Note to New Members ×

step-in recommendations

lamby

Does anyone have any comparisons they can share between these F2 step-in bindings:

F2 Intec Titanium

F2 Intec Titanflex

F2 Intec RS

I presently use F2 Carve RS bindings and like them. I have used f2 Race Titanium bindings in the past, which seemed stiff relative to the Carve RS. I'm primarily looking for a step-in set up for my powder board (not that we have powder, but still hopeful). I imagine once I try them on that board I will be sold on them completely and will want to make the upgrade all around:-)

The Intec Titanflex look intriguing, as the added damping and cushioning might be nice. Hips and knees might like that. But, wondering if the Intec RS will be plenty forgiving, and I appreciate that they are not as spendy as the Intec Titanflex.

Thanks in advance for any advice, thoughts, suggestions, ideas.

Step-ins need you to step in and exert downward pressure, even to release. I've found that tricky at times when I've fallen in deep soft snow. Not sure I would pick step-ins for a primarily powder board. I'm not a frequent powder rider, which may explain why I fall more often, and haven't worked out the best techniques for me in those conditions.

• Like 1

If you like the Carve RS, I believe the Intec RS are just the step in version. You’ll find them a bit stiffer, the step in mechanism takes out some slop. As Alan mentioned they can be tricky to get in or out of in deep powder. 

I have two pairs of the Titanflex and like them. They are stiffer than the RS but do offer some lateral movement. They add about 10 mm of stack height compared to the normal F2 design. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the helpful feedback SunSurfer and Neil. That they can be tricky in deep powder is good to know. I was thinking they might be a bit easier to release in the event of a tree well encounter, or for such times when a quick release could be helpful. Perhaps they would not be any easier to release. Sounds like the Intec RS would be the ticket if I decide to give them a try at some point. 🙏

I can see how nice they are for most resort riding, when the snow is not deep. So nice to be able to click in and go.

8 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

They add about 10 mm of stack height compared to the normal F2 design. 

I like the low height of my Carve RS, so this is really helpful to know.

@lamby re-reading your post. I am a firm proponent of stepins for on-piste riding, especially for older riders with stiffer backs. I ride F2 Race Intec bindings (and Bomber TD3 Intec) and find that technique and board damping are my major "softeners". I actually appreciate the instant response the firm lateral hold of Intecs provides given that I put my boards on edge using lateral foot pressure rather than a heel/toe technique.

I have my Intec cables mounted on the inner side of my boots after the outside caused heel pain through focal pressure from the cable despite moulding the liners. I also use extensions on the release handles, fed through the lower end of the vent zips on my trousers to make them easier to grab and have the snow cuffs completely down over my boots.

Edited by SunSurfer
add detail
  • Like 2

My advice would be not to fall over in powder, but I've used both step-in and clip-in F2 race bindings in those circumstances. On balance I'll go with the clip-in today. Rationale:

• I'm using AT ski boots (Backlands) so the choice is made.
  • In powder they're about the same to engage. You need to clear the snow out of them a bit whichever type you have. If you understand that, then they're the same.
  • Tree wells? Never been in one, but third parties would probably find the clip-ins more intuitive to operate should that be all that's sticking up.
  • Both are quick in/out in a flat traverse which you mis-read. With practice that almost never happens anyway.
  • Flex, well the step-ins are a bit more rigid as there's less play in the mount, but then modern carbon boots are stiffer, so it's a bit of a trade off.
  • I'm not that keen on the internal moving parts of Intec which are harder to inspect/ maintain than a simple clip.
  • I never stop on a run, so don't care about taking my boot out much.

I'd pay more for lighter bindings, but I don't think they exist.

• Like 1

Hey Chris as you know I've been rocking the SI for a few years now. TD3 SI Sidewinder for powder and been loving it. Not sure how the F2 does it, but it is imperative for me to get visual confirmation of both pins on the heel are engaged by looking down. I had a pair of Intec? brand heels that did not provide this line of sight visual and I quit using them because of it. 

Not using mine this winter if you want to try the TD3. It seems like they might be heavier and more height from the board but I love mine. Cheers buddy.

8 hours ago, carvedog said:

Hey Chris as you know I've been rocking the SI for a few years now. TD3 SI Sidewinder for powder and been loving it. Not sure how the F2 does it, but it is imperative for me to get visual confirmation of both pins on the heel are engaged by looking down. I had a pair of Intec? brand heels that did not provide this line of sight visual and I quit using them because of it. 

Not using mine this winter if you want to try the TD3. It seems like they might be heavier and more height from the board but I love mine. Cheers buddy.

Right on Jer! On our chairlift rides together you've often had high praise for your step-ins, and watching you rip, it is clear that all systems are go. Thanks for the offer to borrow your SI sidewinders. I will have to take you up on it if I don't tie into a pair of my own step ins soon. Best, Chris

11 hours ago, Aracan said:

I find it counterintuitive to consider stiffer bindings for a powder board than for a groomer board, but that may be just me (and I use bail bindings exclusively anyway).

I've been all about using bail binds for a long time. I guess I'm SI curious.

2 minutes ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

Ive ridden both extensively and believe that step ins have no place in all mountain hardbooting.  The flex characteristics are just.....off

Right on. I sure understand how different bindings can change the way a board rides, so point well taken. I've had personal experience with many bail bindings. Going from a soft plate bail binding like a Ibex Carve/Burton Race plate to something like a Trench Digger 3 bail binding is going to change how a given board rides. It is my understanding that going from a bail binding to a step-in will bring further stiffening, or changes to how a given binding and board interact. Am I correct in my understanding that you feel that step ins are to unforgiving in terms of their flex? That they impart too much stiffeness into a set-up that is aiming for a balance of forgiveness and responsiveness?

14 minutes ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

Ive ridden both extensively and believe that step ins have no place in all mountain hardbooting.  The flex characteristics are just.....off

Couldn't disagree more. The right step is awesome. I had 55 days last year plus Turner for Montucky...rode soft boots one day. The rest was SI and we had a ton of snow here. Many carving days but at least 25 to 30 days of pow. Love it. 

• Like 1

I have one pair of RS/F2’s and multiple pairs of F2/Ti’s. For my Donek Hazelwood and Prior AWD (powder & all mt ‘boards) I do a toeLever front foot (Ti) and RS step-in for backfoot. I just love the step-in, gotta have it.

re: Flex, it’s more about boots than bindings. my freeride/pow boots are Deeluxe 325’s, a shell size big w thickest high volume Intuition Luxury liners, and not so tight buckles.

In powder falls (not very often) I find it easier to get rear foot out first w finTec, then toe lever front once rear foot is free.

YMMV! 

On 1/2/2024 at 5:13 PM, lamby said:

That they impart too much stiffeness into a set-up that is aiming for a balance of forgiveness and responsiveness?

This.  They also introduce a failure mode into the equation.  Cables break, ice builds up.

On 1/2/2024 at 5:14 PM, carvedog said:

Couldn't disagree more. The right step is awesome. I had 55 days last year plus Turner for Montucky...rode soft boots one day. The rest was SI and we had a ton of snow here. Many carving days but at least 25 to 30 days of pow. Love it. 

Fair enough, but why though? The bails offer way more consistent flex.  Flex helps all mountain maneuverability. I rode step ins for five seasons, and after coming back to bails I'm never going back. 

I see *almost* no point unless you have trouble bending over. I am in, in less than 5 seconds from a stop, that includes clearing snow off. I've seen people do all of the above while gliding (no stopping).

Oh, and Mountain Slopes don't come in, step-in :P. Not that I own Mountain Slopes....

Just now, Odd Job said:

I see *almost* no point unless you have trouble bending over. I am in, in less than 5 seconds from a stop, that includes clearing snow off. I've seen people do all of the above while gliding (no stopping).

They're very convenient I find, just step in as I glide off the chair, no stopping required unless the layout requires it.  Also I have a bum hip so necessary for me these days.

They are really handy in resorts with lots of flat spots.  Run out of momentum?  Step out, skate for a while, step back in on the fly.  Maybe you're coordinated enough to do that without the toe piece dragging in the snow or scrubbing speed as you try to clip back in but I'm not.