Note to New Members ×

Coiler Nirvana Balance vs Donek FC/MetalFC

jburk

At the risk of inciting a religious war based on manufacturer preference, I'd like to solicit some opinions on the pros and cons of each of these boards.  I'm trying to decide which board to order for this year.  Please don't give me Sean vs Bruce comparisons, based on the postings they both seem to be very personable and very good at their craft.

Some background: 20+ years of skiing, then boarding since late 80's, hardbooting since early 90's until early 00's on mid-90's gear, started back up again last season on an '03 F2 Silberpfiel 168 (10.5m), UPZ RC-10's, and TD3 step-ins (that was an eye-opener).  Ended the season at 53/50 for angles.  Boot size is MP26, so overhang was not a problem, actually had to resort to "gilmour bias" due to not being able to center up with the TD3s and small UPZs

I'm 5'8", 165 lbs, and a 47cm stance (maybe subject to change as I continue to adapt to the newer gear, used to ride 17" on the mid-90's gear).  Rode a Burton Asym Air 64 and a F2 Beamer Race (also asym) back in the day fairly aggressively, the F2 specs show an 8.5/9.5m scr, and the Burton seemed about the same sidecut as the longer side of the Beamer.  Almost all hardbooting was at Whistler/Blackcomb, and despite trying some boards back in the day with longer sidecuts (W/B has a lot of room to let it rip), I always preferred the smaller-radius boards.  Also gravitated to SL/turny skis when I skied...   

Given that a lot of where I ride at Meadows @Mt Hood is relatively narrow and can get a tad crowded, even the 10.5 Silberpfeil felt like it wanted a bit too much room, and I always felt I was trying to drive it shorter than it liked.

The Donek offerings being considered are the Freecarve in fiberglass, MetalFC, or the Freecarve with the new "Secret" sauce, all in the 167 length and 8.5-10.5m sidecut.  

As to the Coiler offerings, it looks like the Coiler Nirvana Balance would be a good match for me in a sub-170 length, wondering if Bruce could adapt the sidecut to something like 8.5/10.5/9.5

I've got enough in the cookie jar to order the Donek FC fiberglass version right now, could take another 6-8 weeks to save up the diff for either the MetalFC or the FC Secret.  Which brings me to wonder about the Coiler Nirvana Balance; the price on the Coiler is awfully tempting, and with the CAD/USD exchange rates is almost $450 less than the upper end of the Donek price range. 

Trying to decide between the Coiler or Donek fiberglass FC at the lower end of the price range, or are the other 2 Donek offerings worth the extra $$?  Realize that last question is entirely subjective, a lot of that comes down to how easily I can scratch up the extra $500.

Edited by jburk
wrong Coiler model name in title

I went through the process of ordering a Nirvana Energy with Bruce in late 2016. One of Bruce's comments was that the Nirvana designs' length sweet spot was the 174cm. You would need to talk to Bruce to find out whether the Nirvana concept would translate to both a shorter length and SCR.

That said, you could probably buy 3 Coilers for the price of 2 metal Doneks. 

Bruce is an artist. Plenty of people here will tell you how Bruce produced the board they didn't know they wanted, how he essentially, in the conversation before the design was finalised, read their mind and produced something they loved.

Bruce has started to talk about retiring in the last year or so. How much longer you'll be able to order one of his works of art is unclear.

NB:Disclaimer: I own 3 Coilers, 0 Doneks. 

• Like 2

I have 2 Coilers, ExtremeCarve 175 x 22cm, 14-13m SCR and Nirvana Energy 170 x 20.5cm 11m VSR (10/12/11), I have one coming soon from Bruce for my wife, a Nirvana Energy 165x19.5cm, 10m vsr, flex for 125lbs. So yes, he can do one for you no problem but there is a 10 weeks waiting time right now between order and delivery...

I'm riding on the east coast where the snow is hard packed . 

I have 3 coilers :
Anggry 160 10m VSR 
Nirvana Energy 170  12/14m
Nirvana Energy 174 10.5/12.7/12m (0.4mm titanal)

They ride pretty well on hardpack, but also on softer snow in Colorado when I can attend SES/ATC

As you can see you can have different sizes and sidecuts, you can have a Coiler or Donek that fits your requirements that's for sure.

Just send an email to Bruce and Sean and discuss with them.

OK.  After 12-1/2 minutes of careful deliberation, contemplating not getting delivery from Coiler until early to mid-January, and finding most of the difference between the Donek Freecarve fiberglass and metalFC in the sofa cushions, I pulled the pin and placed an order for a 167cm Freecarve with the new secret construction.  

The downside is that it will be here early enough for it to stare at me for the next 4-6 weeks until the snow falls.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, jburk said:

OK.  After 12-1/2 minutes of careful deliberation, contemplating not getting delivery from Coiler until early to mid-January, and finding most of the difference between the Donek Freecarve fiberglass and metalFC in the sofa cushions, I pulled the pin and placed an order for a 167cm Freecarve with the new secret construction.  

The downside is that it will be here early enough for it to stare at me for the next 4-6 weeks until the snow falls.

I applaud this careful decision :-) Looking forward to a ride report once we have a little more base. 

I’ve been fortunate enough to own variants of the FC’s in glass and metal. Been on the mk, ridden the OG and second gen secrets in hard and softboots and my go to alpine is a 174 nirvana energy. I agree 100% with what Corey said. You made a decision, now enjoy the ride!

In general, the biggest difference I have noticed between my nirvana and a couple of Donek boards I have ridden, is that the nirvana atleast (and I believe coiler overall) can be ridden more relaxed than Donek boards. Doneks usually require more aggressive input to open them up - like a you get what you put into it kind of thing. If you don't push the Donek, it won't ride properly. That's not to say that you cannot push a coiler, but it tends to still rail with relatively little aggression. 

Again, just what I have noticed in the 1/2 season or so of owning my nirvana. Personally, it fits my style best so far, though I hear Sean has been working on something that will have similar behaviors.... 

2 hours ago, Jack Michaud said:

Can't go wrong with either.  Enjoy your new board!

I figured it was like trying to decide between prosciutto and pancetta on a pizza; close but different, tasty either way.

Has anyone seen the perf metal black graphic with the carbonium topsheet?  I'm wondering if that topsheet material looks odd combined with the repeating pattern in the graphic...

3 hours ago, jburk said:

Has anyone seen the perf metal black graphic with the carbonium topsheet?  I'm wondering if that topsheet material looks odd combined with the repeating pattern in the graphic...

Moot point, posting for posterity:

I received a prompt response from Sean @ donek to this same question: "We only really offer Carbonite these days. I don't think the two fight with each other though."