Note to New Members ×

WTF 2018. Jan 24~Feb 3

snowreport: fri mar 23, 2018
howdy all

a nice morning and a little windy and on the chilly side. cloudy with the sun peaking thru a little

then gets sunny by noon and gets warm and slushy down low and fun slushy carving. it was firm

in the morning on chair 2 so went to chair 1 and there was an inch plus of good dense snow all

over the front on toni matt which made it fun. underneath was the polish ice, but the new snow

made it easy to ride on. then back to chair 2 and rode the slush... another fun day... gets cloudy

when I got back home...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 2...

snowreport: sat mar 24, 2018
howdy all

high clouds just over the big and on the chilly side with a good wind all morning. snow is breaking down

and it is loose granular like sand. the cold temps kept the snow dry and it was icy crunchy. did not feel it

so called it early, didn't seem like it was going to get wet and slushy. not the best day as everywhere was

on the firm side. just as I got home it started to dump snow then 20 minutes later it stopped, just a dusting

then the sun comes out again... the spring freeze/thaw is here and there is 2 more weeks...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 11:45..

snowreport: sun mar 25, 2018
howdy all

another nice mostly sunny skies in the morning and cooler temps with lite winds and firm snow.

it took a while for the snow to soften and it was nice smooth polished ice and it got good for a

little while about noon then the lower mountain gets soft and slushy, but by 2:30pm the clouds

are back and the slush piles starts to firm up. by 3pm it looks like it's going to dump snow, but

it didn't and starts to clear up... some good carving... mostly sliding in the morning...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 3...

snowreport: mon mar 26, 2018
howdy all

kinda of a grey cold winter day with a little wind that made for a colder day that kept the snow good.

some good carving and some polish ice that's hard to dig in and some granular that doesn't hold too good.

the lighting was flat at times and was hard see, but there was no fog. took it easy and cruised around.

forecast is a slight warm up on Thursday then maybe the artic air comes down by the weekend with snow.

rode the 165cc from 9 till 2...

On 3/26/2018 at 9:11 AM, Allee said:

Guess I shouldn't bother packing my best carving gears for this weekend then :-) Rock board, late start and early beers sounds like a good plan for Saturday.

Allee, bring the good stuff.  No need for rock board; still plenty deep and their has been good carving.  Toni Matt and Big Ravine get groomed early and can take a while to soften, but they've been regularly grooming other good stuff later at night.  Like Ptarmigan Bowl, where they've been alternating between new-cut, the face, and the bowl aspects.  The winch cat has been out regularly, so The Chute, Heep Steep, Powder Trap are getting refreshed every couple of days.  They've even been grooming No Name lately.  Bring both hard and soft setups and you'll have a good time one way or another.

Edited by johnasmo

snowreport: tue mar 27, 2018
howdy all

wow! full on winter day, started with some grey clouds and fog as usual from the top of chair 2 and

above. just as the lifts start running it starts to snow and it was dumping all day till 3pm with a good

wind from the south. fog was thick at times, but we know where to go and the skiing got better as the

day progressed. I was slarving most of the day just to slow it down feel my way around. kinda firm

groom with the new accumulating to a few inches. was a fun day and no more spring skiing blues.

forecast is a warm up then colder by the weekend with more rain/snow... winters back...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 3...

snowreport: wed mar 28, 2018
howdy all

I knew it was going to be good and should have brought the big vsr, but still had fun on the all mountain.

another classic foggy day and great groomers. look like it was going to clear with blue skies to the south,

but it did not, but it did slowly lift and by 1pm it was above the mountain. the groomers was better in places

and depends on the time other places got good. the bottom got slushy by 3pm. ptarmigan bowl was good

when it cleared of fog... today was good... oh yeah, yesterday the 165amt felt really wide after riding the 165cc

18cm waist so I put the bindings closer to the edge. forecast is more snow on Friday so Saturday should be good.

snowreport: thu mar 29, 2018
howdy all

beautiful blue sky morning and firm groomers early as yesterday got slushy just by the ambient warm air.

cruising around the backside and waiting for the frontside to soften up, it didn't take too long with the sun

beating down all day. it got soft by noon and it was good carving then it was fun slush carving later and i

stayed till the end. never felt too hot, but my goggle tan got even darker. today was really fun as I took it

easy in the morning then rode hard till closing. forecast is some snow Friday then a nice day on Saturday

then a snowy colder Sunday and Monday... spring skiing at its best... really fun day...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 4...

snowreport: fri mar 30, 2018
howdy all

cloudy and it had that look and feel like it was going to rain/snow and it just starts to lightly snow

for an hour and a half. clouds was all over and moving fast from the south with a good wind. it was

dry snow and had an inch of new snow over groom and the backside was better and the front was

polished ice. the little section on silver tip was very carveable so did a bunch of runs in the morning.

the clouds and wind kept the snow firm longer and it just starts to get soft on the bottom around

2pm, but by then I was kinda over it and called it. was supposed to snow more, but it never did and

it actually got nice later in the afternoon. should snow tomorrow in the morning, but can expect the

polished ice first thing... carved some good turns on silver tip...

snowreport: sat mar 31, 2018
howdy all

the big snow report said it was 1 degree at 6am on the summit with minus 13 degrees wind chill

and yes it was fricken cold. the frontside was hard polished ice and with the cold temps and wind

chill it did not get soft until much later in the day. I was on the lookout for allee and got a tap on the

shoulder in line on chair 7. we did a bunch of runs on the backside and tried one down the front

after lunch, but it was still hard ice. it was really cold in the morning, but with blue skies and the sun 

shining it got nice in the afternoon. it didn't get slushy, but just broke down into crunchy spring corn.

it was brewfest and dummy run and watched a few of them jump the huge kicker before I left.

it turned out to be a great day and made some nice turns on silvertip which had perfect carving snow.

it was a fun day riding with allee...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 4...

What a great day. We've had so little sunshine at home this spring, that it was lovely to just be cruising around under blue skies, and sitting on slow chairs catching rays. West took me on a "get to know your mountain - Chair 11" day, which was super fun! I quit earlier than the guys, and sat on the fence at Beerfest soaking up the sunshine. 

Be up this morning, but have to quit at midday. There's weather coming in for the drive home, and I don't really need another seven hour white knuckle ride like it took to get here. I'm gonna miss the 2.30 Easter service with Jesus. Dang.

Edited by Allee

snowreport: sun apr 01, 2018
howdy all

happy easter! and happy winter! it was a cold morning, but not as cold as yesterday. cloudy and flat

lighting and the fog/cloud was just above the summit. did a few runs with allee and she had to leave

about 11:30am. then it started to dump a lot of snow and and it got kinda fun. the new snow over the

polished ice made it a little easier to slide around. it was back to winter and the fog got lower and the

snow kept falling. I called it early cause i'm hoping tomorrow will be good groomers so i'm rested up.

we will see how much pow adds up tomorrow... softboots?... probably not, but should be good groomers...

allee glad you made it home safely, thanks for taking the rime north... forecast is more snow in the

morning then starts to clear by later noontime... today, just took it easy and sliding around...

snowreport: mon apr 02, 2018
howdy all

wow! full on winter storm with a crazy wind from the north and dumping snow in your face as you

go up chair 2 and 1. the wind was picking up snow and blasting it into the sky. I was surprised the

big opened chair 1. it was ridiculous to be up on the hill, but I stuck it out and had a great carving day.

early on the new snow over groom was wind blown like a huge washboard then as it got skied into

push piles it started mesh with the hard groom underneath. the new snow was kinda dense as it

was pulverized by the wind and it got deposited into good deep piles. the wind slowed down by noon

and the sun tried to come out later in the day and it felt warmer. summit temps was in the single digits

with minus degrees wind chill then by the end of the day it was comfy. met nwboarder as I was about

to leave the hill and he showed me his beautiful thirst board... was a fun day power carving thru variable

conditions...

rode the 165cc from 9 till 4...

snowreport: tue apr 03, 2018
howdy all

another classic foggy day on the big. cold humid and snowing off and on and about 3pm it was the

most beautiful lite fluffy snow falling slowly like movie snow with no wind. there was an inch of new

snow over groom and ed's run was nice and smooth and made some huge turns. not many people on

the hill and no lift line wait. today was a fun day carving around cause everywhere was good...

rode the 165cc from 9 till 4...

snowreport: wed apr 04, 2018
howdy all

today was so good with the fresh snow groomed down. it was perfect carving snow on ed's from top

to bottom and also up high. very little people on the hill so the groom stayed good all day. the only thing

bad about today was the fog, it was really thick and moving around fast as it was clear in spots then

really thick where you could not see anything. rode hard from opening bell and by 2pm I was kinda done

but kept riding till closing. it was the kind of snow where you could really push it and carve as tight as

you could and it would hold. this is the kind of snow condition I dream about. only a few more days till

closing and it is like mid winter. today was one of the better carving day... rode hard in the morning...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 4...

snowreport: thu apr 05, 2018
howdy all

another great carving day, an inch plus of new over groom and lightly snowing. more like hero snow

as it was nice and soft and no hard ice anywhere. long gone is any thoughts of spring skiing cause

tonight is forecasted to dump more snow. lite crowds and no lift line wait and making quick laps

made it a great morning. foggy down low, but it was clearer up high in the morning then it got a little

foggy, but not too bad. today was slightly was warmer and tomorrow should be colder with some

artic wind... another good fun carving day...

snowreport: fri apr 06, 2018
howdy all

the big reported 2 inches overnight with the artic wind blowing in the early morning and it was cold.

summit was single digits with minus degree wind chills. the big had that wind blown look to it from

town. the wind slowed down by 10am and there was blue sky above and it was snowing till 11am

then it slowly got warmer and the clouds starts to build again. groomers was on the firm side and

just barely held an edge. the wind exposed the firm groom and deposited the fine wind blown snow

here and there. another fun day power carving thru variable conditions... we did not get the snow

that was forecasted and I hope we don't get the rain that's forecasted tomorrow...

snowreport: sat apr 07, 2018
howdy all

nice calm morning with super high thin overcast that slowly builds and gets thicker. the groomers

on ed's run was smooth velvet cords as good as it gets. ripped hard all morning then had lunch just

before 2pm and it was crazy busy with the last weekend crowds. took awhile to get my order then

as I sat to eat outside the baselodge it was really dumping the biggest snowflakes I have ever seen.

[ alert! winter storm warning ]... then it turned into rain down low then the wind picked up, got colder

then turned into snow again then the fog from the summit quickly moves down the mountain.

the storm came in just as the pond skimming got started at 2:30pm and it dumped about an inch

plus in a hour and a half. it was snowing and super foggy at the village and it seemed like everyone

left right at 4pm cause the traffic was really bad... great groomers in the morning on ed's and hardly

anyone on chair 2... snow gets kinda heavy by noon and I was soaked by the end of the day from the

last few runs in the storm... great groomers and its the second to the last day...

snowreport: sun apr 08, 2018
howdy all

well, it's the last day of the 17/18 season and it's still winter. kinda sad cause there is still plenty of

good snow. classic big mountain fog, but not so bad and kinda on the humid side. groomers were

good in the morning and not too many people as everyone went up chair 1. the big reported 3 inches

overnight, but I still brought the all mountain carver, would have been good on the softies up higher.

I knew it was going to be wet hardpack down low so just wanted to be comfortable in the hardboots.

just wanted to finish my season with over 2 million vertical feet. snow was getting sticky and slow

around 2pm and by 3pm it was time to call it and i did not finish the last hour. it started to icy rain

just as I was leaving so didn't feel too bad... another good season with a lot of good softboot powder

days and some great carving days... 77 days and 2,013,666 vertical feet and ranked 13th...

kinda of a quite somber day as I left...

G0140872.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1