strips and strap the board tightly together

Hint: Air lines don't weigh carry-ons so I put dense stuff in them. 😉 Like bindings. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Corey said:

Wow, that's fantastic! 

Do you mean the edge protector or the other product they are offering?

image.png.23d673e1b78b6ced526d2cbda9f27405.png

On 1/7/2024 at 4:31 PM, tdifan_2003 said:

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank God I brought … a few boards so I still can go and ride.

image.jpeg

That is a very difficult to repair properly. Edge, base, sidewall and laminate will all be damaged. I don't see how you can really fix that. You would have to remove edge and base, replace part of the laminate and possibly sidewall, and then put in a new edge and base. But then you are better off building a new board.

Like Carvin Marvin said, sealing it  (if the edge disbonded from the sidewall) and grinding it down so nothing protrudes may be the best solution. Could well be better and stronger than doing a more elaborate repair. 

Where is it on the board? Tip, middle, tail? If it is between your feet you're unlikely to notice it at all. 

Edited by TimW

1 hour ago, TimW said:

Do you mean the edge protector or the other product they are offering?

image.png.23d673e1b78b6ced526d2cbda9f27405.png

That is a very difficult to repair properly. Edge, base, sidewall and laminate will all be damaged. I don't see how you can really fix that. You would have to remove edge and base, replace part of the laminate and possibly sidewall, and then put in a new edge and base. But then you are better off building a new board.

Like Carvin Marvin said, sealing it  (if the edge disbonded from the sidewall) and grinding it down so nothing protrudes may be the best solution. Could well be better and stronger than doing a more elaborate repair. 

Where is it on the board? Tip, middle, tail? If it is between your feet you're unlikely to notice it at all. 

Unfortunately, what you say is likely true. Especially for big hits. This was a minor one with the edge remaining intact. Let’s see what the shop in Dillon has done, picking it up tonight. 

They said the would lift the base, epoxy the bent edge tooth(s), bring the edge back in and reglue the base 🙏🤙🏼.

• 2 weeks later...

Hasn't the innernetz taught you anything?  Pool noodles FTW. Amazon. Slice it down the middle and wrap it around the edges. Hell, you can even buy them pre-sliced. 👍

Or a Sportube 3.  That's how we roll.  United hasn't defeated them yet. Yeah, I know, kiss of death. 🫤

20 hours ago, Kneel said:

Pool noodles FTW. Amazon. Slice it down the middle and wrap it around the edges. Hell, you can even buy them pre-sliced. 👍

I’ve had good luck with foam pipe insulation wrapped around the edges. It’s available at most every local hardware store.