Note to New Members ×

AFC 2024 Aspen 2/7-2/16

slopestar

Katie and I just booked our annual pilgrimage to Aspen! Yasu, B. Free and others have opted to do the extended trip! Dates are Feb 7-16. That group already secured lodging while we decided to keep it on the super cheap and are staying in Glenwood Springs from Feb 7 to Feb 12. I'll have all the softy boards from Alloy with me. Hope to see you all! Follow the trenches.... You will have a tough time pulling me away from Buttermilk, but we also plan to grab a day at Sunlight and Possibly Ski Cooper on Monday on the way home. 

Edited by slopestar
typos
  • Like 2

Overall 12+ carvers with different abilities will hit Aspen mountains during this time!

Note: this season requires making reservations in Aspen if you have Ikon pass. I would suggest to make reservations as soon as possible, as no one knows how many reservations available each day.

Edited by b.free
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Its looking likely that I will be in Aspen from Feb 9 - 18. I'm gonna buy a 7-day pass, so riding between the 10th and 17th. First time back in Aspen in a long time! Last year I did not ride at all, previous year just one week at Kirkwood. Not super confirmed, but I booked a place downtown. It would be a joy to see y'all while I'm there 🙂. I'm old now but I think I can still snowboard/whine about conditions with the best of 'em. 

Comically: what a rude awakening it is to discover what Aspen lift tix cost at the counter! I was like "how bad could it be???". MY LORD. I lament my innocent youth, purchasing incredibly affordable Aspen lift tickets from bomber during SES! "Hey Kid! Try this—first ones free!"

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 11/17/2023 at 9:35 PM, queequeg said:

Its looking likely that I will be in Aspen from Feb 9 - 18. I'm gonna buy a 7-day pass, so riding between the 10th and 17th. First time back in Aspen in a long time! Last year I did not ride at all, previous year just one week at Kirkwood. Not super confirmed, but I booked a place downtown. It would be a joy to see y'all while I'm there 🙂. I'm old now but I think I can still snowboard/whine about conditions with the best of 'em. 

Comically: what a rude awakening it is to discover what Aspen lift tix cost at the counter! I was like "how bad could it be???". MY LORD. I lament my innocent youth, purchasing incredibly affordable Aspen lift tickets from bomber during SES! "Hey Kid! Try this—first ones free!"

That will align nicely with a fun crew. It will be hard to pry me away from Buttermilk and Snowmass as Buttermilk is like perfect Lower Trestles with only a few guys in the water. 

7th -12th for us. Will be driving from Glenwood Springs daily. We park at Milk and shuttle wherever we go for the day

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I might be in Aspen from Feb 7-10! Still debating between Aspen and some other Ikon pass areas, but Aspen is currently first on my list. I'm looking for the best grooming I can find, and I've (mostly) heard good things about Aspen/Snowmass. It would be fun to meet up with some other carvers who can point me to the good trails since it will be my first time there.

Edited by weather_nerd
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 9:48 AM, weather_nerd said:

I might be in Aspen from Feb 7-10! Still debating between Aspen and some other Ikon pass areas, but Aspen is currently first on my list. I'm looking for the best grooming I can find, and I've (mostly) heard good things about Aspen/Snowmass. It would be fun to meet up with some other carvers who can point me to the good trails since it will be my first time there.

Sounds great! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2023 at 5:48 AM, weather_nerd said:

Go to Aspen!

A few years ago I had one of my best days ever, carving with @slopestar and others at Buttermilk during a previous AFC gathering. All the stars lined up, good snow and grooming, blue skies, and great company. At the end of the day I couldn't stop smiling and I could barely walk!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

Go to Aspen!

A few years ago I had one of my best days ever, carving with @slopestar and others at Buttermilk during a previous AFC gathering. All the stars lined up, good snow and grooming, blue skies, and great company. At the end of the day I couldn't stop smiling and I could barely walk!

We had some fun that year for sure!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, skhil said:

Hi, I'm going to Aspen from Feb 12 to 15. Any lodging suggestions? Glenwood springs look a bit too far for everyday drive. Where are you guys going to stay?

Hey hey, great man, you will love it in Aspen! We are staying in Basalt, kinda half way from Glenwood springs, 20 min to buttermilk and roughly 30-40 to Aspen itself.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, weather_nerd said:

@yamifumi I just tried to DM you and it said that you could not receive messages on here... not sure what that is about, but I would like to join that Whatsapp group! Would you 

I think my inbox is full, let me delete and please try again. Thank you

• Like 1

You all have a great time at Aspen. I think I did all of them plus the others at at Vail, Copper, etc. Hmm? How old are most now? I'm 81. Back surgery done a year ago. I would still be there if that had not be done? Check my for sale post, carver old boards. They need to be there with all of you.  Tim

• Like 2