Note to New Members ×

Burton Step On

Corran

Burtons Step on is a great idea, but falls short on many fronts. Without even getting them on the snow I identified two alarming design shortfalls (and one thats just inconvenient) that you'd thing they'd have seen themselves in testing (we assume it was tested). However these are modifications that can be done by yourself. I'll post pix as I get to them.

One of these (though not a critical aspect for the system to work) is the release mechanism, requiring you to bend over and grab your ankles like a prison inmate every time you want to get out. So I made a modification that releases the system with barely having to bend over. Tolerances for cord length and pipe length are relatively critical, but its easy enough to do. 

28619018_10157157055109128_4797362482330250006_o.jpg

• Like 2

The principle design flaw is that the heel lock is on the high back and not the base plate. This allows the boot to flex it forward on toe turns. Combined with this is that the foam under the toes is soft and compressses. 

The combined effct is a forward and down movement of the toes of more than half an inch total travel. This allows the toe locking mechanism to move out of the ideal locking range and it pops out in the next heel side turn. 

It's a major design flaw and before my wife even had hers on the snow I'd identified it on the living room floor. She's  not riding aggressively so it's not a major deal but even so I replaced the foam under the toes with hard plastic and have locked the high back to the base plate. Sucks for transport but it's necessary if you want your feet to stay in the bindings and not have half an inch of boot travel each turn. 

As usual from Burton, slick looking but non functional. They can't possibly have actually tested this before coming to market. I'd bet it went straight from cad to production. Some of the design mistakes are so painfully  obvious. 

17 hours ago, barryj said:

Almost exactly!   Yours is much more finished though.    Mine was held on with zip ties but  It worked great...but I  returned my Step On's or I would of made it more permanent. 

permanpermanent.image.png.f9fbc1fc207fdbe29639aed77830032f.png

.image.png.047f4b6c0195229f7bbd4daccdaf712c.png

I just got the Moss wing swallow... Ups managed to loose it so I have not had it for this last dump. Boooo 

This is the email I sent burton

Hi. Please forward this onto your RnD department.

I recently got a pair of step on for my wife. First key me congratulate you on taking the time to develop a new step in system... Something which as traditionally a hard booter had kept me away from soft boot riding. As usual from Burton the product is slick and refined. 

I'm afraid however that this is where the compliments end. 

There are two major design flaws in the design,  both of which compound into one large problem beyond the smaller effects of the two independent issues. 

The alarming first issues i identified on the living room floor... It wasn't even necessary to take them on the snow. 

The first problem is that the heel locking system is in the high back and not the base plate. With toe pressure (toe side edging) the boot pulls the high back forward 10 to 15 degrees (as much as half an inch). This on its own is irritating on toe side turns but it also allows the toe locking mechanism to move forward and out of the ideal locking position.

The second problem is the base plate foam under the boot is soft. This allows the toe to travel downwards up to a quarter inch with just light pressure. With some force 3/8 inch is possible. This also clearly is going to affect performance. I replaced the foam with hard plastic. 

However the main issue that I forsaw (again this is just looking at the system in the living room)  is that the combined effect moves the toe locking system out of the ideal locking range. I predicted the result of this would be the toe system releasing on a heel side turn after a toe side turn. A brief internet search confirmed exactly that with scores of complaints online of the system releasing on heel side turns.

The design flaw was instantly obvious. How this made it past your testing (was it even tested or went straight from concept to production) is baffling.

You need to fix this. Someone is going to get seriously hurt when one foot only releases from a binding at high speed or on a dangerous slope. 

Once more, hats off for the attempt, but execution unfortunately is a failure.

There are also other less important design flaws that should be addressed but these two above are the important ones. 

I hope this email is taken in the positive spirit with which it is intended (Im a designer for a living) and that you can rectify this great concept.

Sincerely

Corran addison

I stated in another thread how I had issues and sent mine back as well. Just on carpet I was able to twist my foot out. I also noticed a considerable amount of play in the toe cleats. For me I never got to experience the downward motion. I was able to observe a great deal of upward movement.  I assume this is due to different toe cleat locations on the boots to fit multiple boot sizes into one binding.  Medium bindings size 10 or 10.5 boots for me. 

I liked the original step in bindings; location for engagement was the same. Then binding was adjusted to the boot.  The boots also had a much stiffer shank/sole.  

4 hours ago, Corran said:

The principle design flaw is that the heel lock is on the high back and not the base plate. This allows the boot to flex it forward on toe turns. Combined with this is that the foam under the toes is soft and compressses. 

The combined effct is a forward and down movement of the toes of more than half an inch total travel. This allows the toe locking mechanism to move out of the ideal locking range and it pops out in the next heel side turn. 

It's a major design flaw and before my wife even had hers on the snow I'd identified it on the living room floor. She's  not riding aggressively so it's not a major deal but even so I replaced the foam under the toes with hard plastic and have locked the high back to the base plate. Sucks for transport but it's necessary if you want your feet to stay in the bindings and not have half an inch of boot travel each turn. 

As usual from Burton, slick looking but non functional. They can't possibly have actually tested this before coming to market. I'd bet it went straight from cad to production. Some of the design mistakes are so painfully  obvious. 

I thought Burton tested those bindings over several seasons. They even had Terje Haakonsen involved. At least that's what all the marketing hype said. I can't believe they would miss such a major flaw.

Maybe this is why they are not yet widely available. 

8 minutes ago, skategoat said:

I thought Burton tested those bindings over several seasons. They even had Terje Haakonsen involved. At least that's what all the marketing hype said. I can't believe they would miss such a major flaw.

Maybe this is why they are not yet widely available. 

Clearly not. Took 1 min to see they would Not work and given other reports here the problem. Is endemic 

1 minute ago, Corran said:

Clearly not. Took 1 min to see they would Not work and given other reports here the problem. Is endemic 

Do a quick Google search and check out all the test events. 

And check out this video from Burton going on and on about "no compromises" and not rushing the product to market. If the flaw is as obvious as you say, that's a major failure.

You should probably talk to Chris Cunningham at Burton who is in charge of R&D. 

6 minutes ago, skategoat said:

Do a quick Google search and check out all the test events. 

And check out this video from Burton going on and on about "no compromises" and not rushing the product to market. If the flaw is as obvious as you say, that's a major failure.

You should probably talk to Chris Cunningham at Burton who is in charge of R&D. 

Clearly compromised as a quick google search also shows countless people Having the same Problems 

7 hours ago, Corran said:

I just got the Moss wing swallow

Great to see Moss is making it coast to coast!!   Where did you pick up the Wing Swallow?    

Here's my Moss quiver :  AP67,  Wingpin 175,  PQ60 ..and a Coiler EC SS 177 for comparison of the set backs on the Moss boards.

Would have pm'd ya,  don't mean to hijack your thread......but can't send images via PM

Peace

Moss 1.jpg

Edited by barryj
  • Like 1