Note to New Members ×

Bomber bindings screws M6 with 5 mm hex - gone

tdifan_2003

As it says on Gumbo, the screws as we knew them - M6, stainless steel for 5 mm hex are hard to find. Does anyone know where one can find them. Apparently now, the standard for M6 is 4 mm hex. Which I don't like since this was.... one of the issues with ex-Catek company. Now I have them on my plate and I dread the time when I will have to replace them. 

I had tried Granger and MacMaster Carr without luck. 

Shoot suggestions.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, tdifan_2003 said:

Shoot suggestions.

1 hour ago, fluxgame said:

Pretty sure the Bomber screws were custom made. 4mm hex is the standard for oval head M6s. 

I hated and destroyed a ton of Catek 4mm head scews

How about a group buy for custom made??

We figure out the min qty.. start a fund and pull the trigger when we hit it.

I have no idea where to do this but will check some locals machine shops.

I am not a machinist so this could be ridiculous but could the 4mm hex be machined out to a 5mm?

We could group by a bunch and get them all machined....

4 minutes ago, Corey said:

They're custom made.  Pricing isn't awful when you buy enough, but the factory's idea of 'enough' is a scary number for us regular folks.  

Do you have a ball park estimate of the unit cost and min qty?

Sorry, no direct experience for these. I just recall chatting with Fin and he said he got them made and ordered a BIG amount that scared him. 

In my professional life one solution to a problem was custom M22 bolts. There were roughly 2x the price of similar bolts and had something like a 5-month lead time. Minimum order was 1000 or so. Likely more for smaller bolts. 

This was pre-pandemic though so probably a 24-month lead time now... 😠😆

A better solution to the 4mm hex might be, well...second only to using blue loctite and not over tightening 🙄, stainless TORX flat heads. They won't/shouldn't strip out like hex. HOWEVER, you'll then have to carry around a T30 AND 5mm hex for the sole blocks and baseplate.  You could also replace the M6's in the sole blocks with torx, however the baseplate is M8 torx and would require a T45.  You're still carrying 2.  Group buy time!  👍  You should probably get M6 20MM and 16MM, unless the 20mm can secure the sole blocks without protruding too far...

Just replace them with torx screws and carry the T30. If you have UPZ boots, these also have T30s on them (and come with a T30 key), so it may come in handy anyway.

Carrying one additional key is not really an issue, is it? I carry 4 & 5 mm hex, T25 & T30, philips #1 and 2 and flathead bits, and cannot say it ever bothered me. (But then again, I mostly ride with backpack and cannot be bothered to take out shovel and probe for hardpack days.....)

The idea about group buy is entertaining. Though, if Gumbo hasn't figure a way to get such screws, probably this group buy is not going to work too well here. I for one would be in. But then - what lengths are we going to talk about? For TD3 we would need 12 mm and 20 mm (two different lengths). 

About bringing several tools on the slope - for TD bindings, 5 mm is all it's needed. I wish and bike tool had bigger torx on it, but they come with thee smaller sizes. otherwise, a bike tool has worked very well for me so far.