Note to New Members ×

UPZ Sizing Help Request

Deckard

I’ve always used Raichle/Deluxe but curious to try UPZ.  Yes, I have ‘heel hold down’ issues in my Deluxe.

My foot measures 27.6 and is somewhat wide at forefoot and high arch.

I’ve downsized to a 26/26.5 shell in my AF600/700 by using a Palau liner for a comfortably snug fit.  Even after going down a full size I still have to use shims to avoid heel lift.  

I’m guessing this has been asked before but my question to those who have made the Deluxe-UPZ switch is..... 

Based on your experience would I be able to use the same size UPZ shell as I am with Deluxe or would I be better off with a 27?  I’d like to consider that question in regards to using the stock UPZ liner or a moldable liner. I could not downsize a full size without a moldable liner.  Are the UPZ liners good enough to consider using over moldable liner?

I’ve seen Bomber’s boot comparison study but wanted to get some user feedback as well.

Thanks Much for your time....

I ended going down a size from my first boots (deeluxe/raichael) to my UPZs. This may be that the others were my first pair of boots and I may have sized them too big. I had the same problems you have with heel lift, and atleast for me, it was not magic at first fit, though I did notice improvements. If heel hold is a concern, many, including myself, have noted that the UPZ liner seems to shift in the boot a little. What actually made the biggest impact for me after I got my UPZs was to get a custom footbed. I went in to one of the best fitters around with my issue and he suggested the footbed as it would help to keep my foot in it's correct placement in the boot, including the heel. It definitely helped, almost night and day. 

My other problem was that I have a high arch and instep, which the UPZs couldn't accommodate very well with the stock liner, but a Pro Wrap fixed that as well as improving the overall feel and hold

I had deeluxe indy, then I had UPZ RC-10. the thing i didnt like about deeluxe was that I had heel lift even with custom liners.

I switched to UPZ RC-10 and no more heel lift! It has good fit but stock liner is junk after couple days. I have mondo size 26 and I used 26/26.5 and it was tight fit. But I never had fully custom liner like Palau on UPZ RC-10. 

If you are mondo size 27.6 then maybe 27/27.5 boot would fit good? I would talk to UPZ rep in Canada. He helped me pick out the size.

I ran a 27 Deeluxe T700 with light punching for toe room with 28 cm feet.  Had pretty bad heel lift.  I really struggled with 27 UPZs; both with my toes hitting the ends and my high arch/stiff foot making getting in an out a real chore.  

Then I went to 28 UPZs two seasons ago.  Sweet relief!  I can get my feet in/out without bloodshed, feet were locked in, and I still have all my toenails.  For my foot shape, buying the same size as my feet was the right answer.  

All of the above had thermo liners.  My favorite have been Intuition Alpine liners.  

Deck, I had so many different versions of Deluxx and Foam, Thermo liners since 2000 that Im  embarrassed on how much I have spent. I went to UPZ and it was a huge difference but the best thing I bought for boot fitting is the Zip Fit liners. I dont see my self spending $$ on a liner for the rest of my riding after getting the ZipFit liners. You might consider trying the Zips in your current boots and if they dont help with your current issue ditch those shells and move the Zips in the UPZ. Seriously I wish I tried the Zips years ago. My feet would have been much happier and I would have saved a ton of doe

• Like 1

High arch, wide forefoot. My right foot is 26.3cm, I have both a UPZ as a Deeluxe T700 27 mondo. Otherwise i can't get the middle buckle to close due to the high arch. Both custom liners (Boot Doc and Strolz). Got the .951 mondo 27, have to try them, feel good with standard liner.

Edited by Hans

I went true to size on my UPZ's, and they fit great right out of the box. I ended up having to upsize a few years ago, after my arches dropped and my feet got longer. There's a significant difference in the midfoot volume between the 26 shells and the 27's (similar to what Corey noted when he moved up). The 26's used to be a wrestling match to get on, even with my skinny feet. The 27's are night and day easier. If you have high arches, you'll regret sizing down.

I ran my 26.5 Black Diamond liners in the 27 boots for a couple of seasons (unlike the shells, they stretch). Try the stock liners, but try your Palaus in there too. You might like the feel better, and it will give you a comparison of the wrap liner v the tongue liner in the shells. I personally like the tongue liner better with the flex of that boot, but I seem to be about the only one.

FWIW, it might be worth contacting Dan at UPZ (yoja@upzboots.com) - I was between sizes, and he gave a lot of thought and consideration in making a size recommendation. He recommended the smaller size for me, and I was admittedly dubious about it, but went with his advice. In the end, its worked out very well - I've got a great-fitting, warm set of boots! I got the RC10 boots, and ultimately went with an Intuition tongue liner ("Luxury") and Superfeet carbon insoles. It took 2 heat-mold cycles and several days of riding to get it all worked in, but they're now almost as comfy as my old favorite Burton Shadows, but with the full-on responsiveness of a 5-buckle boot. (In truth, the stock UPZ liners kinda sucked. Bad.)

Anyway, I suspect that nobody is going to be able to help you out w/ UPZ boots like Dan would be able to!

• Thanks 1

I went with 27s in the UPZ, was in 26s in delux and was always having issues. Right foot 27.3  left 26.8 but when you pull the laces on the Zip liner it is mad hold even with the size difference. rode them today and they were a bit stiff at the start then started to be nice to me. Maybe someday I will actually follow the molding process and see how they fit then but even without doing that they are great. If you can find a shop to try them in your current shells you will understand what I mean. Great part is you can try them in a shop, even if they mold them and if you dont like them they are not used, they can be put back in the box and remolded for someone else. No risk to the shop.

12 hours ago, Bobby Buggs said:

I went with 27s in the UPZ, was in 26s in delux and was always having issues. Right foot 27.3  left 26.8 but when you pull the laces on the Zip liner it is mad hold even with the size difference. rode them today and they were a bit stiff at the start then started to be nice to me. Maybe someday I will actually follow the molding process and see how they fit then but even without doing that they are great. If you can find a shop to try them in your current shells you will understand what I mean. Great part is you can try them in a shop, even if they mold them and if you dont like them they are not used, they can be put back in the box and remolded for someone else. No risk to the shop.

You going out again today? My Proteus is all set and so am I - kinda - two days on snow in the last four years. Were you at Berkshire East? Conditions? Sent you a text anyway. Happy Holidays!

As far as the thread topic:  My insanely wide feet have been pretty happy in Raichle and their offshoots - first 125, then 325 and now 700s, even with vanilla thermofits. I do have some amazing 20 year old cork insoles which helps I guess.

I just ordered the UPZs, went with same mondo as my old Deeluxes.  If I don't like the stock liners, can just stuff my old Deeluxe Thermoflex liners into the UPZs?  I understand that after a day or so of riding, they can mold to the new shape.  Should I also scavenge the BTS from the Deeluxes?  

10 minutes ago, darko714 said:

I just ordered the UPZs, went with same mondo as my old Deeluxes.  If I don't like the stock liners, can just stuff my old Deeluxe Thermoflex liners into the UPZs?  I understand that after a day or so of riding, they can mold to the new shape.  Should I also scavenge the BTS from the Deeluxes?  

You can use your old liners but it would be best if you molded them to the new boot. You cannot use BTS on UPZ. 

• Thanks 1

for what it's worth, i'll chip in my 2 cents. I had Deeluxe 325s that were too high volume for my feet. Had to crank down the buckles almost everywhere, and still experienced significant heel hold issues (heel lift). Not good.

So I tried some Medium volume Intuition power wrap liners and the results were pretty amazing. These liners take up a serious amount of volume while improving the performance of the boot. No heel lift anymore, heel is locked into place and I found the powerwrap liner provided a welcome boost in the stiffness and responsiveness of the boot.

• Like 1