Note to New Members ×

No socks, ok or bad idea?

Zone

I have new liners that are really snugs ( I realized I was a bit too floaty in the past and filled the void with thicker socks).

I tried them with thin socks then with no socks.

Wearing no socks felt amazing, with no ill effect observed.

My feet do get quite sweaty but almost never cold.

Can I keep going without socks? Would the liners stink more than with thin socks in the long run?

I rode barefoot or nylons for years.  Chafe  and hot spots were never an issue.  I guess it comes down to what kind of cold your toes can handle.  The downside is you can clear out a bar if you take your boots off at the end of the day...

With age I have graduated to slightly thicker ski socks. SmartWool brand works well. I guess the layer of pudge that comes with age does not necessarily keep you warmer. LOL

Except I sweat so much usually the socks and liners and soaked by the end of the day.

I would have to change socks (and thick ones) 3-4 times per session if it was too keep the liners dry.

But maybe the socks hold the dead skin to prevent smell? I don't know. Hence the question.

Should have drain holes in the liners lol.

Anyone who has ever played hockey knows that no socks gives the best fit for their skates. Unfortunately, the hockey gear bag can be located via the olfactory system from the other side of the house. Sweat and leather makes for a very smelly result. Liners, being synthetic, do better than leather, but still hold a smell after a period of time. Aggressive drying and good liner care should help. Remove them from the boots after use and dry them  thoroughly. Maybe even consider washing them once in a while.

However, I would ride in whatever felt the best. Replacing the liner every couple years when they smell too bad would be better than riding with uncomfortable feet.

Hey Zone,  If it works for ya sockless I'd say ride it until either your toes fall off from the Ontario cold or the eventual liner smell knocks ya out!

My feet are like Thermo nuclear devices and usually never get cold!...but it's currently a deep freeze out here In northern NH where I'm at for the holidays (.....the high tomorrow is supposed to be a balmy negative -3 - ugh!) and in this cold my toes would shrivel up pop off like raisins without some type of sock!!     

fwiw- My Track 425's are such a perfect fit I have found that wearing even just a little thicker sock than usual causes me more performance problems from cramping than it's worth!!

On 12/27/2017 at 2:35 PM, barryj said:

Hey Zone,  If it works for ya sockless I'd say ride it until either your toes fall off from the Ontario cold or the eventual liner smell knocks ya out!

My feet are like Thermo nuclear devices and usually never get cold!...but it's currently a deep freeze out here In northern NH where I'm at for the holidays (.....the high tomorrow is supposed to be a balmy negative -3 - ugh!) and in this cold my toes would shrivel up pop off like raisins without some type of sock!!     

Lol

To test it out.

-19c (-2.2F) barefoot and toasty warm today.

Stink test is next ;-)