Note to New Members ×

Helmet with integrated visor: suggestions?

Eboot

Do you wear corrective lenses or is this just the goggles getting fogged / misted?

The issue is ventilation. Like the forward defroster on your car, you need air movement to clear and keep clear the goggles..  Many offer vents and even fans to circulate the air....  many people keep their goggles super tight to keep their faces warm, but that reduces airflow...

I wear prescriptions, as those little divits in flat light cause me to have issues...  I find if I can keep airflow, the fog is minimized...   with the integrated visor, you will have the same issue as motorcycle or snowmobile guys have... you will have to keep it "cracked" and lift it...  the advantage will be it should stay a little clearer, but there are goggles in the market that keep some very nice airflow....

Hope this helps....

• Like 1

Do you lift up your goggles at the end of your run and have them resting on your helmet? That can increase fogging because if there is any snow or moisture on your helmet it gets inside the goggles. 

Other than that, better ventilation as TVR suggested is a good idea. Carrying around a pre-treated anti fog cloth is also helpful. I found that wiping the inside of the lens with one of those works well. 

• Like 1

I know this causes some contriversy, but my kids wore these and they never fogged.  I tried it too and was impressed, but can't bring myself to have this as an everyday helmet/goggle combo.  The goggles are massive by the way.

https://www.ruroc.com/en_us/snow-sports/ski-helmets.html

Now I just go with $40 Amazon goggle and order extra pop in lenses for $20 more.  They are magnetic so they take 5 seconds to change and I leave one lens in my jacket in case the one on my face fogs up.  On the worst days I can get a few runs in before having to reload lenses.  And, I don't have to look like a storm trooper.

• Like 2

I bought a pair of Native goggles, there was no gap at all between the top of the goggle and the helmet.  I fogged up while walking to the lift.  I went back to the car and put on my old, scratched gaggles that have a gap between the top and the helmet, no fogging.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TVR said:

with the integrated visor, you will have the same issue as motorcycle or snowmobile guys have

Some of the helmets I am seeing are not sealed, just drop the visor, so natural airflow (I assume) and would be happy with
I ride my snowmobile with visor cracked open ALL the time.

Example below
image.png.db1b5ac40585062fec064c408725f103.png

I had a helmet with integrated visor (bought it because it was the first helmet I found than fit my head properly). It did not work for me. The problem is getting snow on the inside of the visor. It does not close off as all as goggles, so when it is snowing and windy, when you fall, face shots, some snow spraying from your hand, etc., often some snow got in.

Keeping goggles on is a key thing. And the gap between helmet and top of the goggles.

Edited by TimW
  • Like 1

What temperatures do you ride in? I really struggle in very cold weather, but the central Canadian definition of "very cold" is probably different than yours. 😆

1 hour ago, pmorita said:

Now I just go with $40 Amazon goggle and order extra pop in lenses for $20 more.  They are magnetic so they take 5 seconds to change and I leave one lens in my jacket in case the one on my face fogs up.  On the worst days I can get a few runs in before having to reload lenses. 

Wow, that's a brilliant idea! Dry or de-ice the first one while riding with the second. Though I worry that I fall too often and would smash the 2nd lens... 

• Like 1

Oh, and I start many a run in milder conditions with a hand lifting one side of the goggles off my face, to let cool and dry air flush through the goggles. 

That doesn't work very well below about -20C though as any moisture can flash freeze. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corey said:

What temperatures do you ride in? I really struggle in very cold weather, but the central Canadian definition of "very cold" is probably different than yours. 😆

South African cold not Canadian cold 🙂
I tend to ride without goggles most of the time as a result of fogging so airing them is not an issue.  I tend to do that on the lift by putting them on my helmet for the trip up, but it doesn't always work - I guess that Neil's point above may talk to that issue ...

26 minutes ago, Eboot said:

South African cold not Canadian cold 🙂
I tend to ride without goggles most of the time as a result of fogging so airing them is not an issue.  I tend to do that on the lift by putting them on my helmet for the trip up, but it doesn't always work - I guess that Neil's point above may talk to that issue ...

It's not so important on a dry day but if it's snowing (or if you took a fall) then it really reduces fogging if you leave them on your face. 

Another option if you are riding in warm weather is to just ditch goggles altogether and wear sunglasses.  I have some old Oakley eye jackets that do a good job of keeping the wind out of my eyes.  I prefer them to goggles unless it's cold.  Of course the modern style is to wear goggles, preferably the biggest, shiniest pair you can afford, and so the kids think I look goofy wearing shades.

• Like 1

Hi Eboot

I was looking at Googles the other day and came across julbo aerospace.

They have a tech where you just press a button and you get a cm of space between Googles and lens.

https://youtu.be/MQ4XvhXJbho

I think they could possibly help your case.

Snowcountry.eu had quite a good price for them some time ago

Regards

Edited by slapos
  • Like 2

I tried the visor stuff a year or two back, but in powder and cold temperatures they didn't really work for me for reasons already mentioned.

The point about not taking them off is key, in my view. I never have a problem with goggles fogging up, irrespective of brand, but will never take them off all day when I'm out. Photochromic lenses mean I don't even have to take them off when the light changes.

• Like 1