Note to New Members ×

Beginner/ Intermediate Carver - Board Upgrade - Advice sought

Charlie2021

1 hour ago, wulf said:

@Charlie2021 i-carve have dropped price. Vantage 162 is 70%off for a model of previous seasons. Will be barely 200€ now I guess ...🙂

https://beta.carver.si/snowboards/outlet/snowboard_outlet

You are totally correct Wulf! Thanks for the advice. 

I will ask my final question choices.... and sorry to be so annoying - but this is very exciting!

Considering my situation - Old Rossi board, old 45 year old legs, going to the snow a few weekends per season... wanting to carve better... loving my hard boots and bindings.... which of these boards would you recommend. 

I have found them all, new, at great prices! I appreciate they are slightly older models... but I think it would be a change from my ancient Rossi! 

I think Santa Claus may come early this year!

16/17 F2 Silberpfeil Vantage 162

17/18 F2 Silberpfeil Vantage 162

17/18 F2 Eliminator 163

18/19 F2 Eliminator 163

19/20 F2 Eliminator 163

Thanks for your patience everyone. 

28 minutes ago, Charlie2021 said:

You are totally correct Wulf! Thanks for the advice. 

I will ask my final question choices.... and sorry to be so annoying - but this is very exciting!

Considering my situation - Old Rossi board, old 45 year old legs, going to the snow a few weekends per season... wanting to carve better... loving my hard boots and bindings.... which of these boards would you recommend. 

I have found them all, new, at great prices! I appreciate they are slightly older models... but I think it would be a change from my ancient Rossi! 

I think Santa Claus may come early this year!

16/17 F2 Silberpfeil Vantage 162

17/18 F2 Silberpfeil Vantage 162

17/18 F2 Eliminator 163

18/19 F2 Eliminator 163

19/20 F2 Eliminator 163

Thanks for your patience everyone. 

Vantage 168 16/17. 

Eliminator, you might find a bit too wide to ride the true alpine angles. You might want to look for something slightly narrower and tighter turning, like: http://beta.carver.si/snowboards/f2_snowboards/f2_axxis

if they had any discount on it. It's probably the most versatile board in their lineup. 

Edited by BlueB

7 hours ago, Charlie2021 said:

1. When I try to join up some turns, it is difficult to do. I find it hard to link them together.

2. I find that I am turning quite often to control my speed.

Muchas gracias. 

1) If you are tying to link the sliding turns, yes it would be harder on an alpine board. However, linking carving turns is easy with proper technique. Think of just rolling to the new edge and letting the board do the turn, rather then you having to turn the board. 

2) Yes, turning is good 🙂 That's why we ride the alpine style. Finish the turn across the hill, or even a bit uphill, to control the speed. Keep them tight, by getting high edge angle, early. 

Es un gusto para nosotros! (No idea if I said this correctly...) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Charlie2021 said:

17/18 F2 Eliminator 163

18/19 F2 Eliminator 163

19/20 F2 Eliminator 163

F2 Elim is softboot board... love it...

rode it in hardboots - it's too soft, you have babysit it in every turn... but still fun... I rode it for a season when broke alpine board

7 minutes ago, rst said:

F2 Elim is softboot board... love it...

rode it in hardboots - it's too soft, you have babysit it in every turn... but still fun... I rode it for a season when broke alpine board

cheers. I thought that actually - when I started looking at images of the board. I think I will order the 

16/17  or the 17/18

F2 Silberpfeil Vantage 162. 

I can't wait to see what the difference is like compared to my old Rossi. I wonder how old it is? I think I read that they stopped making alpine boards over 20 years ago? A new 2017 board will surely have some advances. 

Thanks all!

Go raibh maith agaibh! (Irish)

🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, wulf said:

@Charlie2021 You will be surprised HOW performing modern shapes are. Keep in mind that you will need some time to get accustomed to the new board...🙂

Good point. I have an extra set of hard boot bindings, so I can have my old Rossi as a back up - allowing me to easily do a morning with one board, and an afternoon with the other.

Time to start doing squats to try and build up those quad muscles... due to Covid it has been two years since I have been on the snow!

17 hours ago, Charlie2021 said:

I think I will order the 16/17  or the 17/18 F2 Silberpfeil Vantage 162. 

At your height and weight (similar to mine) I would strongly recommend the 168 Vantage over the 162.  The 11m sidecut will be perfect, and not at all too long.  You'll appreciate the extra length, stability, and more relaxed manners compared to the 162.

On 9/27/2021 at 6:13 AM, Charlie2021 said:

When I try to join up some turns, it is difficult to do. I find it hard to link them together.

You may find this article helpful:

http://alpinesnowboarder.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/The-Norm-Part-I.pdf

and then,

http://alpinesnowboarder.com/tech-articles/

Good luck, let us know how it goes this season!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jack M said:

At your height and weight (similar to mine) I would strongly recommend the 168 Vantage.  The 11m sidecut will be perfect, and not at all too long.  You'll appreciate the extra length, stability, and more relaxed manners compared to the 162.

You may find this article helpful:

http://alpinesnowboarder.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/The-Norm-Part-I.pdf

and then,

http://alpinesnowboarder.com/tech-articles/

Good luck, let us know how it goes this season!

"Never try to change edges while sliding; the downhill edge will catch if you try to put any weight on it."

I know all about that! 🙂

• Haha 1

My tale takes another twist!

I have found a great deal on both a 162cm and 168cm F2 Silberpfeil Vantage (2016/2017 model).

Should I consider the the 168 as I am nearly 200lbs (86kg) ???

This is exciting. So cool have such constructive knowledgable feedback from you guys!

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, pokkis said:

Is that discounted price really that much? I would expect it to be three number starting with with 7

Hi Pokkis... I didn't investigate that fully... I just searched a price for that board.....  regardless, at this point in time I'd rather a number starting with a 2, and have no more than two more digits after it! 

😄🤣

3 hours ago, pokkis said:

Check also 19/20 SG Full Race Titan 163XT - SALE 35% OFF

It is great board, easy to ride

Interesting note about that board Pokkis, 

"DID YOU KNOW? – The 163 XT is the option for large boots – no boot outs!
This board is great for taller guys with bigger feet 9.5/10.0 (43/44) and up. "

I haven't thought about that. I wear size 45 boots!

I personally dont think that Vantage is any better from what you have now. Its a basic fiberglass board with woodcore and with single sidecut radius. Very similar with your old Rossi. I know its cheap and you are limited on amount of $$$. But I would search for modern used slalom multi various sidecut boards with 162/165 length. It will give you more of understanding of what is actual modern board is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, b.free said:

I personally dont think that Vantage is any better from what you have now. Its a basic fiberglass board with woodcore and with single sidecut radius. Very similar with your old Rossi. I know its cheap and you are limited on amount of $$$. But I would search for modern used slalom multi various sidecut boards with 162/165 length. It will give you more of understanding of what is actual modern board is.

Any suggestions b.free? For modern used slalom multi various sidecut boards with 162/165 length? Some of the guys mentioned the 19/20 SG Full Race Titan 163XT, which costs about €800. Anything in the €300 - €400 range of interest?

3 minutes ago, b.free said:

It is a good point though... why spend €200 or €300 on a board that is the same as what I have?

1 minute ago, Charlie2021 said:

Any suggestions b.free? For modern used slalom multi various sidecut boards with 162/165 length? Some of the guys mentioned the 19/20 SG Full Race Titan 163XT, which costs about €800. Anything in the €300 - €400 range of interest?

Something like this

Or this one

https://www.frozen-backside.de/forum/index.php?thread/8416-rabanser-pro-team-sl-162/

Or this one

https://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14158

I agree with @b.free's suggestions. Comparing to the Speedster Vantage these are all top notch titanal boards. The Speedster Vantage is not bad, but less performant.

The Kessler 168 is the most versatile of them (variable sidecut radius 8-12 m) and it's length gives you better stability at higher speed without being bulky. If there is no delamination or structural problem caused by the damage is at the rear edge ... 

not sure if you are aware - but elan before going bankrupt, was producing all boards for SG.

Elan Ballistix rides very similar to SG Full Race, mind you I found it a little more stiffer, so requires a wee bit push more.

With regards to Vantage - this is more extreme carving board - will be wider then standard race boards.

Is extreme carving what you want to ride or you aspire more to race style or bomber?

Definitely 168.

2 hours ago, Charlie2021 said:

It is a good point though... why spend €200 or €300 on a board that is the same as what I have?

It's not.  It will have a modern camber profile which is much better.  It will give you a much easier re-entry into the sport.  The radius on the 168 will be more friendly than your Rossi.  Also, it's new, not 25+ years old and clapped out.  If you're seeing prices of 200-300 Euros for a never used Vantage from a few years ago, that's a great deal.  To get into Titanal (metal) construction, you would have to spend a lot more, as you've said.  However, if you think this is something you're going to be passionate about, it would be worth it.

35 minutes ago, rst said:

not sure which boot size you have; 

it it's not tool large, I'd try to avoid boards wider that 20cm

He said European size 45, which is mondopoint 29.5.  Based on that and the picture of his existing binding setup, the 22cm waist on the Vantage will be most welcome.  I have mondopoint 28 boots and I like a 21cm waist.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jack M said:

If you're seeing prices of 200-300 Euros for a never used Vantage from a few years ago, that's a great deal.  To get into Titanal (metal) construction, you would have to spend a lot more, as you've said.  However, if you think this is something you're going to be passionate about, it would be worth it.

Hi guys... so much detailed knowledge and advice. I must say, I feel very conflicted. I have found a new 2017 Vantage from a European warehouse for €200 plus shipping.

However, having read your tips and researched more, I must say it is very tempting to consider buying the likes of a Kessler The Alpine or something Titanium of that pedigree. 

It may be wise for me to put in a good season on my old Rossi, try to improve my carving, and then be in a better position to choose a good board in the next off season. 

Mmmm. Hard choice. 

First world problems, eh!