Note to New Members ×

POWERRIDE plastic tongues for softboots

Jack M

Brother Dave, @dhamann, has taken the bull by the horns to become a North American distributor for these aftermarket softboot enhancements.  We are providing the storefront for him here:

https://forums.alpinesnowboarder.com/store/

A portion of proceeds will be donated to USSRT!

powerridebasic.jpg.d76e27460d1f470306f57

powerridewing.jpg.ab4bd57ba55d762a7b933d

Dave is an expert softboot carver here in New England.  Check out his review of the POWERRIDE tongues here:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Jack M featured this topic

What?  Alpinesnowboarder.com has a store now?  Brilliant! 

Just ordered a set of powerride hard with wings to replace the spare tongues from my Stratos Pro I've been using in my softboots for years.  Hoping these will be better, stiffer and more comfortable too.

I want to see a basic affordable riser next!  (And a mitten that lasts longer than half a season please?)  @dhamann PM me and I'll show you what the risers should look like.  

• Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 10:12 PM, Sunan said:

Clearly, its popularity is growing!

to be honest, it was very difficult to find these in the US. this is what has led these to be made available through Alpine snowboarder (ASB). the goal is to help make these more readily available. I am very excited and very fortunate to have this opportunity to help bring these products to the market. I hope they are received as positive and not just some gimmick. POWERRIDE was released in 2000 and it's about time we get on board. you've all seen the very impressive display of athleticism in the softboot carving videos. the potential is there and the discipline of softboot carving is gaining popularity. while still a niche within a niche, there's something there. i've gained an interest in the carving focused discipline due to being bored with general softboot snowboarding and stepped into hardboots. started in '86 and it only took thirty years to try hards. hey, there's something here i said. kinda fun. barriers to entry were a component, monetarily and locating the gear, but i was committed. i got some of my first alpine gear through the forums. the rest is history. everyone has a story. the moral here is that the ASB community is very knowledgeable and usually the first to know, so the launch of POWERRIDE being made available here in a greater sense just seemed appropriate. It is hopefully a start to something larger, but we'll see. stay tuned here on ASB and thank you for all of the interest in POWERRIDE so far. extra HUGE thank you to @Jack M for the help with listing, etc. There's a lot of "etc." behind the scenes for those that don't know. glad to be a part of the team and help support USSRT.

any questions/comments/concerns please don't hesitate to post or PM me directly. to my knowledge, this is a new product to the North American market and we can all learn more together here. sharing is caring. if these products help the rider enjoy snowboarding, then awesome. what more can you ask for? stay shredding. -Dave

• Like 2

Just got these yesterday, rode them today.

I barely notice them. I was on the lower limit of medium sizing, with extremely high volume legs and feet. I'm glad I got mediums instead of the smalls. Works great with my boots.

I got medium stiffness. I could've went with the stiffest option and probably not noticed a difference for free-riding purposes.

How much stiffer are the stiffest option vs the next one down?

7 hours ago, Odd Job said:

How much stiffer are the stiffest option vs the next one down?

probably a couple more clicks. lots of medium flex sold. plenty of hards available still. for now. basic POWERRIDE, hard flex has no wings. the W wing model with two wings is a medium size mold (same as basic), but added wings. recommended mondo 26+ one size for W wing model. hoping to restock these soon. not to worry for those curious.

can you clarify by "barely notice them"? "works great" sounds like a good thing. thanks for the feedback.

By barely notice, I thought maybe I would have issues while riding.

Particularly over my instep where the tongue curves over the instep and the fact the tongue doesn’t mate against the curvature of my leg. I forced it by tightening up my boots.

I don’t notice anything while riding, maybe even walking if I don’t think about it. No pain either. In fact, I’ll need to ride with it more to see if it fixes foot pain from me working too hard on a softer boot.

Not exactly sure how much stiffness mediums add with my leg volume flexing the tongue, and the fact I was disappointed several years ago when trying on Burton Driver X boots on. Those are the stiffest in the market, but to me, it still felt like a more supportive boot for modified walking. I need to try side by side, but maybe it makes my photons into a driver x flex?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ShortcutToMoncton said:

Dave, ps I got hammered by BS UPS fees. Are all the Canadians paying $48 in do-nothing UPS brokerage fees? I don’t think UPS is the way to be sending this type of stuff (or else choose the up-front shipping option that includes all fees). 

Same here. 67$ in Quebec for à 72usd shipped??

Usps please...

Yes, in total the shipping & tax bill was $94. 😀

Well, it could be worse for you though….I somehow ordered two Medium size Medium flex, instead of one Medium and one Hard flex. I had first added a Wing that then went out of stock, so had to go back and add the regular Hard flex… I swear I double-checked before I submitted the order, but apparently not!!

So I paid $232 Canadian bucks for…..two identical pairs. 🤨  

Anyone in Canada want to save a fortune in shipping on a pair of Medium size Medium Flex?? Will also trade a Medium for your Hard  😆

Edited by ShortcutToMoncton

@ShortcutToMoncton @Poloturbo @Corey

no idea this would be the case. thank you for letting me know. i will make things right and please reach out to me PM directly to how you feel this can be made right for you. i would've absolutely refused shipment. that's ridiculous and never meant to put anyone in this sort of situation. ups was showing a week eta and i thought this was better than the 1-4+ that usps was showing. this totally backfired and sincerely apologize. usps to canada from now on. NOTED. this isn't the sh.t storm anyone wants to deal with trying make a new product available, but i'll deal with it privately per individual. i had i think four orders go out to our friends from the north recently and please please, all PM my arse and we'll work it out. no stress. learning curve. taking the good with the bad. etc. thank you for letting me know and understanding of the situation!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

thanks @JohnE. are those new boots/liners? if rider preferences are looking for more leverage, consider sizing up. this is why i believe the sizing for POWERRIDE isn't so hard and fast. i am a size 12 street shoe and mondo 29 snowboard boot. i'll run the large size and/or medium size depending on conditions and preferences. i'll note that the large size hard flex basic model has more leverage than the Wing hard flex model if the rider is after a stiffer harder option fore/aft. this is because the wing models use a medium size mold but add the wings. this helps with lateral support and response. the large size basic is a larger mold (a little taller and longer), hence the leverage. if it fits, it rips.