Note to New Members ×

face lift of BBS

LeeW

Guest Randy S.

OK Fin. Tell us about all the new features. Is this just a facelift or did Vbulletin issue new software with cool features we can take advantage of? I do see new smilies. :cool::cool::eek:

What else is there?

Yep, the time had for an upgrade to this old boy. Same software just newer version. I will be spending the next few days looking at all the new stuff we can do so look for small incremental changes for the next few days. Once I have it all figured out I'll probably post a list of new features. So far it looks very cool.

If there is anything you guys want to see or have changed speak up now, I will see what can be done.

Back with more.....

one small rquest:

You can specify four different kinds of IMs that you are using. But there is a fifth (missing) one that seems to become more and more popular - skype.

...since skype was discussed here quite a bit, is there a way to add aditional IMs?

Hagen.

Interesting - the hybrid threaded view is just like the old Carving Community 1.0. If you post a reply with a title, it appears in the thread tree as a "root" node. If you post a reply without a title, it appears in the thread tree as a "leaf" node of the previous root.

Request - can we get a link back to the Carving Community at the <i>bottom</i> of the page?

Okay, let's see...this should be bold type...this should be italic. Cool, so far so good! (Some forums have really screwed-up ways of handling this.) This should be bright blue type! :D All looking good! Now let's check out a hyperlink...

Google

• How
  • about
  • bulleted
  • items?

Now, let's insert an image...

Blue_Sky.jpg

Then, let's try the indent feature:

A leaping tongue of bloom the scythe had spared

Beside a reedy brook the scythe had bared.

Cool---everything seems to work!

Scott

Interesting - the hybrid threaded view is just like the old Carving Community 1.0. If you post a reply with a title, it appears in the thread tree as a "root" node. If you post a reply without a title, it appears in the thread tree as a "leaf" node of the previous root.

Request - can we get a link back to the Carving Community at the <i>bottom</i> of the page?

I think this was fixed Jack? I added a title to my "Formatting test" post, and it apppeared as a child (leaf) in the threaded mode. What was weird to me about threaded mode was that I couldn't find the "Post Reply" button (maybe I just didn't look in the right place?)

Scott

I like the new version too! :D

BUT! Isn't there always a 'but?' This is something I'll get used to, but for now it bothers me that the 'identification bar' preceding each post takes up so much room. Yes, I can turn off pictures, etc (I like the avatars!), but I preferred it when all the user info was contained at the left side of each post, and not above each post.

I do like the options for changing view styles: Hybrid, threaded, etc. And I like all the user-customizable features ... It's nice not having to use a generic forum appearance.

EDIT: Testing the 'edit' function. I like the feature of changing views without going through the User CP. And the printable view selections at the top of the forum ... Sheesh: This is fun! :D

TommyD, I feel the same way, but the look isn't bad. It's sure a lot better than a lot of other forums. I think the new look takes up more space but looks better. The downside is that we have to do more scrolling.

As far as inserted images goes, an occasional inserted image is OK (if it's relevent to the discussion :) ), but sometimes people get carried away with them and you have threads with more pictures than text. If someone wants to post a really big image (like 800X600), I think posting a link is better. Just my opinion.

Guest Randy S.
Just go to the member list and sort by post count. Don't worry, I'm still the king! :D

All hail King Jack! :p

Its not fair though. You got to join the new forum a day before the rest of us. D-Sub had you beat before he bailed. Where are you Dave? I'm sure Fin would give you back your post count if you came back.

Back on topic: Give us more smilies. :cool: Do you plan to enable the PM feature, or stick just to emails?

All hail King Jack! :p

Its not fair though. You got to join the new forum a day before the rest of us. D-Sub had you beat before he bailed. Where are you Dave? I'm sure Fin would give you back your post count if you came back.

Randy looks like you're going to pass me soon for second place.

Wow, you go away for a week and everything changes! New format looks cool, guess I'll have to start spending more time around here again. Hope everybody's having as good a summer as I am. Get out while you can, it'll be winter before you know it :D

Have fun,

Paul