Note to New Members ×

Arbor board for pow & carving?

1xsculler

demoed new arbors a couple seasons ago, I have a steepwater 168 and old D70 and A65(way to soft).

the steepwater was their best all mt carver. In today's line up the only board I'd consider is the Iguchi pro162 (big as they get now). the Iguchi surprised me how capable such a short board could be, impressed. The thing I don't like is the stupid bumpouts at the edges at the bindings, and the inserts are set up for a 24in stance, I couldn't get a comfy setback for pow with my 20-21in stance width. ymmv

9 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

Arbor brand board in the 156 to 160 range that would be a good pow board and a good carver?

Maybe  4 years ago I tried an Arbor A Frame with hard boots and it was just ok......I sold it off quickly

This is what ya need - in order of Good to Best for carving and pow!    Any of these are 10 times better than any current Arbor option using hardboots or soft!

Jones Storm Chase r    147, 152 and 160cm - $599

Moss U5 -  157cm  $747

Moss PQ60 -  154 and 160 models   $1175

25 minutes ago, barryj said:

Maybe  4 years ago I tried an Arbor A Frame with hard boots and it was just ok......I sold it off quickly

This is what ya need - in order of Good to Best for carving and pow!    Any of these are 10 times better than any current Arbor option using hardboots or soft!

Jones Storm Chase r    147, 152 and 160cm - $599

Moss U5 -  157cm  $747

Moss PQ60 -  154 and 160 models   $1175

Thanks, Barry, I really appreciate your opinion. I did fall in love with that 156 Lib Tech Dynamo but since it’s the first board of that type I have ridden I figure there must be others out there. 

Awesome, Barry!

OMG, it’s THE TURN!  That speaks to my soul!
After carving and hitting the pow on the little Lib Tech with my hardboots and 35/20 I am beginning to seriously question why I punish myself on my 19 and 20cm alpine carving sticks at 55/55 especially when they eliminate the pow option and the riding with my softboot son-in-law and skiing with my grandkids when they like to do the steep and deep in Jackson. 

• Like 1

I have 3 Arbors, that I keep mostly for the beauty of the top sheets: A-frame 170, D66 and D62. They are ok carvers and mediocre pow boards. I always found the nose slightly too stiff for both applications, on all of them. 

From other oldish boards, the  original Steepwater 170 carves better than A-frame and rides pow about the same. Also, Dynastar/O'Sin 3800 169 rides pow better and carves pretty damn good.  

6 hours ago, barryj said:

Jeremy Jones on his signature Storm Chaser........chasing The Turn!    In my backyard at Squaw.

I am surprised that anyone, including Jeremy Jones, can make pretty big arcing turns when laying a board with a 6ish side cut radius almost 90° to the snow. I would expect that Storm Chaser would make a super sharp, i.e. too sharp, of a turn to be a nice carve. I found that to be somewhat the case with the Lib Tech Dynamo so I think I would like a pow board with more like a 9ish radius (Maybe a Jones Hovercraft) to be better for carving and still float out and be super easy to ride pow in, I think???

6 hours ago, barryj said:

Jeremy Jones on his signature Storm Chaser........chasing The Turn!    In my backyard at Squaw.

Those are some nice turns!

19 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

Man, I think a swallowtail is the way to go, especially with hardboots. I've only ridden Mark's PC's, but it was a revelation. The stance is in the sweet spot for carving groom or powder.

I’m thinking I would prefer a shorter board for easier handling and a SCR closer to 9 for making tighter turns on the steeps. What do you think?

16 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

why I punish myself on my 19 and 20cm alpine carving sticks

Yeah having a variety of tools for the job is such a pain and annoyance!    I mean having to make decisions on what board you want to ride day to day is so stressful.  Let me help you out brother...... just send me all your Thirst sticks!        There.....I'm sure that will make  ya feel better!!

16 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

carving sticks at 55/55 especially when they eliminate the pow option

If I had to choose one Do IT All Board it would be my Moss PQ60   It wants to carve and loves the pow...on the same run! Seriously you can his 3ft pow then pop out on the groom to lay down some Smack Daddy Carves and then jump right back into the pow........On The Same Run!

My second choice if ya don't want a swallotail and/or to spend a Grand would be my Moss U5.   It loves pow and can carve.

I ride both  of them in hardboots at 60/62 and have no problem in the pow.

7 minutes ago, barryj said:

Yeah having a variety of tools for the job is such a pain and annoyance!    I mean having to make decisions on what board you want to ride day to day is so stressful.  Let me help you out brother...... just send me all your Thirst sticks!        There.....I'm sure that will make  ya feel better!!

If I had to choose one Do IT All Board it would be my Moss PQ60   It wants to carve and loves the pow...on the same run! Seriously you can his 3ft pow then pop out on the groom to lay down some Smack Daddy Carves and then jump right back into the pow........On The Same Run!

My second choice if ya don't want a swallotail and/or to spend a Grand would be my Moss U5.   It loves pow and can carve.

I ride both  of them in hardboots at 60/62 and have no problem in the pow.

Why do you ride them at such high angles?  I doubt they are narrower than 25 at the waist. 

6 minutes ago, 1xsculler said:

Why do you ride them at such high angles?

I tried Burton Step On's and softboot angles and it just didn't work for me.  You got to be a Yogi master or have much younger legs and knees to carve in softboots imo!      I tried less steep hardboot angles on the Moss but it just didn't work for me.   I'm a mutant........ 

3 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

Why do you ride them at such high angles?  I doubt they are narrower than 25 at the waist. 

Over the years, few of regulars here tried to convince him about more reasonable angles, to no avail. It's all good, everyone should ride how they feel comfy and have fun, but should be kept in mind when taking advice. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jack M said:

You should also consider the Ride Commissioner.  Formerly known as the Timeless.  @Termin8tor has one and carves the heck out of it.  Titanal/CF construction, looks crazy high tech, and has a nose good for powder. 

@eardragger also has a Ride Timeless that he is fond of, I believe.

8 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

I’m thinking I would prefer a shorter board for easier handling and a SCR closer to 9 for making tighter turns on the steeps. What do you think?

From my limited experience with powder boards that can carve, I've found that the tight scr's of typical production powder boards made for softboots felt too tight for carving in HB. Plus, they're usually wider than I like for HB.

I don't know what the scr is on the 169 PCjv, but I believe it comes out of the same mold as the SF. The PCjv has a 151 EE compared to the SF at 149.2. It feels almost as turny as the SF on cord, like a SL board. It's probably close to what you seek.  When the swallowtail sinks in powder, the board rides like a shorter board and is turnier.  I don't believe the scr is as much of a factor in powder because you're turning on the bottom of the board. But, on cord it carves like any of my carving boards, no compromise.

The Prior Powstick used to have quite a fan club here with hardbooters.

2 hours ago, queequeg said:

@eardragger also has a Ride Timeless that he is fond of, I believe.

I demoed the metaltop Timless, it was great! To wide for by baby suzed hard boots, though. 

40 minutes ago, bigwavedave said:

The Prior Powstick used to have quite a fan club here with hardbooters.

4807 for the win!