Note to New Members ×

Vail gets bigger.

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:11 AM, JohnE said:

I hope they don't buy Loveland. I like that all of the EPIC pass holders drive right by Loveland on their way to Summit County. 

SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Actually, I think the secrets out on the few and far between pow days we have been getting

On June 7, 2018 at 9:11 AM, JohnE said:

I hope they don't buy Loveland. I like that all of the EPIC pass holders drive right by Loveland on their way to Summit County. 

I guess I am the one Epic pass buyer who doesn't drive past?

I agree with you - I hope Vail has no interest.  Seems unlikely given that there is no fake "euro village" to exploit.   All respect to those in real euro villages, of course.

There's certainly there's some good that comes with the bad.

Here at our precious little bump, Afton Alps, the Vail take-over has led to many much-need improvements. The small, mom-and-pop feel is all but gone, though that has been happening for years. The days of $24 lifties is a distant memory. Ditto with $6 a burger.

The snow making is better, the facilities have been updated, grooming has improved, and lots more. Personally, I'd rather pay $13 for a rather decent burger and fries, that half that for the garbage that once was being served.

I used to LOVE skiing at Vail. However, in recent years I have boarded there a few times and I've grown to hate it. Lots of entitled tourists, crowds, expensive parking, just some feeling of always being watched to ensure that you do things their way. Don't need the "improvements". One thing that I love about Loveland is that it has changed relatively little since I started skiing there 50 years ago. Still feels like home. 

On 6/4/2018 at 10:26 PM, SunSurfer said:

Pat Moore will be gutted. Probably means no more NASTAR at Okemo.

Too early to know for sure but in all of Vail's recent acquisitions NASTAR is still in place.

image.png.cdbe42ff23bf4e170b220697b6393672.png

NASTAR has operated continuously at Okemo for 44 years.  I'm cautiously optimistic it will continue.

Interesting side note:  Jim Remy, Okemo's Director of Golf, was the first NASTAR pacesetter at Okemo in 1974.  In 2010, he was President of the PGA of America and President of the Ryder Cup.  Three years ago he got back into ski racing and is once again very fast!

Edited by patmoore