Note to New Members ×

Summer Vacation

Jack M

Anybody do anything fun over the summer?  We went to Quebec City for the first time.  Highly recommended!  Very European and charming.  Got to stay in the Chateau Frontenac two nights.  Also highly recommended!

5D4_4577-HDR-XL.jpg

Full set of pics here: https://www.jmphotocraft.com/Travel/Quebec-City-2022/

At the end of the week we went to Le Nordique Spa in Stoneham, about 30 minutes from QC. It made me thirsty…CEBF0DB2-AA70-4635-BEA1-F6886D328666.jpeg

• Like 4

Looks very nice. I had no idea. Looks very clean. Is it expensive?

We did a Viking ocean cruise from London up north to the northern tip of Norway and then back south along the coast of Norway. Also very pretty, neat & tidy. Norway is very beautiful. Also, we had very good weather. We were above the Arctic Circle on the solstice (sun never set). 

We stopped for a few days in Iceland. Also nice but more touristy than Norway. 

• Like 1

Spent a week in Southern Nova Scotia on Brier Island and the Bay of Fundy.  Took the CAT ferry over from Bangor Maine. Returned via Digby ferry to  St. John New Brunswick, then drove back into the US.

The ferries were great and we had beautiful weather both ways.  From the ferries saw whales, seals and lots of lobster boats. 

Very few tourists and No other Americans.  Great views, great seacoast hiking, great light houses, food, weather......it was just perfect. 

1.webp

2.webp

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JohnE said:

Looks very nice. I had no idea. Looks very clean. Is it expensive?

Yeah we were both pleasantly surprised at how much Old Quebec felt like Europe.  Much more so than Montreal.  It was very clean within the walls of Old Quebec, outside there was a little homelessness on display.  Cost seemed typical, but the exchange rate is nice.  A tip I would offer is that if you want to stay in the Chateau Frontenac, which is exquisite, book well in advance.  We did not and all that was left was the "Gold" level.  This was awesome but we paid the premium for those two nights.  I justified it by getting 2 free nights at a Marriott just outside the wall on points.  There are also lots of little hotels and b&b's inside the walls that looked like fun.  We would definitely go back someday.

I'm so happy that we're travelling again!! I book-ended two concerts in Dublin, Ireland with ten days of roaming the countryside in between in April. Ireland has been on my bucket list forever and I finally had the perfect excuse to go. I loved it. I spent the ten days driving along the coast and tripping across fields and looking at Old Stuff and it was epic. I was at the Dublin kickoff of Ed Sheeran's new world tour ... that was a night. It's been a long time since I've been ground level at an 80,000+ person gig.

Then a cheap airfare popped up so I spent five days in Paris - another city on the forever bucket list - at the start of July. Just the best time, even if I did walk so much I basically collapsed into the airport at the end.

Off to San Diego with girlfriends for Canadian Thanksgiving in Oct - two days at the beach, two in Joshua Tree - and then finally, back to New Zealand for three weeks in Nov. One of those weeks will be work, the other two will be all play. Lots of cool things have opened up since I was last there four years ago, and I can't wait to try some of them out.

@JohnE - did you love Norway? Friends and I are looking at a motorcycle tour there next year, but I may just end up going solo. The tour they want to take doesn't ride enough and costs too much for my liking ...

Edited by Allee
  • Like 2

Spent the whole vacation at the weekend home. We were very glad we didn't have to spend time at airports or drive anywhere hot. Once we biked over to Hallstatt, had a drink and watched the tourist hordes, went home even gladder. Changed the broken speaker on the wife's Jeep. Did some swimming, drinking with the neighbors, gaming, and reading. Very nice.

• Like 1

Goodwood Festival of Speed in the UK and Portugal around the Lisbon-Sintra area.

For you car guys, put GFoS on your must attend list. 4 days of sight and sound car stimulation. Mostly european cars but still some Japanese, American and other cars as well. 

Vendors, hill climb, drift, rally, off road, FMX, dirt jump, early 1900s - future cars.

A Saleen and Ferrari tent camping, NEVER see that in the USA. Actually walking around the camping and GFoS parking lots was great too. Seeing many different cars and often times getting to talk with their enthusiastic owner/builders.

https://mcmurtry.com/speirling/ - this car set a new record on the hill and it is WILD!

Listened to an hour long Q&A with Gordon Murray, rode in stock Jaguar being drifted, saw the unveiling of the new Porsche 963 LeMans car.

Wife is not that into cars and wants to go back NOW she had so much fun.

MTB, scuba, skateboarding, castle/palace touring and eating good food in Portugal.

Wife, myself and KarverKai were all very happy with the trip.

ink

This could also go in the Car Nuts thread

Edited by inkaholic
  • Like 4

This is not as impressive as everyone else's trips, but we occupied the space vacated by Jack by spending a couple of months in mid-coast Maine.  Lot's of kayaking and hiking, and it was sure a lot cooler here than Ohio.  Here's a picture taken today.

Imgp0009a.jpg

• Like 2

I got Covid (along with wife, dad and mom) on our trip to the US to visit my parents.  I had it worse than everybody (which was really weird), +40C for about 3.5 days but no reaper story symptoms other than a really mild cough.  So I spent a bunch of time catching up on Peaky Blinders.  At least on our flight back to Norway every connection was delayed by the same amount so we didn't miss a single flight despite the airport chaos in Europe.

On 8/11/2022 at 9:42 AM, inkaholic said:

For you car guys, put GFoS on your must attend list. 4 days of sight and sound car stimulation. Mostly european cars but still some Japanese, American and other cars as well. 

Fun! That's another been-on-my-bucket-list-forever trip. My uncle used to race his MG's at Goodwood, it wasn't far from where he lived, and he's told me plenty about the GFoS. 

• Like 1

It's been a summer of many, many new things...but live music has been back in the priority list..been to lots of local music, saw Rebelution with Steel Pulse, Levitate Music Festival, Stick Figure, Dirty Heads, Phil Lesh, Jack Johnson, Donovan Frankenreiter, G-Love.. was amazing with great performers for 3 days followed by 4 beautiful days on Martha's Vineyard, Chris Stapleton and Elle King..have My Chemical Romance and Greta Van Fleet coming up in September and October...rehabbing the leg still and looking forward to a better winter..strength is coming back..

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I took my family and we did a 7 day hike around Mt Blanc.   started out in Chamonix and hiked around the south end of Mt Blanc, then to Italy, over into Switzerland and then back to Chamonix.   An average day was around 18-25km with about 4000' of elevation gain.  

We carried a day pack and food, and had our bags transported to the next hotel.  This was a 10/10 adventure.

IMG_5182.jpeg

• Like 4

Flew to Chicago with my son and his girlfriend last Friday. We had promised to take him to a Packers game when he graduated college. So tourist Chicago stuff on Saturday, off to Green Bay on Sunday to watch them thump da Bears, back to Chicago on Monday for more touristy stuff, flew to Toronto today. Now 3 days of visiting my daughter before home to Saskatoon. 

• Like 2