Note to New Members ×

Coiler EC vs Swoard EC ??

barryj

Anybody ridden both and got an opinion either way??

I love the pop in my 23 waist Gen. 4 Swoard Extreme Carver 175 Medium flex......but a second Grind is due and I think it's time to replace it.........and am Super Itchy for another 22/23 waist board that loves to EC, but can still carve it up Pureboarding style!

What to do, what to do!   Coiler EC,  or Swoard Gen 5 EC.         

OR!...... what about keeping my Swoard and getting something different like  a Proteus or Stubby V2!!

Decisions, Decisions!   

58 minutes ago, redia said:

Salut 

J’ai les deux Coiler EX et la LA Swoard G4 et la PRO et si tu aime l’extremecarving  la Swoard est là meilleur ??La PRO elle est incroyable ? 

"Hi 

I own 2 Coiler EX, one Swoard G4 and the Swoard PRO. If you like extremecarving, Swoard's board are the best. The PRO is unbelieveable."

I'd take Redia's word on it. He lives and breathe Extreme-Carving.

• Like 1

Bruces building the stubby v2 for me as we speak and I used to have Swoard EC gen 4 but not anymore. I will pm you how coiler is once i get it.

i chose coiler stubby bc it is same construction as EC board but juat have upturned nose as i want to use it for various conditions and not just for EC. And I like the customizable part about coiler or donek. 

3 hours ago, Québec man said:

Hi barrj,

have you Everton thought of this little thing??

They made It in titanal.

IMG_1472.JPG

Since it is quite difficult to design one board, I still wonder how OES can design such a wide range with so many construction options and have them all perform right...

Anyway that model is a pure copy of the Swoard shape...Did not even try to modify the specs!...same goes for the 3 sizes 161-168-175......luckily it does perform like a pale copy does...

I rarely, almost never, criticize what other brands do, but when the competition is obviously a rip-off and targets you directly, it's hard to stay silent...sry for the off-topic moment..

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I tried most of these boards

The Coiler EC is a good board but the Extremecarver Pro is better to make EC, and has more versatility. You can use it even on soft snow or moguls, with the same easiness.

I tried also 2 Bulat : 168 and 175 (both with fiberglass construction). The 168 is a poor board. No dampening, lot of vibrations, awfull sound on hard snow. Definively an unpleasant board that works only on good snow. No fun to ride it.

The 175 Bulat is worse. One of the worst board I ever tried. Way to hard, difficult to turn, and as the 168, no dampening.

as Nils said copying the outline doesn't make a good board.

Edited by Arnaud
  • Like 1

Hey Lurch...the AP67 is a 20 waist and a totally different rad tool/ride........

Hey Maxlanaudiere......do you have a Sworad Pro?   Been thinking Pro model, but Is there as much Pop as the Extreme Carver??  

Hey Quebec man....... I was 1st on the list to offer to test ride a Bulat from some guy offering loaners to test...........but never heard back form guy repping them.......  Would have to see it and ride it to believe it....especially for the price......seems to good to be true!

Nils ...... Nils from Swoard?   If so,  Great to see you on here! 

12 hours ago, barryj said:

Anybody ridden both and got an opinion either way??

I love the pop in my 23 waist Gen. 4 Swoard Extreme Carver 175 Medium flex......but a second Grind is due and I think it's time to replace it.........and am Super Itchy for another 22/23 waist board that loves to EC, but can still carve it up Pureboarding style!

What to do, what to do!   Coiler EC,  or Swoard Gen 5 EC.         

OR!...... what about keeping my Swoard and getting something different like  a Proteus or Stubby V2!!

Decisions, Decisions!   

Even though it's such a beast on ice, Proteus is actually  blast in soft snow and crud - partly the narrow outline and partly the ridiculous amount of rebound - but as long as you've got the thing tipped up on edge the extra width of the Swoard Pro doesn't seem like a liability and it's definitely more oriented toward lying down on the snow. The Proteus seems to me to reward a more east-coast style of angulation and unless you go with a custom width you'll be riding higher angles than most EC riders like. My size 27 Raichles can be ridden at 57/54 but just barely. I haven't been on Squaw since the '70s so I'm not familiar with how it sets up these days but in 1976 I didn't see a glimmer of ice anywhere except on the racecourse so maybe the more EC-oriented boards would be the call?

I have a Coiler EC, 175x22 13/14m sidecut and like it alot... I've tested one of redia Swoard Pro 175x23 M and found it had more pop than the Coiler but thought the sidecut of the Swoard was a little bit too tight for my taste... Both are great boards. What I would like to try is a Coiler EC 175x23, with a 14/16 sidecut and extra pop... ;) 

P.S. I will test the Bulat in 2 weeks! 

Edited by Technick
  • Like 1

Technik,   Funny you'd wish for a Bruce EC. 175 23 waist, 14-16SC!!

Bruce has a left over "mystery"  EC 177 board,( one of his older designs, before he went more decamber)  177 EC 23 waist 14-18 SC with titanal.  Were talking it's original order weight range now.!............  could be Interesting!!!   Definitely  Unique!

• Like 1

hi guys !:1luvu:

I see that everyone hère is talking about pop, but in EC, there are more important properties like raising the board at the end of the curve, to facilitate the change or the ratio lg, weight, radius. because if it is difficult to practice the EC if the board is not perfectly adapted to the driver .it is strongly advised to use the boards adapted for this if one wants to practice the technique of swoard (EC).

:biggthump

enjoy friends !

• Like 1

it's definitely more oriented toward lying down on the snow

No ! Of course the board is designed for EC, but there is a lot of work to make it a versatile board that works in every conditions. As for every wide board it's mainly a matter of technique. Race technique is not the best to manage this kind of wide boards.

Would love the Pro but I thought the Pro doesn't have the Pop of the Extreme Carver?

Being a metal board it has a little bit less pop than the Extremecarver (Gen 5 actually) that use Carbon / Kevlar in the construction. The last model, Pro 2, build with .4 mm titanal has more pop than the previous one.

I've tested one of redia Swoard Pro 175x23 M and found it had more pop than the Coiler

Yes, right, especially, the Pro 2

Edited by Arnaud

We has like talk some years before.

http://forums.bomberonline.com/topic/39268-on-edge-style-–-oes/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-406503

No way for replay.
We produce not only 3 models of EC boards.
Our production line have over 50 alpine boards. And main of our sales - race boards.
Also we produce full range junior race boards and junior BX boards.

19 hours ago, barryj said:

Hey Maxlanaudiere......do you have a Sworad Pro?   Been thinking Pro model, but Is there as much Pop as the Extreme Carver??  

BarryJ all I did was translating Redia's post for you. I know google does a poor job. Redia could answer your question.

Redia est-ce que la Swoard-Pro a autant de pop que la Coiler EC ?

Thanks for all the info guys!   I can't decide......so my current thinking is...... I'm Gonna Buy Both!

Really like my Swoard Gen 4, and need to replace it anyway, so I'm going with  the pop (and price) of the Sword Gen 5 EC 175  M flex ......... AND Bruce's Special Sauce EC 177 ....it's just too tantalizing to pass up !!!

Edited by barryj
  • Like 1