Note to New Members ×

Hardboot buying advice

TimW

Looking to buy new hardboots, but since we are spoilt for options nowadays, I'd like to get your opinions.

Currently I have Deeluxe LeMans, 2003ish, with Intec. Ride them in walk mode. This is OK for me, but there is certainly room for improvement. I use Technica ski boot liners in them. Preferred them over the (non-TF) wrap liners. Boots are mondo 30, my feet are ~295, pretty sure a size smaller shell would be OK. Generally not that critical on boots, my feet seem to be easy going.

Small video to give you an impression of my riding (best quality I have, not really into GoPros and such 🙂 )

List of options:

Deeluxe 325 / 425: Well I know these, probably would buy just the shell and custom liners (and a spring mech.). Are the TF liners much better/different than the normal ones?

Deeluxe 700: A bit softer shell as I understand? How do these compare to the 325? Is the asym cuff good or bad?

UPC RC12 / XC12 / EC 12: With the heel position, will there be any fitting issues on a large TD2 and large F2 titanium (mondo 295)? How do the compare to the deeluxe? XC12 or EC12 with the long spring box seems to be the better option for me (being used to riding walk mode)? The swoard EC12 package does not seem to bad a deal with additional springs and tongues.

UPZ AT8: Don't seem to be very popular. Worth considering to make the choice a bit more complicated?

Mountain Slope: by far the most expensive option since I would also need new bindings. Also worried on side to side flex. Hated the side to side flexibility of Burton reactor / burton race plate combo, at the time I put a steel pin through the heel of the boot with hooks on the binding to eliminate flex and that was a huge improvement to me. So I don't really see a reason to go MS.

Please let me know your thoughts, feedback much appreciated.

Edited by TimW

Happily ride UPZ RC10 mondo 29 on Intec F2s and Bomber TD3s.

Remember, you're looking at a same/shorter shell if you go to mondo 29. UPZ heel just moved things in a little more. I moved away from Deeluxe because of heel hold issues, and that is better in my UPZs. Use Intuition Powerwrap liners after stock UPZ liners left me with blistered shins.

UPZ North America have had end of season sales in the past. I bought my boots during one of those.

PS: nothing too shabby about the riding in the video! 👍

Edited by SunSurfer

@TimW

I don't know your size but big feet are often connected to larger people. I'm 292mm myself.

I broke my 425 Pro buckles twice while riding, once lead to a break in my malleolus and the second a refracture of the same bone. There is no heel pocket in the DeeLuxe line... An noted boot savant compares it to a missile silo. I won't wear DeeLuxe again.

UPZs have a great heel pocket but crappy liners and ok plastics. They do accept intecs but it is kind of hidden under the boot which can be a PITA.

The .951 has followers and most of the PGS tour folk are using them.  Yeah not intec compatible but maybe someone wants to swap toes and heels. 

The S5 (951 built in Asia) doesn't have a shell big enough for us.

The only other options are ski boots (Full tilt, Dabello, etc)... Works for some and issues for others.

Good luck, sorry for the negativity.  The lack of boot progress gets me all worked up.

4 hours ago, TimW said:

Deeluxe LeMans, 2003ish

That was a great boot back in the day........but seriously anything off your list is going to run circles around your 18 year old boot.

I  love my Deluxe 425's but I had great success with  Track 700's and 325's also.

I found I could go a full modo size down with  Deluxe boots and that Really helped the  supposed Heel Lift.....you should try  a mondo 28 and there are plenty of used Deluxe boots floating around here and Alpine  Snowboard Trader. 

6 hours ago, lonbordin said:

@TimW

The S5 (951 built in Asia) doesn't have a shell big enough for us.

@TimW

I have S5 shells that I wanted to try. I have a foot of 285mm and i have an S5 shell that without a liner has 1.5 fingers behind the heel to the shell of the boot. They currently sit in my closet 😛

Thats bigger then what I have in my 951 C shell.

The only drawback of S5 was bigger footprint then 951 requiring me to go from med to large f2 bindings.

The gentlemen from Korea has made a recomendation for me on this size, however I think i could easily go one shell size smaller.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

@SunSurfer how is the sizing on the UPZ boots? I saw EC12 and RC12 for 500 euro in a webshop, but noticed that they recommend to go up .5 to 1 size (european) from your shoe size. If I follow mondopoint I need to go 1 size down from my shoe size. 🤔

I understood that the liners UPZ has no (flo liners) are better than the old ones, can anybody confirm?

@lonbordin I am 6'3 / 1.91 and 80kg/180lbs. Your experience does not sound too good for the new Deeluxe buckles, thanks for that input!

@barryjHow do the 700 compare to 325s? Did you notice much difference from the different design while riding?

@slaposI'll pass on the S5's, I would have .5 a finger then, a bit too much of a performance fit for me. I like comfort! Just overdoing it a bit on my current boots 😀.

The stated UPZ sizes are best thought of as "big, bigger, biggest". The one that UPZ calls 8.5/9/9.5 and many people call a 28 is much roomier than my Deeluxe 28. I just put my bare foot into those Deeluxes and can't believe I used to wear them. Both sides of foot touching plastic in front. Some toes hitting the front while heel backed up to shell. On the other hand, the UPZ gives nice clearance all around. (My larger foot is 29.8 cm measured flat.)

The next UPZ size up is really huge. But if you had no problem with Deeluxe 30 I'm sure they'd be fine. 

There's not a lot of advantage to oversized boots, though. Harder to get toeside pressure to the edge.

@teachso you are in a 312mm shell?  

@lonbordin saw that you are also in a 312 shell with 290 (cm???)feet. What would you say for 295? 324 shell?

295 is on the upper end for the shell according to (all of their) their size chart(s), from that I would guess it is a pretty safe choice:

sizechart.png

Anyone with feedback on the liners? Should I count on having to get new ones?

@SunSurferthanks for the compliment!

Edited by TimW

292 but it's tight. Less than a finger of space between heel and shell and some work up front to widen for my toes... And work for my high instep.

Thin liners... Old worn out DeeLuxe liners.

Nice insoles though!

Could 295 fit in the 312? Yes, but your choice of liners will be limited and you should bring the bootfitter snacks.

The 324 would be a lot easier.

Edited by lonbordin
Always bring snacks...

https://imgur.com/a/JNjfR1v (images of my feet shape + photo of my feet)
I used 3D Avatar Feet to do these images (Google Play store). It used an A4 piece of paper as a reference size/shape and involved multiple photos guided by an onscreen rectangle. The software undersized my foot length by approx 1cm.

Measuring my feet by heel against a known vertical and to tip big toe I am 28.9 and 29.0 cm. I use the 324mm UPZ shell with Intuition mondo 29.0 liners. I used the same UPZ size chart shown above to reach that decision based on my measured foot length and knowing that my toes needed room from my previous Head Stratos Pros mondo 29 boots needing to have big toe punch outs.

I have had to have both my UPZ shells punched out to give my big toes more room to the side because of the way my toes splay out. Prior to this the big toes would bruise and be very sore in the UPZs. Apart from that my toes have enough room to move inside the boot toe box and to allow me to make more active balancing movements.

Edited by SunSurfer

4 minutes ago, TimW said:

Just ordered the XC12 boots. Thanks for the advice!

I was going to suggest that since you seem to like softer boots.  Many people report heel lift in the Deeluxe Track 700, and that was my experience.  I'm not sure if the 325/425 are any better in that department but they are narrower.  UPZ and Mountain Slope are famous for great heel hold.  You'll be able to fine tune your stiffness with the spring system and selection of tongues.  I think you'll be very pleased., this will be a nice upgrade.  Great days of riding ahead for you!  Enjoy!!

2 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

https://imgur.com/a/JNjfR1v (images of my feet shape + photo of my feet)
I used 3D Avatar Feet to do these images (Google Play store). It used an A4 piece of paper as a reference size/shape and involved multiple photos guided by an onscreen rectangle. The software undersized my foot length by approx 1cm.

Measuring my feet by heel against a known vertical and to tip big toe I am 28.9 and 29.0 cm. I use the 324mm UPZ shell with Intuition mondo 29.0 liners. I used the same UPZ size chart shown above to reach that decision based on my measured foot length and knowing that my toes needed room from my previous Head Stratos Pros mondo 29 boots needing to have big toe punch outs.

I have had to have both my UPZ shells punched out to give my big toes more room to the side because of the way my toes splay out. Prior to this the big toes would bruise and be very sore in the UPZs. Apart from that my toes have enough room to move inside the boot toe box and to allow me to make more active balancing movements.

@Beckmann AG check that out!

@Jack Mmy reasoning was the same, although I am not actually sure what hardness level I like. I never got to installing a spring system on the Deeluxe, so my options were walk mode or locked, 2 pretty extreme options. Pretty sure I will like a bit more of support. Laterally I am sure I like decent stiffness at higher binding angles, but with Intec a bit softer shell should be good.

But nowadays the only option is pretty much to buy some boots and hope you like them. Glad I am not on too tight a budget anymore.

Edited by TimW

6 hours ago, TimW said:

@barryjHow do the 700 compare to 325s? Did you notice much difference from the different design while riding?

700's a little firmer but harder to buckle with the old style tapered buckles...now they are square and you can get a better grip on them.

325's more flex, but that's why I bought them.... for pow in Tahoe.