Note to New Members ×

Donek Rev 163 VS. Kessler Alpine 162 ??

barryj

Both are 7-12scr and 20 waists stock specs....which is what I want.   Anybody owned both to make a comparison?

I've got a prototype Rev 163 that I'm happy with but it's a 8.5-12.5scr and would hope a 7scr board to be a noticeable step up in responsiveness and even tighter turns. 

My 225lbs. can easily make the current Rev do a variety of turn shapes, not just slalom race turns .....shouldn't that be the case with the Kessler 162  also..............or is the K that much stiffer?? 

I'm not having much luck finding an affordable Rev 163 to purchase in the desired 7-12scr and 20 waist....and UPM   ....so that got me thinking of options and the K162.

What do the Sages say?.................................. 

30 minutes ago, BlueB said:

You do have the K168, right?

That's correct BB.........but I got it set up with a Donek AF plate, which makes it an Ice Slayer and it also saves my knees and extends my day when it gets choppy and rutted......but it seems to me the (only) cost for all that dampening is a plate lengthens the turns?  aka...won't turn near as tight as the Donek Rev.

Thus the hunt for a Turny Little Bandit! 

Can't comment on the Rev but I have a stock K162 and love it for hard conditions.  6'1", 188lbs and ride bomber-style freecarving.  No problems getting a wide range of turn radii and shapes out of it, but hard-over and fully loaded up is where it is at.  At really low speeds (catwalk, etc) I always think it feels slightly vague compared to my other boards but once the speed comes up and you sink into your stance it really impresses.  Tight-tight turns are no problem (like hit-your-chin-with-your-knee tight).  A generally centered stance works best (when transitioning from my early season boards to the Kessler I always spend a couple of days with my weight too far forwards and wind up oversteering/spinning out all the time.  I also have the impression that the Kessler likes a bit of finesse at the start of each turn (especially toe-side for me).  If I just man-handle the board as hard over as I can at each transition I wind up with some skidding.  However if I use a fraction of a second to let the board settle into the turn before going hard-over, the board will cut through hard snow like a pavement saw.  Speed control on steeps is very good.  Durability has been excellent.  For unfamiliar and steep terrain it is my goto board.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, barryj said:

That's correct BB.........but I got it set up with a Donek AF plate, which makes it an Ice Slayer and it also saves my knees and extends my day when it gets choppy and rutted......but it seems to me the (only) cost for all that dampening is a plate lengthens the turns?  aka...won't turn near as tight as the Donek Rev.

Thus the hunt for a Turny Little Bandit! 

What about your SF, barryj?

46 minutes ago, 1xsculler said:

What about your SF, barryj?

I liked the SF but I'm an old nose stomper and that centered stance the SF wants took too much effort and concentration for me on each run and therefore I  couldn't keep/get consistent turns out of it.  Easy to ride but I couldn't Drive It!..... so I let it go.

The Rev 163 on the other hand speaks my language!......you lean on the tail and it will launch you into the next turn or the woods if your not on top of your game....you lean on the nose and it will respond with neck snapping response :1luvu:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, barryj said:

Yep...that's correct. Stock specs for the K162 and K168 are 7-12 scr on a 20 waist.

168 is a much nicer freecarving board than any SL. More edge, less taper and that 7-12 is not really distributed in straight progression. I think @johnasmohas measured it very precisely. 

3 hours ago, BlueB said:

168 is a much nicer freecarving board than any SL. More edge, less taper and that 7-12 is not really distributed in straight progression. I think @johnasmohas measured it very precisely. 

How does that effect the handling quality of the board in practical terms?  I've only ridden the 162 and think it's the tits.  Is the 168 even more 'the tits', and how so in ride-feel?  I like the 162 since it is a very engaging/dynamic ride and once I swap my mindset over to that board mid-season I can't find any faults in it.  For my next board I would love something that was as reliable and engaging as the 162 but with slightly longer legs, about 3/4 of the way between the 162 and the 180 (which might be too big for my hill).

7 hours ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

Something tells me you’re just looking for an excuse to get another board! Stop questioning yourself and just throw your money into the snowboarding economy. Or just turn your rev harder. 

Absolutely agree, changing boards wont help you, just start working on tech and turn harder.

2 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

you might like a 163 SG,

Yeah.....been looking at Alpinegirls but it doesn't seem that SG ever did UPM!   :smashfrea

2 hours ago, b.free said:

Absolutely agree, changing boards wont help you, just start working on tech and turn harder.

BB that just doesn't make sense.   Theres no way my K168 with plate will turn as tight a turn as a 7scr Rev 163 or K162.....or even my 8.5scr Rev!

....and a 7scr Rev 163 or K162 will make a tighter turn than my current 8.5scr Rev.

Two different boards for two different rides....my K168/plate for crap/icy conditions and when I'm tired.  A 7-12 scr 162/3 when I want a turny little bandit.

1 hour ago, barryj said:

Yeah.....been looking at Alpinegirls but it doesn't seem that SG ever did UPM!   :smashfrea

BB that just doesn't make sense.   Theres no way my K168 with plate will turn as tight a turn as a 7scr Rev 163 or K162.....or even my 8.5scr Rev!

....and a 7scr Rev 163 or K162 will make a tighter turn than my current 8.5scr Rev.

Two different boards for two different rides....my K168/plate for crap/icy conditions and when I'm tired.  A 7-12 scr 162/3 when I want a turny little bandit.

All scr's are more or less advisatory information especially with more or less similar boards. You can turn tight 168 as well as 162.

• Like 1

I remember readin that k168 is more of a carving board, rather that racing. Same for SG170

I.e. K162 is mens SL, and one above K168 is women GS (175). I always thought that it's also the case with SG(170).  Does that mean it will ride dramatically different compared to 162? I don't think so.

5 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

@barryj you might like a 163 SG, very similar ride to the rev. I had one and regretted selling it. One of my favorite SL boards and definitely a board you have to drive. 

With Kesslers and Revs you have a lot of custom builds out there, so you never know for sure what you're getting in a used board.

I used to have Full Race Proteam and it's amazing stick. Fun and agile. 

49 minutes ago, rst said:

freecarve board should be much comfortable than SL

Again, what does this mean?  I love my K162 and only free carve with it.  Buckets of grip, no problems completing turns, etc… What is it about a ‘free carve’ board (in this turn radius class) that makes it more comfortable or better for free carving?  Are they more forgiving, but less dynamic?