Note to New Members ×

Switch carving in hardboots!? Calling all switch carvers @boardski @caspercarver. Tips/setup advice

ThePeonsChamp

So I dabbled in some switch riding last season on a few boards and found more success on my wider boards for sure. Haven't tried with my thirst CC+ but I think this will be my go to for practicing with its 23.5cm waist since my coiler ECVC felt better spinning on than my thin thirsts.

So for setup I'm wondering if Flat bindings or my standard toe/heel lift which I ride on everything will be more conducive to switch riding. I'm pretty tall so the toe lift has always been a must for front leg fatigue for me. The other setting I'm wondering about is if a more centered place on the board is better? Would putting my bindings all the way forward work better for switch? Does anyone know how @caspercarver set up his gear as I love watching his old videos with his jump turn carves. Not sure if he's active here anymore so if anyone knows that would be appreciated. 

I'm not expecting to ride like kkkkkento0901 @caspercarver @boardski but if I could rail one single switch carve this season I'd be happy. Thanks for any and all feedback 

@ThePeonsChamp Casper has been out of the game for many years.  He rode a pretty narrow stance if I recall. Nothing special binding wise.  He sure was fun to ride with and a great guy.  . 

Carver Bowlby, Andy Copeland, Chester Fox and Hing are all getting pretty good at switch on Alpine. They all ride regular carving gear. Maybe a switch carving clinic is due at MCC… they will be there. 

I think a board that had even flex and did not accelerate like crazy out of turns would be the ticket.  Most boards have some binding insert setback from the center of sidecut radius, so maybe bindings a little forward.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dropthebody said:

There was or is a snowboard instructor at Solitude, Utah that rides Switch. His name is Tom. I haven't been there in quite a few years so I am not sure if he is still there. He made beautiful turns riding backwards.

Ooo I would love to get a lesson! I think I've heard of this Tom mentioned before here as a great instructor. 

2 hours ago, dredman said:

@ThePeonsChamp Casper has been out of the game for many years.  He rode a pretty narrow stance if I recall. Nothing special binding wise.  He sure was fun to ride with and a great guy.  . 

Carver Bowlby, Andy Copeland, Chester Fox and Hing are all getting pretty good at switch on Alpine. They all ride regular carving gear. Maybe a switch carving clinic is due at MCC… they will be there. 

I think a board that had even flex and did not accelerate like crazy out of turns would be the ticket.  Most boards have some binding insert setback from the center of sidecut radius, so maybe bindings a little forward.  

OK any idea if Casper rode with lifts fore/aft? Also a switch clinic would be awesome and something new for MCC! I've been itching to get back to Montana for this incredible event(been since 2020 for me 😢). I'm so jealous that the snow was so good for the event this past year.

Peon,

Ride your regular set up for switch and get used to it. Why ruin your regular riding/stance for a part time gig.

The best I have ridden was a single radius, 11m. Variable can make things a bit more difficult, especially if the tail really opens up to a large radius.

Please learn to turn both directions so you are actually carving backwards and not just doing a high speed falling leaf.

Ink

• Like 2

Switch carving heel side is easier than switch toe side. The above video is evidence.  I think it may be due to the transition.  Toe to heel feels more natural than heel to toe.  Not many people can pull it off smoothly.  I can't.  I suggest working on surface spins in both directions as well.  That will help give you a feel for your center of balance before committing to an edge.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Ink is right about trying to keep the stance you know. A wider board and a little extra splay will be your friend. Falling leaf to flat spins both ways on wide boards are great practice and how I learned switch on both ski's and hardboots. Your normal toe heel lifts and stance width + a couple cm's, and the rear foot as low an angle as you and boot out are comfortable with. I've settled on 10-15 degrees of slpay on all boards which is why I'm not into skinnies to much, the stability and versatility I get from 30*b/45*f is more fun for me but I can still lean on the boots for hard carving.

p.s. too much taper is trickier, my twin tip Identity 170 x 25 was really built for it

p.p.s. On alpine gear keep in mind you're going backwards like a skier goes switch not sideways like a duck stance, think heels 1st, this helped me a lot!

Edited by b0ardski
  • Like 1

On 9/14/2023 at 11:04 AM, Keenan said:

Switch carving heel side is easier than switch toe side. 

I can only do easy glides on edge on a green run, so baby carving switch. I don’t practice it much. So I can’t speak to the difficulty of carving with strong inputs either direction. However I find heelside turns harder for the simple fact that you can’t see. At least on my toes I can see where I’m going. 

3 hours ago, b0ardski said:

Ink is right about trying to keep the stance you know. A wider board and a little extra splay will be your friend. Falling leaf to flat spins both ways on wide boards are great practice and how I learned switch on both ski's and hardboots. Your normal toe heel lifts and stance width + a couple cm's, and the rear foot as low an angle as you and boot out are comfortable with. I've settled on 10-15 degrees of slpay on all boards which is why I'm not into skinnies to much, the stability and versatility I get from 30*b/45*f is more fun for me but I can still lean on the boots for hard carving.

p.s. too much taper is trickier, my twin tip Identity 170 x 25 was really built for it

p.p.s. On alpine gear keep in mind you're going backwards like a skier goes switch not sideways like a duck stance, think heels 1st, this helped me a lot!

I couldn't have put it together better! 

I actually don't mind a bit of taper (actually flair, going switch). 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2023 at 10:47 AM, b0ardski said:

Thank you so much I can't wait to practice. Really appreciate the tips! 

I had talked to Mark about a replacement for my old BX and he recommended the CC+, once you start linking those heelside carves heels 1st, feels like a whole new world of riding before you!

ps wear a helmet, brainstem plants happen!

Edited by b0ardski