Note to New Members ×

WTF 2018. Jan 24~Feb 3

snowreport: sat jan 06, 2018
howdy all

I wasn't in the best shape so decided to take it easy and rode the softies plus it is the busy weekend.

ed's had the junior race league on and took up the skiers right half all the way down. cloudy/foggy

and very flat light and very humid and cold, but temps are much warmer. just over an inch of powder

over kinda hardpack and very carvable. met sam first thing in the morning and he was on the softies

too and we did a bunch of runs. it was fun to take it easy and just cruise around. made a few carves

and it felt good, today was fun... ran into a friend who was here for the holidays and will leave on sunday...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 4...

snowreport: mon jan 08, 2018
howdy all

foggy down low and slowly lifts by noon then by 1pm the clouds/fog are above the big and the sun

is shining. a couple down ed's then a good couple pow over groom on toni matt. as the clouds lifts

the face was good and good medicine and there was not many people up here so plenty of untracked

pow. as the sun came out the frontside got wet and heavy chopped up. it was a great pow day and

rode hard and was tired early... 2 inches down low and 4 inches on top and more off groom...

nice sunny warm afternoon...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 2...

snowreport: tue jan 09, 2018
howdy all

lite rain in town and at the baselodge, super foggy down low and rain at the bottom of chairs 1 and 2.

starts to snow midway up on ed's as you enter the fog, the top of ed's was good and the bottom was

sticky slow and really bad. so went to the backside as soon as chair 1 opens and the backside was

good with a few inches of nice lite pow. brought the hardboots thinking it would have been hardpack

from yesterday, but the softies would have been good today and I might have stayed longer...

got wet early and super foggy and wrong board so call it early... some nice turns in the pow...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 12..

snowreport: fri jan 12, 2018
howdy all

took the day off cause the weather report said Thursday and Friday was to have a lot of new snow.

not what was reported, but still kinda good with 3 plus inches over groom and deeper off groom.

as always first few runs are the best then looking for untracked pow lines. seemed busy for a Friday

cause the weather report was looking good for over a foot of pow, but everyone seemed a little bummed,

but still happy with what we got. it was a good pow day and had some good deep pow runs on the off

groom. visibility was good all day with some fog. layed down a few deep carves on the softies. the

groom under the pow was icy crunchy from the past few days of warmer temps and the chicken heads

got mixed in with the new snow and wasn't an issue. was a fun day and carved hard...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 3...

snowreport: sat jan 13, 2018
howdy all

another good pow day as the big reported 7 inches overnight. the first run down ed's was only an

inch over groom cause it gets groom later cause of night skiing. my first run down toni matt was

one of the best with 5 plus inches over groom. the snow got heavy fast and the fog got really thick

and by noon the high traffic areas got packed down hard. took it easy and had a lot of fun watching

everyone have fun. another great day on the hill...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 1...

Came across this today. I rode the old Rosa chair at Kimberley the first time I went there (when they still had two chairs running from the base) but I had no idea it had been at Whistler before that. And I remember riding the old Chair 5 the last season it ran, on a day when the pow was knee deep and you couldn't see two feet in front of you. Turn, turn, fall over, repeat ...

https://liftblog.com/2018/01/14/at-whitefish-a-disused-lift-is-born-again/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Allee said:

Came across this today. I rode the old Rosa chair at Kimberley the first time I went there (when they still had two chairs running from the base) but I had no idea it had been at Whistler before that. And I remember riding the old Chair 5 the last season it ran, on a day when the pow was knee deep and you couldn't see two feet in front of you. Turn, turn, fall over, repeat ...

https://liftblog.com/2018/01/14/at-whitefish-a-disused-lift-is-born-again/

Thanks for telling me about this get together Allee... hopefully I can make it work!!

Also pretty cool about the old Kimberley Rosa chair... I've made numerous shred laps off that chair back in the day!

Hope to maybe see y'all in a couple weeks!!

• Like 1

Hi guys, I need to report that I suck and am welshing on my WTF attendance. After a lot of review of your guys' photos and videos, I've decided I'm not worthy to ride with you guys, so have to give it a pass. Haha, just kidding. Truth is that I failed to clean my plate well enough at work and I can't be away those dates. Kram tells me I have the wrong priorities - I agree...hopefully things will have changed by next season. Have fun and I will look forward to the rub in threads. 

5 hours ago, inkaholic said:

Won’t make it this season but will be pushing for an LCI Takeover next year if I can get members to commit. I just found out we get 3 free days at Whitefish with our Loveland season pass!

Have fun this year and hopefully see you next season!

Ink

5 hours ago, Dan said:

Hi guys, I need to report that I suck and am welshing on my WTF attendance. After a lot of review of your guys' photos and videos, I've decided I'm not worthy to ride with you guys, so have to give it a pass. Haha, just kidding. Truth is that I failed to clean my plate well enough at work and I can't be away those dates. Kram tells me I have the wrong priorities - I agree...hopefully things will have changed by next season. Have fun and I will look forward to the rub in threads. 

Sorry to here that. We will have all the fun without you.

snowreport: mon jan 15, 2018
howdy all

not the best day, I will call it "variable conditions". I avoided ed's all day as there were chicken heads

through out the run, it was unrideable, the flatter areas was a little better. met up with sam and we did

a few runs then johnasmo joined in. snow was a little soft up high and good in the mid mountain and

polish ice on the lower section. tried to make the best of it and tried to stay all day, but left by 3pm.

did some backside runs cause the snow was more consistent. took it easy and ripped were the snow

was good. I guess it got warm yesterday down low and it set up icy crunchy hard, but the top was

nice and soft. the old chair 5 area was groomed at mid mountain and it was perfect carving snow.

again, not the best carving day, but at least the sun was out and temps was comfy...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 3...

snowreport: tue jan 16, 2018
howdy all

got to the baselodge this morning and it was really thick fog. as I am getting ready it clears up and

it is blue sky sunshine. the snow was more consistent top to bottom. ed's was still kinda funky snow

so went to chair 1 and did my toni matt to bench run to toni matt run and carved were the snow was

good. I never felt warm or cold and it was such great day and wanted to stay all day, but I had a dental

appointment and had to leave at 1pm. went to the market and met a liftie and she said the sun was gone

by 2pm and by 3pm it got really cold so I didn't feel so bad. forecast is snow/rain on Thursday and thru

next week and slowly cools down... today was my kinda day, sunny groomers, but the groomers could

have been better...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 1...

snowreport: sat jan 20, 2018
howdy all

got the small carving board ready last night thinking it would be some firm groomers. got up and

read the snow report and it called for 7 inches overnight so brought the softies and did a run on ed's

and it was ok. the fog was thick at the top of ed's and did one run and waited on chair 1. first run on

toni matt was so foggy and the rime was so bad that I took my goggles off at the top of ptarmigan bowl.

I was disoriented and turned down too early and went down new cut. the snow seemed deeper than

7 inches and it had a slight crust. it was tough going and was a little better down low. as I got back

to chair 1 it was having issues and would stop and go a little bit then it moved really slow. so went to

the backside and took a cruiser on caribou, it was a little pow over groom with a lite crust and even

at that slow cruise I had to squint with the rain/ice/snow as my goggles was caked with rime. chair 7

was having issues too so took my break and it was already 11am and chair 1 was running with no one

on it. so called it and went down toni matt and it was super foggy and the crust got thicker and it was

really hard to come down. the crust was over a half inch thick and my board could not stay on top

and kept breaking around the ankles. it was very dangerous conditions and heard that the big was

refunding day tickets or it was good for any day thru the rest of season...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 12...

here is today's big mountain snow report...

Deep thoughts by Carl*:

2:00 p.m Update:  Chairs 1, 5, 7, 8 and 11 will be closed for the rest of the day. We will continue running Chairs 4 and 10 until 4:00 p.m. and Chairs 2, 3 and 6 for night skiing until 8:30 p.m.

10:00 a.m. Update: There's fresh snow to be found everywhere out here today but the quality varies drastically within a few hundred feet of the summit. The fat fluffy flakes of 6:00 a.m. have turned to mixed snow with a freezing ice layer that coats your goggles within seconds. However if you ride with a scraper in hand, there are magical turns to be had!

6:00 a.m. Report: It's great to see snowy roads again! Makes me feel like it's still mid-January driving up here. It's been snowing all night and it's still dumping in the village enough to give us a few more inches on top of our already awesome overnight totals. Make sure to pull out your one-piece ski suit and your brightest neon this morning because today is RETRO SKI DAY! In the spirit of years past, we have some fantastic events lined up for this afternoon, check out the info below. Some of the new features in the park could be freshly raked and open by this afternoon, however, if it keeps snowing like it is currently, that may change. Also, join us tonight for night skiing under the lights until 8:30pm on chairs 2 & 3!