Note to New Members ×

Schwietzer '21 masks required

b0ardski

Wednesday is cool and breezy with mostly sun and some broken clouds.  It is the 2nd day of groom and everything is firm, fast, and grippy.  I got the first tracks on mid/lower Ridge and it was hero.  One run down Pend Oreille, a couple down Lower K and Cathedral.  Around 10:40 the line at Stella became instantly stupid.

I have figured out that many schools in Western Washington are now on break and everyone is coming over here.  YOU WASHINGTONIANS SHOULD STAY HOME AND GO BACK TO WHERE YOU CAME FROM.  JUST STOP IT WITH YOUR DRIVING ABOUT SKIING IN IDAHO BEHAVIOR.  (I hope I don't sound unwelcoming.)

I made adjustments to my bindings and the Oxess is performing well.

Thursday is colder than expected.  It starts sunny but clouds over at open and getting sun on any given run is hit-and-miss.  Everything is pretty darn firm now.  I hit B-chute at open but slid a couple of times when my lazy-ass out-of-balance carving style wouldn't keep the edge in.  Definitely firmer than hero.  Lower K was good.  Cathedral was in full shadow and a bit on the firm side.    I got a couple of really nice runs down Loophole with good vis before I left around 11.   Not nearly as crowded as yesterday for some reason.  Maybe I got people to stay away?  Snow is in the forecast for tonight and may continue for days.   Temperatures might get warm enough to rain again by Sunday or Monday?   Noooooooo.

Tuesday might have been a reasonable carving day but it was RUINED by a freak snowstorm that dumped over an inch between 7 and 8 AM.  The snow was windblown so on places like Lower K there were areas of bare groom and over 2" deep on the sides that made things awfully inconsistent.  Some areas around lower Stella seem a bit icy and I think that it either rained or slushed down here during the previous day.  Temps are around freezing with broken clouds and generally good vis.  Tomorrow should be better with good weather in the forecast.

Wednesday was cool with some clouds and periods of good sun.  Pretty good snow everywhere.  Mark got hit by a skier on Jack's on our first run from the top but fortunately it wasn't at high speed so there were no injuries.  It was a remarkably dorky move on the part of the skier who had all the opportunity in the world to yield but seemed to have been confused by the weird carving motions.  Everybody who saw it happen was flabbergasted.

We got good runs in most of the usual places but never went to Stella because Cathedral was supposedly ungroomed.  Upper K was doable and we finished with a run through the park.   Out at 11:30 to a full parking lot.  Many people came up today. 

Edited by ExcelsiorTheFathead

On 2/24/2021 at 1:47 PM, ExcelsiorTheFathead said:

Wednesday was cool with some clouds and periods of good sun.  Pretty good snow everywhere.  Mark got hit by a skier on Jack's on our first run from the top but fortunately it wasn't at high speed so there were no injuries.  It was a remarkably dorky move on the part of the skier who had all the opportunity in the world to yield but seemed to have been confused by the weird carving motions.  Everybody who saw it happen was flabbergasted.

We got good runs in most of the usual places but never went to Stella because Cathedral was supposedly ungroomed.  Upper K was doable and we finished with a run through the park.   Out at 11:30 to a full parking lot.  Many people came up today. 

BB976E29-D71D-41AF-9B2B-1329F556C076.jpeg.2da60cdf5e88cdb046fbd9219e28a3b3.jpeg

• Sad 2

Monday is mostly sunny and too warm.  Dane's snowboarding school is in operation today.  I got good runs in most of the usual places but the star was Zip Down.  By the time I left after 12 the parking lot was in full slush mode.  I suspect that we will have low-altitude thaw-freeze tomorrow morning, and it will get worse as the week progresses.  Too early for this kind of springiness.

2021-03-01 10.17.54 (2).jpg

Edited by ExcelsiorTheFathead

Tuesday is cloudy with some sun breaks and pretty windy.  The parking lot is an icy mess at open but the bunny slope is surprisingly good.  Most of the runs were in good shape for carving although the lower areas started to soften up quite a bit.  I left after 11 and the parking lot was back to slush.  Warm weather continues.  Few people are coming up.

Wednesday is hot, sunny and sweaty.  The parking lot is frozen at open and the bunny slope is a bit on the firm side.  Dane, Mark and I hit the usual places and found variable but generally good conditions.  Some places were softening up quickly, but we got many good runs in.  Temps will continue to be too high thru Friday.  A lady stopped us at the triple and said that her kids have some old Priors that need to be gotten rid of, so we'll see if that is fruitful.

Thursday has lots of bright sunshine and the village temp at open is above freezing.  I'm wearing only my shell with no thermals or insulating layers.  Overdressed people are bursting into flames.  All the snow on the front side was extremely variable and poor for carving.  I thought that I might not find good snow but Lower K was decent.  Upper Cathedral and Zip Down were extremely good around 10-11 AM with hero grip.   I think that tomorrow I'll head straight to the back at open and not waste time with the front side runs.

Friday is more of the same but slightly overcast with a little wind as a new weather system starts to move in.  Lower K is smooth, firm and fast.  Cathedral and Zip Down also good carving.  Sometime around 11 the line at Stella got annoying.  It seems like a Friday crowd shows up regardless of the conditions.  There's supposed to be new snow over the weekend followed by days of good weather.   When I left around 11:45 the parking lot was a mud bog.  I hate coming home with muddy boots.

Monday after 4" of new snow over the weekend.  It is suitably cold again with filtered sun thru a high altitude overcast.  The groom is firm and fast in many places but Abaracadabara was rather awful with crunchy soft weirdness.  On our way to the back we saw some ruts that were hard to identify and it turns out that Sultan Guy is in town this week. 

Tuesday was a good carving morning.  Cool with clouds moving around and some sun.  The snow was good to excellent everywhere we went with few people on the mountain.  It was getting a little warm by 11 AM and the thin snow in the parking lot was starting to melt.  But the weather forecast doesn't call for crazy warm, so this whole week should be good.

• Like 1

Wednesday has perfect firm groom in most places but there is a huge cloud blocking the sun and the light is flat.  I went straight to the back at open and got first tracks on Lower K.  Stella runs were also good but it was hard to read the terrain.  Very few people on the hill.  I had to ride by myself today and I'm saving energy for tomorrow so I left early.

Thursday morning is full-on sunny with good groom again.  Just me and Sultan Guy tearing it up like we did back in the 2009-10 season.  AM groomed Cathedral was a little crumbly but Zip Down was firm and tight.  We ripped up Lower K pretty good as well.  The resort is dead empty but we expect crowds tomorrow.  Some guy on the chair told us that Schweitzer sold 13000 season passes when the normal amount is 4000.  Could that possibly be true?

• Like 1

Friday is another sunny day starting cool then warming up.  We went straight to the back and rode Lower K then moved on to Stella.  Zip Down is the best there again.  Rode hard until 11:30 and managed to miss the crowds.  When I drove out the parking lot was mud and had filled with cars.  I got back on my Coiler skwal today and had to ride quite a bit slower to keep it in the groove since it is tighter than the Oxess.  It doesn't like to go fast.

Sunday is sunny with temps around freezing at open.  This is the first day of DST and few people came up early.  Bunny slope is a bit too firm.  Jack's had springtime variable weirdness.  B-chute was  kinda ok.  Lower Ridge didn't feel right.  The better snow is in the back.  Lower K and Cathedral were the best today.  I saw a few deep carves on Vagabond and Zip Down but know not who made them....   The crowds hit around 11 when I went back to my car.   There were big lines at the front quads and the parking lot was full.

Monday has temps well below freezing in the higher elevations but above freezing in the village.  Bunny slope is grippy and unfrozen at 8:30.  I got first chair on the quad, then on Cedar Park, and first tracks on Lower K but it is slightly too firm.  I'm back on the larger-radius Oxess today and didn't feel confident about opening up and charging hard here.  The skies are overcast with a big thick cloud socking in the upper third of the resort and a tiny amount of snow is falling. 

I went over to Stella as did most people because it is below the cloud and found AM groomed Cathedral to be Gooood.  Zip Down was PM groomed and slightly too firm.  I ended up just lapping Cathedral until 10:30 and left after that. 

This was the first day of Spring Fling pass validity, but very few people were on the hill in the morning.

According to the news, a skier died on the hill on Friday after injuries sustained in some kind of single-person accident.  Few details are available but some people were saying that he hit a tree.