Note to New Members ×

60/60 to 50/50

1xsculler

C'mon @1xsculler... have someone take some phone shaky cam footage of you. Put it on YouTube and let us see.  You can take it right down after.  These contributors are trying so hard to make a good guess... but that's really impossible without data.  Your setup could be perfect for you at 50/50 or maybe it's complete rubbish.  All I know is people are making guesses at this point... 

Good luck.

Mahalo- Dave

4 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

You should try some splay

I agree with Neil........ running same angles F/R hurts my knees!  :smashfrea

3 hours ago, daveo said:

I like 60/55

Dave........like your thinking!   That's my numbers for hard charging on the K168 :biggthump

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barryj said:

I agree with Neil........ running same angles F/R hurts my knees!  :smashfrea

Dave........like your thinking!   That's my numbers for hard charging on the K168 :biggthump

I reckon because I walk naturally a little duckfooted I like that bit of splay. If I were more of a regular human maybe I'd like parallel. 

But yeah 60/55 feels great! 

Edited by daveo

@Beckmann AG runs his backfoot a little bit more than his front no? If I recall.

Personally I find 57/57  or even 57/58 is comfortable, because my back leg has some peculiar issues that with this and a bit of cuff-canting help eliminate. Recently  I found shell-fitting on the board is great, meaning I take out the liners, strap the boots onto board, step into boot and get into my "norm", and then I look at the space on all sides of my lower leg, my back has uneven distribution so I added a little bit more cuff-canting and now it's completely left and right.

But playing with these things often and finding out about what works and doesn't work for your body is a part of the process, as I'm finding out recently..... The recommended stance is only a guideline or a place to start.

• LOL 1

16 hours ago, lonbordin said:

C'mon @1xsculler... have someone take some phone shaky cam footage of you. Put it on YouTube and let us see.  You can take it right down after.  These contributors are trying so hard to make a good guess... but that's really impossible without data.  Your setup could be perfect for you at 50/50 or maybe it's complete rubbish.  All I know is people are making guesses at this point... 

Good luck.

Mahalo- Dave

Dave, When I can actually link a few non-skidded turns, as I could in the early 2000s, I will certainly post a vid.

As I remember from back then, going from skidded turns to linking up a few non-skidded turns was similar to learning to ride a bicycle or a unicycle, i.e. you try and try and try again and all of a sudden, EUREKA, you get it. You’ve  learned the trick.  You are not all of a sudden an excellent bicycle or unicycle rider or great at linking non-skidded turns but you can do it where five minutes before you couldn’t.  I think I was riding in my Soloman SX-91 ski boots, Burton Race Plates and on a 175 blue Rossi  I am threatening myself to try to replicate that setup with my Coiler 176 AM, Cateks and my SX-91s which I still love for skiing  

I will work for two hours again today, weather permitting, and Friday and when I just barely learn the trick I will post a vid and that is when phase two of my quest for the “Gs” will take off. There is no point in posting a vid of the skidded turn which anybody can do. I remember what it feels like and it’s black and white. You either do it or you suck and I am really getting tired of driving two hours up, skidding (sucking) for two hours and driving back down for two hours all by myself with little to show for it. Don’t get me wrong, my worst day on the Mt is better than my best day in the office and every one of my ten Mt days has been wonderful this season, sucking and all. Like Bruce told me you just have to get really, really pissed off at yourself and I am getting more and more pissed...close to rage!!!

Ok, I must calm down and get over it before my Afib, detected by my Apple Watch 4, confirmed by a 24 hr ECG, causes me to stroke out over it. 

LOL...the truth!

• LOL 1

9 hours ago, pauleleven said:

@Beckmann AG runs his backfoot a little bit more than his front no? If I recall.

And I have a known deviation in the tracking of my left knee that 'requires' a toe-in stance.

I would not suggest anyone else do as I do, unless they are in a similar situation.

Most trend toward slight splay, but that doesn't mean other options are incorrect; only odd.

Preferred stance angle is a derivation of bone structure, foot support, riding philosophy, and sycophancy.

If 1x is feeling a positive difference at parallel 50, he should explore that stance until he finds the practical limits as fit his goals.

Edited by Beckmann AG
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

1xsculler, I think you could really benefit from some instruction.  Are you planning to go to the event in Montana?  There are a bunch of guys there that could put you on the right path.

No question about it and I am hoping to meet up with the only really good carver I have seen here at Crystal on Friday. I know it would make a world of difference and get me over the hump and on to phase two. 

With all of my ranting in my previous post I actually had a very good run on Quicksilver...May have linked a couple of non-skidded. 

Crystal as been so awesome the past three days it might even be considered a destination carver’s resort...great groomers  and no people. 

Nice!  Sounded like you are dialing in the setup!
Regardless your current riding level; sometime a single pointer can change fundamentally on how you ride.
Video is a great way to do that.

I had an aha moment when I find there is "additional gear" when it comes to angulation, rotation, compression which totally change my riding. 

7 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

When I can actually link a few non-skidded turns, as I could in the early 2000s, I will certainly post a vid....There is no point in posting a vid of the skidded turn which anybody can do.... and I am getting more and more pissed...close to rage!!! 

It's been how many years since your come-back to the sport...3 years? And you are still trying to find the right stance and struggling to link few basic carved turns??? Sounds like you really could use some help... 

I'm not exactly around the corner from you, but but it still could be made into a day trip. Would you like to come to Cypress for a half day private? We can meet earlier for a free setup clinic and still ride together after the lesson, if we still had any legs left... 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, BlueB said:

I'm not exactly around the corner from you, but but it still could be made into a day trip. Would you like to come to Cypress for a half day private? We can meet earlier for a free setup clinic and still ride together after the lesson, if we still had any legs left... 

That trip would be well worth your while, 1xsculler.  I think you should take Boris up on his offer.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Buell said:

I have found at least 10 of those

Love to hear about them.  After a long long time; the tech article finally start to make sense.
All the lessons/advices are slowly reveling their secret.  Better late than never.
Look forward to see what mile stones awaits me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlueB said:

It's been how many years since your come-back to the sport...3 years? And you are still trying to find the right stance and struggling to link few basic carved turns??? Sounds like you really could use some help... 

Thanks for your generous offer, BlueB, but I am stuck here at Crystal. The I-5 shuffle North to Cypress is out of the question. 

If I can make a few runs with Kirk March this Friday, or sometime soon, I will advance rapidly I am sure. 

• Sad 1