Note to New Members ×

How to get down low?

1xsculler

2 hours ago, pokkis said:

I recommend look for Bison Liquid Rubber, it will solve your problem.

That's a surprisingly expensive product in North America!  Hopefully there's a similar product available without large import costs. 

How is the Bison product different from Shoe Goo or similar?  

5 hours ago, st_lupo said:

@pow4ever:  I just tell people that if they aren’t falling, they aren’t trying hard enough! 🙂

Exactly; @workshop7 also mention it.  "If you are not falling/wiping out.  You are not learning."  According to that logic I should be pretty damn good but here we are lol... 
On a more serious note:  Learning with purpose is important.  Making the same mistake 20-30 times over and over just reinforce bad technique.  Ability to notice what's wrong/not working and how to correct such defect is the difficult part for me.  It's a skill that I am slow to pick up.

5 hours ago, pokkis said:

I recommend look for Bison Liquid Rubber, it will solve your problem.

Thank you!  will see if I can get my hand on some.  Checking amazon/USA; 24 dollars for 50ml.
Cheaper than new pant I guess hahaha...

On 1/2/2019 at 9:36 PM, dredman said:

Seems like every year I have to re-learn all of those things...perishable skills.

11 hours ago, st_lupo said:

at the start of every season I have to re-learn alot of technique until I stop loosing my edges

So glad to hear I am not the only one!  This season it took me about 8 days to get to where I think where I was last year.
What help me is to start writing a "journal".
Dear diary:  my board spank me hard today.  I think I like it.  Boy am I going to be sore tomorrow 😜

• LOL 4

I just re-read all of these posts and I want to thank each and every one of you who took the time to offer personal advice to an aspiring carver and especially to Ron for chiming in on our Solitude encounter. 

I banged out 2 hr sessions Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and will repeat tomorrow, Friday. Honestly, that’s about all my quads can manage.

Thanks again...much appreciated!

• Like 1

I just read the thread and didn't see anyone post.....you have to physically be able to get low, your setup has to allow you to physically get low, just as Mario said, think low, let me add.... be able to make your body, balanced, get low, if your Body can't because your setup won't allow your body to articulate.

Personally, I think about getting my tailbone as close to the ground as possible on back-rear edge turns and my bellybutton on front edge turns.

(Subconsciously I push my ankles to the ground)

While not putting any weight on the snow.

• Like 1

Made good progress on Friday on my Kessler 168, in part because I found another carver to ride with and Quicksilver had some perfectly groomed pitches. Hunting out the well groomed pitches of a run can make such a huge difference for a wannabe like me. My carving buddy may join me again next Friday and we’ll plan on some vids. 

I hope to get up Monday, Wednesday and Friday next week if conditions look good. 

Can you squat down low just standing there?

if you can, you can get low while riding. 

This is fun: pick apart the run, looking for interesting banks and angles. Stop and set yourself up for one-off turns, instead of riding top to bottom. Take the time to feel what you’re doing.

If you don’t have interesting terrain, try uphill turns. Make sure you don’t look where you’re going at all. 

Then, there’s the timeless ask, made previously by Beckmann; Video, please. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rob Stevens said:

This is fun: pick apart the run, looking for interesting banks and angles. Stop and set yourself up for one-off turns, instead of riding top to bottom. Take the time to feel what you’re doing.

If you don’t have interesting terrain, try uphill turns.

play with the terrain

• Like 1