Note to New Members ×

Monoskis are cool again?

charliechocolate

May just be Nidecker hopping on the retro/nostalgia is cool bandwagon but I saw this on the 2021 catalogue

cap.png

Looking closely, it even says "titanal plate," whatever that means.

Any reason you can't turn a monoski into a snowboard or why that would be a bad idea? I've seen threads (and BlueB's homebrew frankenstein plate) for turning snowboards into monoskis. I guess you can't just stick regular snowboard binding inserts into a plank.

I haven't skied since I was a child and was never good enough to rock a monoski, but when I see people use them, it looks like they combine the bad points of skiing and snowboarding without much benefit. Am I wrong about that? 

Having said that, I have deep respect for anyone that can tear it up on a monoski - it looks hard!

• Like 2

Didn't see that coming. Duret has kept making them all along. Faction produced one with an early rise a few years ago and is coming back with a couple lengths. There's less point to them with rockered skis today but they are fun in moguls. The movement is more like paddling a whitewater kayak than skiing to me. Carving is doable but you have to lift the opposite edge as you roll onto the outside of your foot.

Oldies like Tua (before they made telemark skis) and Rossignol had a huge taper and no sidecut at all. Reminds me of the Avalanche ironing boards somehow.

Aluflex has a cool one: 

aluflex.jpg.75dd76ef123e9f10ac271e1bd64a956c.jpg

12 hours ago, Dan said:

I haven't skied since I was a child and was never good enough to rock a monoski, but when I see people use them, it looks like they combine the bad points of skiing and snowboarding without much benefit. Am I wrong about that? 

Having said that, I have deep respect for anyone that can tear it up on a monoski - it looks hard!

When I used to work as a patroller at a small North Carolina mountain I got bored, so I started to monoski.

Monoski's combine perfectly all the disadvantages of snowboarding with all the disadvantages of skiing, without any of the advantages of either 😉

But it was a challenge to try to master it anyway.

• Like 1

Agree with Corran and Dan on their assessment of monoskiing 😁. Only in powder it was OK, on piste it never felt right.

But monoskiing seems to get a bit more attention. Somebody even bought our Rossi 80's monoski two months ago!

Also still have a Swingbo, but I guess the only way to make that hot again is to set it on fire....

Edited by TimW
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Corran said:

When I used to work as a patroller at a small North Carolina mountain I got bored, so I started to monoski.

Monoski's combine perfectly all the disadvantages of snowboarding with all the disadvantages of skiing, without any of the advantages of either 😉

But it was a challenge to try to master it anyway.

Without the advantages of either ??? I have ridden the Mono since 2004. 2nd, 3rd and 4th runs, (ever),were on black runs, double blacks on subsequent runs.  I feel it COMBINES the best of both worlds. The advantage of a board, the advantage of facing forward, the advantage of poles, the advantage of not having to clip in & out and the advantage of a releasable binding.

I can leave quite a trench when on a carving board. I have 10M to 18M carving boards, Both manufactured Mono and Alpine boards mounted Mono. I have a Donek AF plate with side x side 4 X 4 inserts for Bomber skiboard bindings so I can ride any Alpine board as a Mono. i've been riding with the "LCI" for the last 9 or 10 years and I can almost match them turn for turn. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BlueB said:

Alpine board mounted as a monoski still carves great: 

post-1678-141842343762.jpg

I've never tried a real monoski, though... Some that I see at Cypress have too much of pintail design and not enough sidecut. 

BlueB Are you coming to Montucky ? I'll have a few "real"Mono's with side cut that you could try. I have 1 that has a 14M sidecut that has bail bindings and would accommodate an Alpine boot. I'll also have a Custom Donek AF Plate with Bomber skiboard bail bindings that you could mount on any of your Alpine boards to ride them Mono style. 

On 2/5/2020 at 8:23 PM, BlueB said:

Alpine board mounted as a monoski still carves great: 

post-1678-141842343762.jpg

I've never tried a real monoski, though... Some that I see at Cypress have too much of pintail design and not enough sidecut. 

Just that pic almost makes me want to try it again(but then on an alpine board).

Edited by TimW