Note to New Members ×

Schwietzer '21 masks required

b0ardski

Tuesday had thick clouds that socked in the whole resort except for the runs on top of the triple.  By the time it cleared up it was already noon so I stayed home. 

Wednesday is a beautiful sunny day but finding good snow was difficult.  Just about everywhere was a bit too firm at open except for Down the Hatch which was somehow good.  Lower K and Cathedral were challenging.  Mark got some good turns in but it was work.  I was too lazy and don't have the chops for these conditions.  We stopped for awhile at the Outback to sit around and BS with Troy who still has knee issues.  Around 11:20 we went back down Cathedral hoping that it was in some kind of sweet spot but it was still firm underneath a layer of sluffed-off frozen chunks.  I went to the front but the snow looked well on the way to slush so I called it a day.  Some video was shot today, so we'll see if anything comes of it.

Thursday is sunny with morning temps around freezing.  Dane had Intec problems when we got to the top of the Triple at open.  I did a run down Jack's but it was already too soft with icy chunks.  I went to the back and found Lower K to be a bit too firm.  The top of Cathedral was excellent but the rest of it was meh.   Dane came back out after swapping bindings and we tried Loophole but it was pretty soft.

I think that today is the one year anniversary of Schweitzer closing early last season.  Still open so far.

The Gateway parking lot I use is a super mud pit.  Does anybody know if the lower lot is less muddy?

Edited by ExcelsiorTheFathead

Friday is weird.  It rained a little last night, then it cooled further and turned to snow.  At open it is snowing lightly with village temps around 33 and colder up higher.  The bunny slope had good grip.  Dane, Mark and I went to Loophole just in front of the local race kids and found a perfectly groomed but firmy-firm washboard.  I think I burned a new hole in my pants.  Next we hit Cathedral which was AM groomed and found it firm but somewhat doable, which meant that Mark could do it, but Dane and I mostly skidded.  The tops of the runs were firmer and the bottoms starting to soften up.  Zip Down was firmer still because of the PM grooming, and Springboard was just an awful mess despite being groomed.  I left early but the other guys tried Lower K which I heard was also way firm.  Cooler temps and snow is in the forecast for the next several days. 

Here's a good tour of Schweitzer on a firm sunny day.

Just for the heck of it, here are some notes:

Start:  Great Escape Quad with Pend Oreille to the left.

1:30  Looking down the Great Divide at Lake Pend Oreille

1:48  Down The Hatch then cat track to Vagabond.

3:10  Top of Vagabond.

3:20  Glimpse of the Triple on the left, then going down the wide part of Vagabond.

4:30   Lower Kaniksu alongside the Cedar Park chair.

8:33   Cathedral Aisle  alongside Stella chair.

11:05  Riding the Stella 6-pack.

11:24  Top of Zip Down

11:51  Zip Down main section

13:05  Leaving the top of Stella for Vagabond.

16:31   Cedar Park lower terminal

16:50  Lower Kaniksu again

19:20  Going up the Colburn Triple

All the riding in this video happened on back side runs.  There are many good groomers on the front side.

Edited by ExcelsiorTheFathead
  • Like 5

Art, you're spoiled. I'm on a five year old wet noodle BX and had a skier stop and say "beautiful carves":1luvu:

it was fun to make runs with Hazen, Chouinard and son, and Mr. Thirst and daughter; wish my knee could've lasted all day.

will be up early tomorrow in the RV, Becki's gonna try out the new knee🙏

• Like 2

Tuesday is sunny after at least 7" of new.  Everything everywhere is a bit soft except the bottom of the Stella area which must have been warm enough for thaw-freeze.  Some good turns were made in some places but it was really nice to just be out in the sun.  I left just after 11 and the parking lot had filled up.

Welcome to Dave!

Wednesday at open it is snowing and windy with thaw-freeze and firm snow in the lower elevations.  Excellent grippy snow was found on Cathedral, and the upper parts of Zip Down and Lower K were also good.  Lots of good turns made despite the poor weather and vis.  Very few people at the resort today.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 10:44 PM, 7B Stoke said:

Hey guys, I found ya! Might go Saturday morning with Mark M. We're in the process of getting spousal approval 😄 Hoping to get some vid for his website if the conditions are friendly.

-Dave

welcome to ASB Dave, may the carve be with you!

I'd love join you guys but sun-fri for me

• Like 1

Thursday is softish everywhere after a couple inches of new that fell yesterday.  Just me and Dane but we managed to ride with Mark when he was on break.  Stella runs were a good time but they were a bit soft and getting cut up.  I rode until 11 then the line at Stella filled up with powderhounds.  When I drove out the lot was almost full.

• Like 1

Friday is cloudy in the morning with a few hints of sun.  The snow is pretty good despite the 45 degree village temperatures of yesterday afternoon.  For some reason the snow is pretty grippy instead of firm.  Dane and I made several runs with Mr. Thirsty & Co and we wore ourselves out carving hard.

The mask mandate for the Idaho Panhandle has been rescinded as of yesterday so lifties are now maskless and I suspect that most of the patrons will be as well.

• Like 2

Sunday is cloudy and windy as a storm makes its way in.  The parking lot is a mud bog right from the start so I was hoping that the snow would be soft but I was WRONG.  The bunny slope was fine but Lower K was too firm.   Cathedral was too firm up top but kinda ok from the middle.  Around 10:15 we went to the front but everything there was still too firm except for the bunny slope. 

Tuesday.  From the talk on the hill, Monday must have been Firmed-up Beyond All Recognition.  I'm pretty sure that it rained on Sunday evening from mid-mountain on down.  The snow on the very tops of the resort isn't bad but the Lakeview Triple is broken today.  Most of the runs we tried were too firm so it was hard to have fun.  When I left at 11 the front-side runs were starting to soften up in the sun.  Much of the morning was breezy and kinda cold.

• Like 1

Well I thought it was an incredible day to carve, rode the Thirst tesi8 all day.  Took a few runs with Kram, Dane, Pusbag & wife.  Snow was very firm to hard, it would take all the pressure you could give it until your legs collapsed under the G's.  Rode, Lower K, Cathedral, Midway, Lil blue, Zip Down, Down the hatch and Loophole..few other runs getting from one place to the other as well as a few duplicates.  Not many people on the hill either.  Stayed until 2:15.  Hope Thursday is another day like today.

• Like 1