Note to New Members ×

POWERRIDE plastic tongues for softboots

Jack M

@slabber good news and thanks for sharing. these aging Driver boots are unique. i'm glad the POWERRIDE somewhat fits and works for you. however, if you're married to these boots then i might suggest trying them between liner and tongue of boot. stitching and/or fabrics may get torn up using this way. i know you know this and wanted to test as the boot was designed with that original insert, but the POWERRIDE should provide more response if installed as they are intended (between liner/boot shell). try it out. having on the outside really creates some extra flare though, doesn't it? minus the duct tape. i have seen some videos that the POWERRIDE can be put under a laced boot like this as an alternative if between the liner/shell is not allowed for whatever reason. human intuition. enjoy the POWERRIDE however you wish.

I actually thought on the outside like this, where the original tongue insert sat, would be the least impacting to the boot.  

I'll give them a whirl inside but I was worried they'd be loose and prone to shift around more and/or require me to futz with them when lacing up the boots. Whereas fixed on the outside, I can just lace them up.  

On 10/26/2023 at 11:21 AM, crackaddict said:

I want to see a basic affordable riser next!  (And a mitten that lasts longer than half a season please?)  @dhamann PM me and I'll show you what the risers should look like.  

Here here!!!! 

Like this but with toe lift or heal lift.  if I owned a 3d printer I'd make em myself..

Screenshot_20231219-210751.png

woah woah woah. who's funding that venture?

gecko or isolator are tough to beat. shim/cant the baseplate if desired.

hard flex POWERRIDE offers more leverage; especially the "large" (M 27+, US 9.5+) size. almost cancels out the need/want for lift/cant.

i don't understand the desire for cant with softies other than marketing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Many new soft bindings come with 3 degree inward cant, which is nice if you like a wide, lower angle stance, but heel and toe lift are just as important with increased angles on softies as the are on stiffies.  The power plates are nice, but overkill, expensive and they weigh a ton.  Too bad nobody make a simple shim like Shred Gruumer showed above.  

5th time on mines and looking good.

Model large stiffest. 

Had to try a few more places to put as it was hurting when between the liner and shell of the boot.

I put mine just under the first laces outher boot shell and it's fine.

Great supports on my aging Malamutes from 2017. 

Would recommend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

I had a long day on the medium blues (open to close, Vail). On a 25.6/25.4cm measured foot on 25mp boots (US 7). Ouch did my instep hurt a LOT towards the end of the day.

I just tried large reds today. The response is much quicker, but I don't really notice the increased stiffness in terms of being able to bend my knees. The reds have quite sharp edges, so you have to be sure to really stuff them in your boot correctly! They aren't mine, but if I decide to order reds, I am going to file down the edges to dull them out. The large is a better size IMO for my feet and calve size. The bottom of the tongue goes more over the top of the foot. I'm going to need to try out a longer day on firmer snow to be sure of this.

tl;dr

- I think the larges for people with abnormally large calves despite small feet may work. Maybe.

- If you are any sort of adept rider, reds will likely not be too stiff when paired with a Burton Photon boot. Maybe with a Burton Ion/DriverX boot? I can still flex the hell out of the reds stationary without any effort really, it's not like a brick wall for your shins. The flex is quite nice. If you ever flexed the Deeluxe 425s (5 lean adjuster) and a Mountain Slope boot. The Mountain Slope boot has quite a nice flex. I guess it's like that, I don't know really.

Edited by Odd Job
  • Like 3

Just tried it in a deep 30"+ storm cycle.

First day I thought maybe the reds were too stiff and went with nothing. Wow no thanks.

Used the reds the next day. They work in deep pow. Even in the trees and such. Had no issue going up/down compressions where you use your full body height as a range almost instantly to absorb and climb over stuff.

Reds are great for all around use. Didn't go open to close, so unsure on instep discomfort, but I had none.

• Like 3

On 2/4/2024 at 12:48 PM, Odd Job said:

I had a long day on the medium blues (open to close, Vail). On a 25.6/25.4cm measured foot on 25mp boots (US 7). Ouch did my instep hurt a LOT towards the end of the day.

Curious... I have a very high arch/ instep, and I am also an 25mp boot. I see you mentioned large calves, is your instep high as well?

Is the pain due to pressure points or do they just eat up too much space so it all around tight/ hurts? 

Have you tried the fit insert along with the normal power ride? Looks like it is designed for pressure points. 

I have a low(?) instep, so I can't really help you there. I may have some space? But probably not enough for someone with a high instep. The pain come from pressure points. On the medium, it's near where the ankle starts curving into the plane of the foot. On large, the end of the tongue is more near my toes.

The large wraps around my legs better, the medium needs to flex around it a bit.

Molding liners to fit? Makes sense but y’all made of silly putty? Jk. I haven’t experienced much discomfort to resolve to such measures but appreciate the feedback. Alpine riders are so complex. Being in tune with equipment and how it affects the rider/riding is insightful. So many personal preferences. Thanks. 

oddjob is mondo 25 and running large hards on some tests. Seems to conclude positive results. Sizing up may resolve this sensitive instep thing? Once again, sizing on POWERRIDE is not so hard and fast. Baseline recs. I tested a small size ontop of a large size recently. No issues with an alpine sl stiff softy board 28 waist (OES FR Kevlar hard flex) and xv binders for a few hours riding somewhat hard. Dreamy ice conditions. The board/binding combo demands commitment. Pairing may also help achieve rider desires. 

also see the “what size and how to select” post in the review thread of POWERRIDE in softboot equipment review forum. 

Edited by dhamann
There’s another thread for more info

Well. My foot measures 25.4 and 25.6. I downsized to MP25 on softboots. 24 on hardboots.

I did ride almost all day today, about 9:30am to 3pm? I noticed some discomfort but not as much as I had on mediums. Maybe it was the terrain.....

I'm so used to them, I don't think I can ride without them. My boots feel like slippers without the tongue inserts.

5 hours ago, Jack M said:

Molding or re-molding your moldable liners with the PR's is the ticket.  I also had pressure points before molding.  If you don't have moldable liners, get some.

With ride insano/they have been great but exacerbated the problem with the liner and boot tongue seams making hot spots around the soft fleshy bits of my ankle. Popped them back into my old flow talons with remind insoles and so much better. Blue/large. They are great. Rather with than without. Will have to try molding again with them in on my old boots. Done with the insano pain from the rides.

• Like 1