Note to New Members ×

chatGPT fun

pow4ever

prompt: write me a poem on Alpine Snowboarding

chatGPT is text generate model from OpenAI that seems pretty magical.  some call it AGI but quickly approaching the uncanny valley for me (something unsettling).

this is what computer came up with:

Alpine snowboarding, oh how grand
To glide and carve upon the snow
To feel the wind whip through your hair
And hear the snow crunch beneath your board

With every turn and every carve
You dance and play upon the mountain
You are one with the cold, white world
And nothing else matters in this moment

The thrill of speed and the rush of air
The freedom and joy of each descent
This is the beauty of alpine snowboarding
And nothing else can compare.

and in haiku format:

Snowboarding in the Alps
Carving down the mountain's face
Winter joy supreme.

• Like 3

• pow4ever changed the title to chatGPT fun

There once was a snowboarder named Dave Who loved to carve through the alpine snow With his board on the slope He carved with such hope Leaving a trail that was pure as the driven snow.

Tried as hard as I could but this is the spiciest limerick that it would serve up.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, st_lupo said:

Chatgpt is pretty cool!  I’ve asked it some pretty niche questions and got impressively correct (if at times superficial) answers.  It’s crazy how correct and in-depth it gets regarding comp-sci stuff.

chatGPT + copiolt seems to make l33t code type of interview question obsolete?
which beg the question in my head.  perhaps we are focus on the wrong thing in hiring CS ppl.
It's a balance we need to juggle well.

In someway the AI is reaching a level of uncanny valley for me.  There is something about it that make me uneasy.  there is subtlety in Learned Knowledge vs earned knowledge.  Or maybe i am just old and grumpy...  Having information (which if we squint our eye it might appear to be knowledge) pop out without much work/efforts.  i am not smart enough to forecast how this will impact future human development.  

similar to autonomous driving - level 2 where human driver still need to pay attention.  
But the chatbot seems to full of hubris in some reply that even the facts are wrong but it appear to be right.
Similar to stable diffusion (Open source equivalent of the DALL-E) when it was first release; it took over the "airwave" at least the one for geek/people in the field.  Future is now and exciting.

I just finished reading (listening to) Deep Work by Cal Newport. The first half of the book is a warning to those who will be replaced by AI. This is happening really fast.

My son is graduating high school this coming spring/summer. If he does not excel at programming, he better learn plumbing.

• Like 2

On 12/7/2022 at 9:40 AM, st_lupo said:

There once was a snowboarder named Dave Who loved to carve through the alpine snow With his board on the slope He carved with such hope Leaving a trail that was pure as the driven snow.

Tried as hard as I could but this is the spiciest limerick that it would serve up.

Still room for humans then. It also scans better than the chatGPT effort.

NSFW or children ---

An alpine snowboarder named Gin
Hard on, laid out, turns was carvin'
The female instructor
Will say that he f****d her
"So deep!" in the trench he was in.

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, gawdzira said:

I just finished reading (listening to) Deep Work by Cal Newport. The first half of the book is a warning to those who will be replaced by AI. This is happening really fast.

My son is graduating high school this coming spring/summer. If he does not excel at programming, he better learn plumbing.

Good plan b. AI cannot turn a wrench under a sink. I wish more of our youngsters would consider the trades. I started in construction as a way to finance my education, I found that I was much better suited to building in the real world than in the abstract of civil engineering.  I still use all of the trig I learned, and pass it on to anyone who will stay around as I proselytize about the awesomeness of carpentry.  I am saddened by the fact that there are very few youth coming in, and that the encyclopedic amount of knowledge I have gleaned from the crusty old timers that both mentored, and tormented me will leave with me when I hang up my occidental tool belt in a few years.

Sorry for the partial derailment here, gawdzira touched on something that has been bothering me for  the last decade or so

Mario

• Like 3

I replaced a substantial part of my old job with a spreadsheet. Why is a human comparing numbers from 3 tables to pick the optimal one? And then running repetitive calculations to figure out the next steps? 

The previous guy was perfectly happy doing that until retirement - it drove me nuts! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, big mario said:

Good plan b. AI cannot turn a wrench under a sink. I wish more of our youngsters would consider the trades. I started in construction as a way to finance my education, I found that I was much better suited to building in the real world than in the abstract of civil engineering.  I still use all of the trig I learned, and pass it on to anyone who will stay around as I proselytize about the awesomeness of carpentry.  I am saddened by the fact that there are very few youth coming in, and that the encyclopedic amount of knowledge I have gleaned from the crusty old timers that both mentored, and tormented me will leave with me when I hang up my occidental tool belt in a few years.

Sorry for the partial derailment here, gawdzira touched on something that has been bothering me for  the last decade or so

Mario

this short video at 0:33 <-- i feel the exact sentiment.
"i discovered I was useless, i had no practical skill" but at the ripe age of 40+
I am just another key board pounder for the man.
https://www.ted.com/talks/marcin_jakubowski_open_sourced_blueprints_for_civilization?language=en
found out too late about this:  other wise it's one of those circus that i am serious consider run away from home to join:
https://www.opensourceecology.org/ose-apprenticeship/ 

This is a reason i think why lots of tech ppl end up as literal farmer.
at the risk of sounding /iam14andThisIsDeep
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/3208874-i-am-andrew-ryan-and-i-m-here-to-ask-you
a bit Objectivism/Ayn Rand-ish.  There is definitely something about making something with one's hand.

On the complete flip side:  I am complete at awe with the technology advancement 
look up laser-produced plasma (LPP) which shoot high power laser at tin droplet twice (once to shape it, and 2nd burst to produce plasma/light) so we can build crazy semi conductor that enable modern life and the advancement of AI.
I never quite understood the concept of "lost tech" in movie/book but now i get it.  because what ASML does today is manifestation of “Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic”

There is a happy medium to be achieve here.  STEM is important but so is shop (i find out there is no more wood/automative shop in my local high school any more).

not sure about the PEX/sharkbite generation lol...  sorry for my rambling time to get off the soap box and dream about that perfect carve.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

o33ryb4zfc6z.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&au

5 hours ago, b0ardski said:

isn't chatGPT just high tech plagiarism?

to some degree yes.
sometime the whole is greater than the sum of its part 🙂 
snowboard is just bunch of wood/glue/metal but the reverence/love we have for it is beyond logical.

to paraphrase kent brockman 
"I, For One, Welcome Our New robot Overlords" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/6/2022 at 8:52 PM, pow4ever said:

which beg the question in my head.  perhaps we are focus on the wrong thing in hiring CS ppl.

In someway the AI is reaching a level of uncanny valley for me.  There is something about it that make me uneasy.  there is subtlety in Learned Knowledge vs earned knowledge.  Or maybe i am just old and grumpy...  Having information (which if we squint our eye it might appear to be knowledge) pop out without much work/efforts.  i am not smart enough to forecast how this will impact future human development.  

similar to autonomous driving - level 2 where human driver still need to pay attention.  
But the chatbot seems to full of hubris in some reply that even the facts are wrong but it appear to be right.
Similar to stable diffusion (Open source equivalent of the DALL-E) when it was first release; it took over the "airwave" at least the one for geek/people in the field.  Future is now and exciting.

Algo + system interviews can be gamed.

There was someone who came from embedded devices, he studied systems design + various mock interviews for a year. He landed a staff level role along with IIRC, a 300K+ increase in compensation.

You have to want it real bad though if you don't have experience in it.

Edited by Odd Job

1 hour ago, Odd Job said:

There was someone who came from embedded devices, he studied systems design + various mock interviews for a year. He landed a staff level role along with IIRC, a 300K+ increase in compensation.

Hope the guy is able to perform and not just interview well.  Getting catfish by candidate is waste of time.

remind me of this guy:  
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/07/21/424980378/winner-of-french-scrabble-title-does-not-speak-french

proper Incentivization/motivation is powerful...   too bad my slacker as5 is way too lazy and lack of brain power...

4 hours ago, pow4ever said:

Hope the guy is able to perform and not just interview well.  Getting catfish by candidate is waste of time.

remind me of this guy:  
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/07/21/424980378/winner-of-french-scrabble-title-does-not-speak-french

proper Incentivization/motivation is powerful...   too bad my slacker as5 is way too lazy and lack of brain power...

Just have to be x% better than your colleagues. lol.

It's all smoke and mirrors. 

Edited by Odd Job
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Odd Job said:

Not surprised by the layoffs.

slacker/lazy engineer make for the best software dev.
i like to try new stuff but if i have to do same thing twice/thrice - i tend to either pawn it off or automated it.

scary that senior guy isn't aware of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAP_theorem
what we do is series of trade off.  it's important to understand we are design for.
Don't tell me how much the senior guy made hahaha... don't hate the player hate the game -- iceT

Luckily the stuff i do isn't life/death or mission critical.

Good read:
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/pdfs/wellarchitected/latest/reliability-pillar/wellarchitected-reliability-pillar.pdf#s-99.999-or-higher-scenario-with-a-recovery-time-under-1-minute

or print it out and lay it around to establish dominance in the office lol

On 12/6/2022 at 8:52 PM, pow4ever said:

I know so little about what you’re saying, but find it fascinating nonetheless. 

On 3/4/2023 at 10:36 AM, Rob Stevens said:

I know so little about what you’re saying, but find it fascinating nonetheless. 

lol... likely it's my incoherent thoughts/source problem; not on the receiver end.
more than happy to share what little i know an/or attempt to clarify.