Note to New Members ×

Intec wiggle question

gawdzira

I am setting up my new(ish) gear. I got these TD3's slightly used but in very good shape. The boots are new but the Intec heels are old (2003 +/-). Is too much wiggling? Time for new heels? I compared it to my old Cateks and there is also wiggling but slightly less. I could mount up the other bindings I just bought which are F2 and check but I suspect it will be similar.

Why did I just buy two new pairs of bindings you might ask? Never mind, you know why.

Link to movie:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1s7l8wv1ri40l9k/intec%20movie.mp4?dl=0

Edited by gawdzira

I think the wings are just to guide the heel into the receiver.  You don't want to be resting on them, especially not the plastic ones on Intec heels.

I just checked my heels for fit.  They're also older, but probably not as old as yours.  It's hard to judge, but yours do seem to have a little more wiggle.  In your video, how much of the play do you think comes from the pins moving around within the bushings in the heel?  If your Intec cable is original from 2003 as well, that could go at any time so investing in new heels with new cables might be a good investment

Also, thank you, thank you, thank you.  In checking mine, I discovered that several bolts holding my heels to the boots had loosened up a lot.  That resulted in a lot of wiggle!

Those are TD3 Sidewinders. They have lateral flex built in. It's not a bug, it's a feature!

Your Intec heels are fine, if you've ordered Fintecs they will also be fine and interchangeable.

Checking your release cables is always a good idea before any extended period of riding. You don't want to have a cable failure and be unable to easily release your boot.

6 hours ago, Wolf said:

I think the wings are just to guide the heel into the receiver.  You don't want to be resting on them, especially not the plastic ones on Intec heels.

Might be mistaken, but I believe the wings/pins are there to create a secure wedge fit between the receiver and front bail, while the retention pins maintain that relationship.

The retention pins themselves shouldn't bear much weight.

15 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

Might be mistaken, but I believe the wings/pins are there to create a secure wedge fit between the receiver and front bail, while the retention pins maintain that relationship.

Absolutely this.  It's a three-point system*.  As the pins/wings slide down the ramp on the front of the heel receiver, they push the toe forwards.  In theory, the toe bail gets tight just before the retractable pins pop out into the holes.  This generates some preload that reduces slop.  Keep in mind that this is a plastic boot with a squishy rubber sole, so it's not perfect.  

I had the plastic sleeves in my Fintec heels split and fail.  That led to funky things as the pins could move up and down.  I had to loosen the toe bail slightly to allow the pins to engage consistently, at least until I figured it out!  

* Pedantic note: It's three points as viewed from the side.  The assumption is that left and right sides work the same, giving a toe pad, toe bail, 2 stationary pins, and 2 retractable pins, all in various states of preload.  

17 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

When using Fintecs with old aluminum receivers a divot is quickly (and deeply) made in short order.  The axis of the divot is up/down.  That says to me there is some weight bearing on the pins.  Could it be the opposite: the wings/pins bear the weight and the retention pins just "retain"? 

On 1/12/2020 at 10:22 PM, Beckmann AG said:

This is correct. Also the daylight under the heel is intentional, to allow snow to escape. 

On 1/13/2020 at 9:03 PM, Corey said:

I had the plastic sleeves in my Fintec heels split and fail.  That led to funky things as the pins could move up and down.  I had to loosen the toe bail slightly to allow the pins to engage consistently, at least until I figured it out! 

I had same issue, and switched those flimsy plastic ones to metallic, and they last much longer, and since no worries.