Note to New Members ×

Worlds TV coverage -

David Kirk

I watched the PGS from Utah last night on NBCSN and there was some good racing despite the soft conditions. That was the upside.....

The down side IMHO was the commentary. The two gents covering it knew little to nothing about Alpine equipment or how it is used. They said things like "the boards are crazy long....like 168cm!!" and that "a normal snowboard is about 10" wide but these racing boards are only 5" wide!" I guess they think the racers are using short Skwals! Since the snow was soft ruts were forming and one of the guys said the ruts would be 3 feet deep by the time it was over.....3 feet deep? Maybe that's why it looks like they are getting so low in the turns....it's not that they are getting low but they are in a 3 foot deep hole.

It was almost tempting to turn the sound off to watch. By the end of that 1.5 hrs of coverage they were better and seemed to stop freaking out about the boards (and how little they knew about them) and instead focused on the racing.

Today they are showing parallel slalom and I hope for the athletes that the snow is firmer and I look forward to them doing their thing.

dave

• Sad 3

11 hours ago, David Kirk said:

"a normal snowboard is about 10" wide but these racing boards are only 5" wide!"

one of the guys said the ruts would be 3 feet deep by the time it was over.....3 feet deep? Maybe that's why it looks like they are getting so low in the turns....it's not that they are getting low but they are in a 3 foot deep hole.

spitter.png

• LOL 1

You're lucky you got to watch it at all! Here in Europe, it is literally blocked in most countries outside of Austria ORF Sport.

We had to watch it on some Polish channel (after me searching more than 30min) on a TV app for the PGS.

And the slalom, Lukasz gave us a Russian TV link. Thanks again Lukasz!

Pretty amazing racing!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lonbordin said:

- No cover over the starting gates.

- Massive imbalance red v. blue finishes

- Course fully deteriorated

- Poor visibility

I can see why a lot of veterans finished early!

It is so very odd to me that it's a one-and-out format. I would think that either it should be set up so that each rider makes a run on both courses with the times added together or that everyone runs on one course and you bail on the "parallel" part of PGS.

It was also interesting that the slalom was just a tighter version of the GS.....no change in rhythm, no flushes, no straight simple zero off-set slalom gates.....just off-set gates with the same spacing from start to finish.

I don't get it and watching it made it all too obvious why it's not a big sport in the states.

dave

• Like 1