Note to New Members ×

Schwietzer '21 masks required

b0ardski

Thursday after 5" of new on a nice day with some sun and clouds rolling about.  The new snow is great, but everything is soft.  I found the best carves on upper Cathedral but more days of grooming are needed.  B-chute and some other stuff on the Triple has been groomed for the first time in many days.   I left around 10:45 with a full parking lot.  Many people came up today.

got to make a run w/ Dane on abracadabra, not very firm but the groom was smooth. Dane ripped it up then headed for the backside, I lapped ch4 a few times tracking up 6" of fresh untracked creamcheese, the sketch underneath if I edged too much didn't bother the Thirst BX at all, very happy turns:cool:

Edited by b0ardski

Friday with a further 3" of new, but I got stuck in the longest line of cars driving up that I've seen yet this season.  You would think that it was a bluebird day after a foot of new.   All these people for 3 inches?  I happened to meet up with Dane and got a couple runs from the Basin lift.  Sam's was good, mid-Ridge bumpy, lower Ridge is relatively firm and ok.  We went up the Quad and did multiple runs down Cathedral which was firm enough for good carving except in a few loose places.  The line at Stella was starting to get annoying after 10:15 or so and I left not long after.  Parking lot is jam packed.

Sunday with 1/2" of new.  Lots of racers and families.  I get in line for the Quad early and go down Divide in some clouds and light snow.  Vagabond is tight and smooth.  I think I got first chair on Stella and started doing laps on Cathedral.  It is snowing more heavily now and there is some fog.  Despite the bad vis the run was groomed edge-to-edge and was quite good.  I stayed on it until 10:15 when the lift line was getting bad.  By the time I get back to my car it is snowing quite a bit and there is at least an inch of new since I arrived.  Temps are just below freezing.  Looks like a possibility of rain tomorrow.  Please, not more rain.   Please?

Monday with variable new snow up to 2".  It rained last night down at the bottom of Stella.  Dane and I got good turns on Jack's, B-Chute, Lower Ridge, Pond Oreille, Vagabond, Lower K, Cathedral and G-3.  Everything below the Cedar Park load was rained on.  Cathedral had 2" of new over groom on top with good carving.  The middle flat area was firmer with only a little new and more rain.  The bottom runout was firmy firm thoroughly rained-on bare corduroy.  Weather was pretty good with periods of clear direct sun.   We dodged the bullet with only a small part of the resort getting rained on.  More snow in the forecast tonight assuming temps stay low enough.

Mostly cloudy Wednesday.  It feels a little breezy and cool.  I'm pretty sure that there was a small amount of rain on the entire mountain during late Monday afternoon.  I didn't come up on Tuesday morning, but heard that there was much crunchiness.  Tuesday into this morning brought 5" of new snow so things aren't bad.  Midway and bunny slope were pretty decent with only a tinge of crust down below.   Vagabond was good down to the lower part, then everything below the Cedar Park load to Stella was pretty firm, a condition left over from the Sunday night rain.    The top of Cathedral was excellent with crunchiness appearing from the middle part of the run.  More snow is forecast for Thursday night.

Thursday and cloudy again with no new, but things are strangely firm even though temps have been cool.  Bunny slope, Midway and Vagabond are pretty good but Lower K and Cathedral are too firm.  Not sure why this is the case.  Also not sure how the high-altitude groomers are because of bad vis in recent days.  It was snowing lightly by 11 AM and we are supposed to get significant new snow by morning.   The T-Bar did not operate today because of a SHORTAGE OF STAFF.   WHAAAA?

spacer.png

It'll be parked near the lift at Schweitzer this morning for the encore, 5in. of fresh pow on perfect groomers will be a great finale for my worn out thighs, TGIF hope to see some MCC stragglers at the swizz, will be happy to guide you to the best zones,.

I'll be at the clocktower/basin chair in the village at opening bell at 9am, it'll be a zoo full of powanimals so get here early!!

and remember, you'll have to be looking over your shoulder again:smashfrea

Edited by b0ardski

Friday has 5" of new and tons of people are up here early.  Cloudy and breezy with temps not far below freezing.  Dane, Troy and I hung around the clock until 9 but didn't see any MCC people.  One run down Midway was soft but carveable.  Dane and I went to the AM groomed Vagabond and Cathedral which offered some of the only soft carving.  All the PM groomed runs were wrecked with piles of new snow.  I stayed until 11 but there are way too many people.  Weather forecast for next week shows single-digit and even subzero temps.

Sunday is mostly sunny and cold with 5" of new that fell during the day yesterday.  At 8AM there are many cars driving up.  I have to wait in long lines at open to get up the bunny slope and the Quad.  I head straight for Cathedral to get away from people, and it is groomed perfectly but carves somewhat soft.  PM groomed Zip Down has windblown snow obscuring the cord and random piles of thicker snow that make carving unpredictable.  I get a few runs and return to the front but the lift lines there are too much for me.  I drove out at 10:15.  Nobody scanned me today so I think this is day 4 without a scan.  Conditions for the next few days should be excellent but it will be super freaking cold.  I have to go buy some hand warmers. 

Monday morning is pretty cold so I wait until 11 to get on the hill.  I meet up with Dane and we take a ride with Thirst Mark and his daughter. Cathedral is pretty good.  PDO was good except I didn't do well on the lower steep part.  Grooming on B-Chute is weird on the far left with a deep ridge on the first cat pass on that side.  I think they need to offset their passes to even things out.  Snow on the mountain is good in general but was still a little soft. 

The forecast for Tuesday thru Friday calls for single digit temps or worse.  It is really unlikely that I will be up for first chairs unless there is so much sun that I think I can tolerate the cold.

Tuesday has bright sunshine but it is cold.  Around open it is +4 in the village and -4 on top.  I wait until nearly 11 before I get on snow and it is a few degrees warmer.  The snow is dry and getting more firmly packed down with each successive day of grooming.  It is grippy and smooth.  Just about every run is good.  Most all of the local carving crew was out today.

1 hour ago, ExcelsiorTheFathead said:

Tuesday has bright sunshine but it is cold.  Around open it is +4 in the village and -4 on top.  I wait until nearly 11 before I get on snow and it is a few degrees warmer.  The snow is dry and getting more firmly packed down with each successive day of grooming.  It is grippy and smooth.  Just about every run is good.  Most all of the local carving crew was out today.

It was still pretty good at 11 but you should’ve been there at nine when it was really good.

Edited by kram
Forgot my text

Wednesday is sunny and single digit cold again.  I've been able to tolerate it by cranking up my boot heaters and putting Boot Gloves on the outside, and by using hand warmers in my gloves.  I went up earlier and was on snow at 9.  I only rode the front until 10:20 but things were pretty good.  B-Chute was a little firmer than hero and mid-Ridge had some icy chunkification.  Pend Oreille was dreamy.  Even fewer people than yesterday.  Tomorrow might have lower temps and moderate winds so I'll likely stay home.

Tuesday.  Cloudy and a little windy.  After a few days of intolerable cold and wind, we have 4" of new that fell during the day yesterday.  Temperatures today are more reasonable but I still felt pretty chilly.  I'm riding my Oxess skwal for the first time this season; up to now I have been riding the Coiler skwal.   The Oxess has a longer radius and needs to go faster.  I found pretty quickly that my binding set-up needs some adjustment as I am having trouble pressuring the edge on heelside.

Good runs were made on Lower K and Cathedral even though the light was flat and clouds were going in and out.  Just after 10 AM a small lift line appeared at Stella which was surprising because it is a weekday.  I went back to my car to find the parking lot full.  Lots of people will come out for anything even vaguely resembling a powder day.