Note to New Members ×

Schwietzer '21 masks required

b0ardski

""Not a bad day, but just too soft for good carving."" 

That's why I took the Eldo, went to the top for wind packed braille powder on A-chute, back up the triple and over to upper headwall, good stuff, quad to the colburn side, down debbie sue was tits. Got 3 runs of sweet untracked low angle cream cheese cruizing thru the new glades (more like clearcuts, the greedy phuqers), which was mostly effortless with a little speed:biggthump

the groomers were vaiable at best, from hard to see ridgey soft to icy at the bottom.

Edited by b0ardski

Thursday after a few more inches of new snow yesterday.  The morning started with nice sunshine but clouds quickly rolled in.  Did a run down Ridge from the top of the Quad.  Grooming was a little inconsistent and bumpy.  Up and over to Cedar Park for a couple of runs down Lower K with good carving but the lower part of the run was in bad vis.   Soon enough the whole area was socked in with freezing fog.  We did a few runs down smooth Vagabond where visibility is less important.  Out at 11:30ish.  Upper K was groomed but it can wait for a later day.  Rain is in the forecast next week.  Hope that doesn't happen.

Rode Sunday and Monday with Dane and Ian.  Sunday was pretty crowded but we managed to get a couple of hours in with good conditions.  Monday was utterly uncrowded.  Bad vis up high but pretty good for Midway, Lower K and Stella.  The groom is excellent.  Slightly soft and slow because of warm temps just below freezing but good carving.  We were looking for MARK all morning but never saw him.  WTF?

Sunny Thursday.  Not to be dramatic, but yesterday was a CATASTROPHIC RAIN EVENT.  Bunny slope is firm enough to be unpleasant.  I went up the Triple and tried Jack's which was alternating stripes of soft tilled and hard ice.  Coming down Midway I crossed an ungroomed section to reach the bottom of Sam's and it was hard-frozen crust.  The very bottom of Ridge by the lift was carveable but I suspect they did multiple passes with the groomer here.  Up the Quad and down Vagabond which was quite firm despite having an AM groom.  Lots of tree debris has been tilled in.  At Stella I rode up with the guy who rides the custom Sneva monoski.  He said that Zip Down isn't bad but I am dubious.  From Stella you can see many otherwise healthy trees that have snapped their trunks.  I took the cat track back down and went home.

Friday with continuing PTRD (Post Traumatic Rain Disorder).  Gloomy and cloudy.  I get on the hill at 8:30 and do a couple of bunny slope runs.  Still too firm in places and utterly inconsistent.  At the bell I go up the Basin Quad and take a run down Sam's and the bottom of Ridge.  Not bad.  The area near the lift has been tilled so much that I can actually make some reasonable turns.  But it is starting to rain a little and it is freezing on my goggles.  I can't wipe it off.  I make another trip up the lift and come down Midway.  This run is bad.  Hard undercrust, tilled up ice, etc.  By the time I reach the bottom my goggles are iced up so I head back to my car and bail.  Out at 9:25.

Sunday of MLK weekend.  Windy and cloudy with some sunbreaks.  2" of new fell in the morning and most runs have new over groom, even the ones groomed on the morning shift.  The tops of the hills have terrible vis and scouring winds.  Vagabond was groomed just before open so I just do loops there until the lift line at Stella started to get annoying.  Out at 10:15.

There was going to be night skiing this weekend but it was cancelled cuz of rampant non-compliance with masking requirements on previous nights, and many incidents of verbal abuse against employees.   I  even heard that somebody tried to assault the CEO?  Don't know if that is true.  Regular daytime ops are pretty civil.

Dragged under the chair?   Ow.  Hope that gets better soon.

MLK Monday.   Early morning webcam shots show the lodge in bright sunshine but when I get there the whole resort seems to be in clouds.  I lined up early on the Basin Quad and at open found that the top of the mountain is still sunny.  I get 3rd chair on the Triple and get the first ruts on Jack's which is smooth, firm, fast and maybe 85% of hero grip.  I got 4 runs down Jack's before it got so crowded up there that getting a clear shot was impossible.  B-Chute was NOT groomed for some reason so everybody was heading off the lift for Jack's or Ridge.  All the off-piste is either roped off or still terrible.  Everything from the top to bottom of the Basin Quad was in heavy fog.  I thought about going to see if the backside might have acceptable vis but just decided to bag it and leave before the whole resort filled up with people.  Out at 9:40.  Totally worth it.

Tuesday.  The resort is sandwiched between low and high cloud layers.  I went up to Jack's at open again to find it perfectly groomed but a little too firm.  From the Quad, Pend Oreille didn't look like it was groomed wide so I skipped it, then on a lark went down JR's which was too fast, too firm and too scary for me to deal with.  

Vis on the back doesn't seem great so I stayed on the front and just did loops on mid and lower Ridge which had good grip.  Out around 10:20.   Crowds were minimal.

Wednesday.   Sunny and mostly clear.  Lower Ridge was groomed wide under the chair so I just did runs on the Basin chair going down Sam's, mid/lower Ridge.  Smooth groom with good grip.  Not sure how the steep runs are today, but I got tired  out and left around 10:15.   Saw Troy from the lift.   Not sure where Mark is on a Wednesday?  "He lost the passion."

• Like 1

i saw the cat's light on stiles at 6;00 am on the web cam this morning, so I skipped work and went there 1st run, been a long time since I let out a guttural woop on perfect sparkling groomer cord, wall to wall ribbon candy turns to high speed boulevard runouts 5 runs in a row
off piste was heinous wind packed dust on crust, did a run under the great escape quad as punishment for having so much fun:smashfrea

Edited by b0ardski

Thursday is overcast with some sun breaks.  For me the light is mostly flat and I am lazy and tired so I just do runs down mid/lower Ridge.  The snow here is groomed wide and everything is peachy with lots of hard turns.  I did Sam's once but it was NOT groomed wide so I didn't go back.  Conditions elsewhere in the resort must be pretty good but I have fatigue from riding nearly every morning and am too tired.  Out at 10:15 after 6 loops on the Basin Quad and 2 on the bunny slope.

ACK!  Tomorrow is Toyota day.

Does anybody know why they aren't grooming B-chute?

Edited by ExcelsiorTheFathead

Cold sunny Toyota Friday.  I got a couple of good early runs on the front with Russ & Tanya, then went up the Quad and tried Pend Oreille.  I got some good turns on top but it is too firm and I skidded the steep parts.   I went down Vagabond but it was also too firm.  The ride up Stella was brutally cold in the shadows so I returned to the front.  I tried mid-Ridge but it was so chewed up that I couldn't even tell if it had been groomed.   After making turns on lower Ridge I bailed and went back to my car.  The parking lot was jam-packed with Toyotas. 

Sunday is cold and busy with racing kids, racing seniors, and just about everybody else.  Cloudy on top with flat light.  I only did runs on the front but carving conditions seem to be deteriorating.  Even lower Ridge is firmer now with random crusty areas.  Much of Midway is the same.   The bunny slope had good grip except for the very bottom.  Out at 10:15.

Cool cloudy Monday.  1" of new overnight and light snow is falling.  Cloud deck is up in the higher runs and the light is flat with a little fog.  AM groomed runs have the new snow mixed in and are pretty grippy.  I did runs down Sam's and lower Ridge.  Over in the back, Cathedral was reasonably good.  Few people are at the resort today.  

Light snow and clouds on Tuesday with 1" of new.  Everything above lower Ridge has bad vis.  I went to the back but even Vagabond was pretty foggy and Cathedral was in a soup.  Around 9:30 it was so thick that the only clear run is the bunny slope so I pumped turns there until just after 10 when it filled with meddling kids.