Note to New Members ×

60/55 vs 55/50?

1xsculler

Part of it is personal preference but I will alter my binding angles based on board width.  If the board is wider, I will lower my angles as I feel it helps me get better leverage over the board's edge. The angles you noted are very close to the range of angles I'd typically ride with.  

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, 1xsculler said:

Is there any reason/advantage to riding 60/55 if you have no toe or heel out at 55/50?

Ride the lowest possible angles without overhang. Or, with a bit of overhang in the rear for pow/frerriding. 

Underhang will make it harder to initiate and get onto the edge. Conversely, once high on the edge, it's a bit harder to get of it. I dare to say there would be a bit more edge pressure, but can not prove it. Also, it will be harder and bouncier to ride in rough conditions or moguls, with greater risk of shin bang. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BlueB said:

Also, it will be harder and bouncier to ride in rough conditions or moguls, with greater risk of shin bang. 

Blue B - Can you clarify this for me.   Are you saying if my angles are steeper than necessary (my 55/50 on a 23 waist)  I've got Underhang and I'm more suspect for the above mentioned ailments??   

Blue B

Yes - I've heard you and lonbordin.......and I've worked my way down from 65/60!   ........but even at my current 55/50 I find myself really twisting/squirming my feet in my boots, at the beginning of each run trying to get.... (even) more .....angle!  

I felt those ( harder and bouncier to ride in rough conditions) ailments today but attributed it to the board and my tired legs.

I'm gonna try moving down to 50/45 again.....(my knees did not like it last time!)  and see if I can notice less "ailments".  

Edited by barryj

1 hour ago, BlueB said:

Ride the lowest possible angles without overhang. Or, with a bit of overhang in the rear for pow/frerriding. 

Underhang will make it harder to initiate and get onto the edge. Conversely, once high on the edge, it's a bit harder to get of it. I dare to say there would be a bit more edge pressure, but can not prove it. Also, it will be harder and bouncier to ride in rough conditions or moguls, with greater risk of shin bang. 

How low can you go on hardboots before it's too low?

43 minutes ago, Zone said:

How low can you go on hardboots before it's too low?

There is no too low, but you need a right setup. I can ride HB "duck". Not my favorite setup, of course, but doable. Ryan Knapton demonstrated it too, in one of his videos. 

I like 45/30 a lot, it's very versatile. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, barryj said:

Blue B

Yes - I've heard you and lonbordin.......and I've worked my way down from 65/60!   ........but even at my current 55/50 I find myself really twisting/squirming my feet in my boots, at the beginning of each run trying to get.... (even) more .....angle!  

I felt those ( harder and bouncier to ride in rough conditions) ailments today but attributed it to the board and my tired legs.

I'm gonna try moving down to 50/45 again.....(my knees did not like it last time!)  and see if I can notice less "ailments".  

One of the hardboot technique trainers here in the Netherlands set up my bindings on 45/48 and 490mm apart before my holiday.

He's all about balance and zen and centering everything (including yourself) over the board.

When I joined a clinic by him last year, my first time, he set them up at 55/50 but told me the trend was now to ride in lower angles.

Idk about trends or whatever since I'm just starting out, but I do know that after some adjusting on my own part I liked the lower angles a lot.

No sore spots, no burned legs, nothing.

Was really afraid I'd get my boots in the snow by the way, but that hasn't happened... Yet.

Edited by cin

7 hours ago, barryj said:

Blue B

It is ok if you like higher angles... the answer is a narrower board. :biggthump 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, barryj said:

Ok........moved to 50/45       but the problem I see is I'm running Gilmour Bias and my rear binding is pushed forward enough that 45 gives me overhang with my 28.5 boot

I'll try to get a photo of it for it comment..........

Numbers are arbitrary... 

Here's my simplified method.

1) Use the Fuego box method for your rear binding.

2) Set your front binding to whatever splay is comfortable (same, +3, +5, +15, as long as it doesn't violate the Fuego box rule!) at whatever stance width is comfortable. (Carpet carving time)

3) Read this fantastic site and make sure, through lift, your front knee is centered on your board.

4) Ride and fiddle with cant, bias, and splay.

Fuego-test.jpg.818a3efbf0f2065d6e0598b2d2730243.jpg

Edited by lonbordin
simple... ;-)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, barryj said:

Ok........moved to 50/45       but the problem I see is I'm running Gilmour Bias and my rear binding is pushed forward enough that 45 gives me overhang with my 28.5 boot

I'll try to get a photo of it for it comment..........

A bit of rear toe overhang will not kill you, unless ECing on hard snow... For freeride/pow, it might be desirable. 

On the other hand, the front heel / rear toe bias ("G bias") is not really required, try to learn to ride without it, or at least minimal. I got rid of it over the years, and now working on Scooby, it's killing his riding (well, I actually need to get him to ride first). 

Edited by BlueB

37 minutes ago, Jack Michaud said:

Can we stop calling it that?  This simple and obvious binding adjustment was being employed by many people well before it was ever eponymously named.

I agree ^ 
I think most people accepted it as it is shorter then to say "front heel / rear toe bias"... What would be a good acronym or abbreviation? 
FHRT? Froheretoe? G-Spot bias? 

28 minutes ago, BlueB said:

I agree ^ 
I think most people accepted it as it is shorter then to say "front heel / rear toe bias"... What would be a good acronym or abbreviation? 
FHRT? Froheretoe? G-Spot bias? 

Binding bias.

21 minutes ago, barryj said:

BB - are you saying  front foot ~ bias can be eliminated and run bias just on the rear foot?? 

Why the hockey puck truck not?  I've even run reverse bias in order to keep angles down on 18cm wide boards.  By reverse I mean front foot towards the toe, rear foot towards the heel, because the board is wider at those points due to the flare of the sidecut.

Now I just say screw it and leave my boots centered over the bindings.  Happy medium.

Just now, barryj said:

BB - are you saying  front foot ~ bias can be eliminated and run bias just on the rear foot?? 

I think that the bias, in FHRT sense, can be completely eliminated, on both feet. Although, I probably have a bit in the rear, on my wider boards. 

• Thanks 1