Note to New Members ×

Schwietzer '21 masks required

b0ardski

this storm track should get things started

20203662040_GOES17-ABI-np-GEOCOLOR-900x5

snap_c1.jpg

Update on Friday, November 13 at 2:45pm:
We are getting closer and closer to our projected opening day of November 27, 2020 and it's been a super snowy day with 6" of new snow overnight and 7" more during the day today! Yes, the stoke is high and we can't wait to get out there!

We realize that it's still a complicated situation due to Covid this winter and want to remind anyone who purchased a 2020/21 season pass that you have until Sunday, November 15 to rollover your pass if you chose to do so. Please contact Guest Services at 208.263.9555, ext 1246 between 11am - 4pm and they will happily help you!

Thanks for checking the snow report page! We will update this page again on Monday, November 16. If you are curious what it's doing up here, check out our webcams!

Till we are open, lodging and dining options are available year-round so come up to enjoy a little mountain solitude before the season starts!

Curious about what the forecast has in store for the mountain? Click here!

https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES17/ABI/SECTOR/np/GEOCOLOR/20203662040_GOES17-ABI-np-GEOCOLOR-3600x2160.jpg

Edited by b0ardski

I didn't bother with the WROD, looks like getting there was the dangerous part.

pretty much my sentiments too Art

On 11/21/2020 at 5:17 PM, ExcelsiorTheFathead said:

I watched that on the cam and it looked like someone had custom planned a super spreader event.  I won't be up until I can ride on a weekday with hopefully more than one major lift turning.

• 2 weeks later...

the conditions first thing this morning we’re almost perfect for carving. It got beat up fast with the limited terrain. The main run of the basin express and a bunny hill are totally covered. The grooming is good and very consistent. Plus it was sunny with perfect visibility.  I’ll be up there again tomorrow around 9:00 probably be on the 11 o’clock bus down.

I got around 4 runs in this morning.  By 10 AM the lift line was a little annoying.  There is no singles queue and pairing up with others is not encouraged.  Seems like everyone is wearing a face covering of some kind in the lift line.  Not bad for what it is.  My ass got fat over the summer and I am out of shape.  I'll be up on good weather weekdays just trying to ease back into things.

I got 4 mornings last week and 2 so far this week.  Conditions were not bad but things are deteriorating now because of no recent snow.  The triple closed today and the natural snow areas are thin and brown.  Midway is still ok but the top has some hard skitch, narrow grooming and a few floating rocks.  The lower angle areas on Midway are still ok, and the bunny slope has been consistently good although it is starting to get thin spots.

Edited by ExcelsiorTheFathead

Conditions are getting worse.  Thinner, browner, skitchier.  The bunny slope was pretty firm this morning as was the bottom of Midway.  The middle low-angle part of Midway was ok, but the top was in clouds with bad vis.   We absolutely need a refresh.  Some snow is in the forecast, but we need major dumpage.

soft groomers were fun today ,where you could see it, wax mattered, the voile 170 vtail split did surprisingly well being pushed by the scarpa ATs; dug in the nose once but the tail held a carve pretty well in the variable fresh on icy slush

Edited by b0ardski
  • Like 1

I rode the bunny slope from 8:30 to 9:45 this morning with good packed groom.  More new snow fell during the week and the Great Escape Quad opened today.  By 10:00 when I drove out the parking lots were filling up. 

3 days for me this week, all on the bunny slope because of bad vis or other issues up high.  Never got scanned even once. 

The vacation period is here so I might not ride for the next 2 weeks.  If the weather is good I might try to sneak in for the 1st hour and get out quickly.

I always say that I'm not going to the mountain but go anyway.  Finally there was some good weather after days of snow, wind, and some rain.  Great Escape Quad is running as well as the Triple and Stella on the back side so there is a fair amount of acreage for the crowds to disperse into.  My intention was to stay on the front but I ran into Mark and we made a run down the Divide then Loophole which had good snow and grooming. 

The bunny slope was pretty firm because of the rain and warm temps over the past several days, but it had enough grip to be fun.  Upper Midway was a bit chunky and gritty.  Overall the coverage is getting better but I still fear rocks.  Fortunately I haven't hit any so far.

I left around 10:30 when things were getting unpleasantly crowded.

Christmas Eve with sunny skies and cold temps.  I got 2 early bunny slope runs then happened to meet up with Dane.  We did 5 hard-charging loops down Loophole with almost hero snow.  Good times.  I was out by 10:30.

Dane at the top of the quad heading down Divide.

Photo Resizer 2020_12_24_12_24_52.jpg

Looking up Loophole

Photo Resizer 2020_12_24_12_25_12.jpg

• Like 1

Merry Christmas From Idaho.

Good snow on Loophole again.  Made a few runs with Dane and Ian then we went to check out Vagabond which was well groomed but a little too firm.  The bottom areas are not great with thin spots and a few floating rocks.  Going up Stella, the view of Cathedral looks like it isn't fully covered with some thin spots and undulations showing.  We took a ride on Zip Down and it was pretty unpleasant.  Too firm, even icy with thin spots and some rocks.  The bottom runout to Stella isn't the least bit flat and there are a couple of frozen ice plates where the spring water bubbles to the surface.   This whole area won't be good for carving until we get 1 or 2 feet of new snow.

We returned to Loophole and did a couple more good carving runs.   I left around 11:30 with the parking lot not even full yet.  A quiet Christmas.

View at the top of Loophole at 9 AM.

2020-12-25 09.02.44.jpg

• Like 1

Sunday 12/27, and another episode of the Dane and Art show.  Something like 6 inches of new snow fell yesterday so things are much softer today.  One run down the bunny slope at 8:30 but it is clear that today is going to be crowded.  Rather than risk getting stuck in the lift line there we got in line at the Great Escape Quad and waited for the bell.  It opened a little before 9 and we headed for Loophole which was good but a little soft.  From the 1st return to the Quad the lift line was pretty big.  I think we made 3 loops there then went down Vagabond which was pretty decent. 

The Cedar Park lift opened yesterday and we made two runs down Lower Kaniksu.  It had soft stripey grooming.  Coverage is pretty decent except for a couple of places where big twigs are sticking up and threaten to rip your junk off.  Today's snow is softish and inconsistent but it was definitely carving-doable.   Upper Kaniksu, on the other hand is super-not-doable.  It hasn't been groomed yet and has an obvious huge depression that needs to filled with snow before the run can be flat.

Up Stella and then we made one run down Cathedral.  First thing to mention is that many, many trees have been thinned out from this entire Stella area.  Visibility of Cathedral from the lift and vice-versa is much improved.   The middle part of the run below the cut-off cat track seems wider.   It probably isn't, but it feels that way.  Coverage on this run seems good enough for carving as long as the surface conditions are good.

We left around 10:30 and the place was getting packed full.

Things are shaping up.  More snow later this week.  I'm out of town for a few days.

Got a late start after blowin snow, got to the round about about 10 and rounded the round about right back down and across the valley home to avoid the ridiculous time sucking holiday shit show shuttle from the fire station
shoulda took a clue from the downhill traffic and turned around sooner; constant flow up while driving back down.
up early tomorrow for happy hangover turns ahead of the crowd

Tuesday.  Over 3' of new snow in the past week.  Temps are in the high 20s, uncomfortably close to going over freezing.  While there is lots of heavy snow at the resort, it has just been raining down in town. 

Driving up at 8 AM there are lots of cars on the road.  The parking lot filled pretty quickly and there were lots of people.   Don't these people have jobs?  The bell rung around 8:50 but the Quad had a huge line and wasn't loading yet.  Troy, Russ, Tanya, Dane and I went up the Basin lift.  I came down and got caught up in some soft snow and crashed.  Even the groomed areas are pretty soft.  It is cloudy with bad vis so Dane and I went up the Quad and down Divide and Vagabond.  Then one run down Lower Kanisku which was soft and difficult to read the surface. 

Everything below the Cedar Park load and around the lower Stella area was strangely firm and even icy in places.  My guess is that it rained down here.

We did one run down Cathedral which was too soft, then just did repeated loops down Vagabond which has a gentle enough slope to be carveable while soft. 

Not a bad day, but just too soft for good carving.