Note to New Members ×

60/55 vs 55/50?

1xsculler

13 minutes ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

BOARD WIDTH should Dictate the stance options,

It keeps getting touted,  but where is this magic list of Board Width = Specific Angle ??

On my Swoard EC Gen 4 175 my goal is to lay it out EC style (slope and crowd permitting) on every run......but not necessarily every turn.

Using ~ bias has worked for me, and I know in doing so it puts me at higher angles  to avoid boot out - currently 60/55 to achieve  no more than 1cm of overhang on the rear boot

I have a new Coiler coming........with that board I will set it up without ~ bias and thus have lower angles.......to see the difference

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, barryj said:

It keeps getting touted,  but where is this magic list of Board Width = Specific Angle ??

That's too much of a variable to 'chart', in many vectors (not just in the Wine-Box test!), where things like flex pattern, torsional twist, sidecut, camber profile, and insert/binding location also need factoring in (And, I exclude Boot/binding combos, or lifter plates!). I mean, how crazy of a spread-sheet do You want? And, gee, what IF you fall into a 'sub-group' that wasn't accounted for? I, guess, then , I'd inform ICE that you're not conforming to The Norm, and give them your home addy! I certainly Won't put out such a chart, because I've ridden thousands of boards, often with quite different stances in my 40 years of riding. But, Burton issued their version; feel free to Duck-Stance at 23" with copious amounts of heel-drag.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, barryj said:

At the minimum it would have to be a magic matrix list of board width, sidecut of board, boot sole length, binding lift, insert placement in relation to sidecut, stance width, etc.

But if you're looking for simple Sean has a calculator. Note the lack of bias as an adjustment factor.

https://www.donek.com/width-calculator/

Edited by lonbordin
You can lead a horse...

Lonbordin    .......thanks for the link to the Seanulator     

By plugging in the known's:  1- carve riding style, 2- hardboot specific,  3- 11.5 boot,  and playing with the rear angle number until waist width comes down to my Swoards Gen. 4, EC 175's  known  23.1 waist , the Seanulator  calls for a 53 rear binding angle.....so my 55/50 wasn't far off !    but that's of course  without any bias!

fyi:  Tried 60/55 and it wasn't any better!     So brought it back to 55/50

Is there a tutorial for Centering Toe/Heel blocks   aka: let's try No ~ bias  

Thanks Carvin,     I appreciate your non sarcastic, non judgmental reply!

I know there's a middle mark on each boot...just was wondering if there were any new tips or tricks to centering since I hadn't done this in years and there's no specific center mark on the binding.

I've got it figured out and done

Barry,

I'll throw two more cents into the mix just in case it is of any help. When I ride in Hardboots I'm not really comfortable at angles less than 55/50 ( I have fairly limited rear ankle mobility which adds to the problem).  Most people are gonna say use the lowest possible angles for the board, which I agree with. But since I can't  go any lower than that comfortably, I always ride decks around 20cm and always narrower than 23cm. Different strokes for different folks. 

• Like 1