Note to New Members ×

WTF 2018. Jan 24~Feb 3

snowreport: fri feb 02, 2018
howdy all

WTF day 9 the final day that ends on an epic powder day. sorry Cuban we did not have great groomers

this year, but at least we had a couple days that was pretty good. thanks to all that came and made this

a great week of riding. meeting new friends and seeing old friends made this a fun week. the last week

of January has become a roll of the dice and not the consistent conditions of years past. today we had

the classic big mountain fog that was really thick at times and would rime up your goggles. the big reported

9 inches overnight and it was bottomless off groom. the first few runs were sweet untracked butter then

it gets into soft push piles and still fun, but then gets to be hard work when it gets really chewed up.

was a fun powder day, but of course it would have been great to have some epic carving conditions.

I hope everyone that came had a good time and will be back next year...

thanks to all for posting really great pics... ski you laters...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 1...

wow... i learned powder!   bringing a freeride board paid off... just think of what others with no snow are dealing with.  It was a epic week for snow and you ride it.  Was so cool seeing all of the Montana gang...John,,, Dredman...Wes... Kudos.  It was a great week.. Love this place.  It is so much fun no matter what the weather brings...friends are great.

P2010002.JPG

P2030018.JPG

snowreport: sat feb 03, 2018
howdy all

the big reported 2 inches overnight and I went with the softies anyways cause I knew the off groom

was still good from yesterday. again with the big mountain classic fog, but not that bad and it lifted

about noon. mostly lapping the frontside and did a few under the chair and it was filled in and it was

good. it could have been a good hardboot day as there was less than an inch over the groom. was

planning to go to the winter carnival, but got home and had lunch then fell asleep and woke up at

4:30pm and left the house and everyone was leaving town, oh well, I went to the market anyways.

I go back to work on sunday and it will be my day off from the hill and can give my body a rest...

thought it was going to be rainy, but turned out to be a kinda nice warm day... summit was 30 degrees...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 1...

snowreport: mon feb 05, 2018
howdy all

wow! today was truly an epic pow day. the big reported 8 inches overnight. foggy halfway up as per

usual. my first run I decided to do mullys cause the upper mullys had only a little snow over groom.

mullys moguls was filled in and was nice and soft then waited on chair 1 to open. the wind was really

strong from the north and was very cold. first run down the face under the chair was a slight crust

and wavy from the wind, but the crust was no problem and the wind kept refilling the tracks. kept

lapping the front and it was good all day. the snow was a little denser and a little more supportive.

today was truly an epic pow day... forecast is more snow...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 3... 

Instagram posts reported a foot for you guys yesterday, and more on the way.

February's shaping up to be really good out west. Our hills have been getting plenty as well, spring skiing should be fantastic. Brewfest dates already marked on calendar.

Edited by Allee

snowreport: tue feb 06, 2018
howdy all

should have brought the hardboots, but went with the softies cause there was a lot of pow yesterday

and the groom would be on the soft side and plenty pow off groom. there was a lot of moisture in the

snow and it was heavy, the groom was good and firm, but if you carve to hard you could really dig in.

its kinda a transitional day and if it doesn't snow tomorrow the groomers would be awesome, but the

forecast is more snow and plenty on Thursday. today was mostly sunny and just a nice day, the summit

temp was 21 degrees. there was a ski club from California with about 80 members and a lot of paper

tickets, it was pretty crowded for a Tuesday. kinda took it easy and did the soft carve and had a fun day...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 3...

snowreport: sat feb 10, 2018
howdy all

so I was in line for lunch on Tuesday in the summit house and the guy behind me hacks a huge cough

and I should have moved away fast. anyways, next morning I get a little inkling of a cold coming on. its

kinda a head cold for now, but my body feels tired. anyways, it has been really cold with an artic blast

moving down which makes for good grippy groomers, but on Thursday is was really warm and it was

melting the snow here in town. then within a few hours in the late afternoon it got windy and the temps

got really cold. heard Friday the lower mountain had chicken heads all over from the thaw / freeze and

today there was a little icy crunchy with some chicken heads. I walked to the old chair 5 on the very

top and did a few turns until till the top of toni matt and it was perfect smooth carving snow so did

about 3 runs on that. summit temps was 8 degrees not much wind and cloudy on the top with lite snow.

forecast is a little snow tomorrow and colder temps so Monday and Tuesday looks really good...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 1...

snowreport: mon feb 12, 2018
howdy all

today was the day! no new snow for a few days and colder temps and bluebird all day with no wind.

so broke out the new 172nfce and was tentative at first and thought it would make wider turns, but

it turns tight how I like it. the snow was icy crunchy, but this board didn't care, it just held the edge

and went thru anything. i'm kinda getting over a cold and not in the best shape, but this board did

not make me feel tired and I went all day. the top vertical skier guy who sees a lot on this hill said

I looked like dredman so I must be getting better. the cashier girl at the summit house said yesterdays

high wind and very cold temps broke the thermometer on our new electronic trail map board. she

said it read minus 40 then broke, it now reads 001. today was a good day, but the snow is still

icy crunchy with small patches of chicken heads and felt kinda sketchy in places. I thought with

this zero degrees temps the groomers would crush the snow and leave us some velvety smooth

cords. I have heard from others that the grooming have been really bad and spotty, meaning not

all the usual runs gets groomed and the quality sucks... the sun made it feel warmer...

rode the 172nfce from 9 till 4...

2 hours ago, west carven said:

the cashier girl at the summit house said yesterdays

high wind and very cold temps broke the thermometer on our new electronic trail map board. she

said it read minus 40 then broke, it now reads 001.

"snort" They just don't make things like they used to. But then again, they've probably never seen -40 in China.

Edited by Allee

snowreport: tue feb 13, 2018
howdy all

looked like it was going to be a nice sunny day with some clouds at opening, but soon the clouds builds

and was overcast all day. the clouds were very high and you could see the park and the mountains all

around. the very cold overnight temps made the snow much better than yesterday and the groomers

were great. tomorrow would be awesome groomers, but the forecast is a good dump of pow. the groomers

was slowly getting better day by day. today was chalky firm and very carveable and rode hard. It felt colder

than yesterday and I was cold and could not get warm. did a few runs after lunch with johnasmo and

closed the place down... pray for no snow!... 

rode the 172nfce from 9 till 4...

snowreport: sat feb 17, 2018
howdy all

the big reported an inch overnight, but I knew the off piste would be good from the past few days.

it started snowing in the morning and snowed all day. I left the house at 8am and there was no new

snow on the ground and when I got back at 3pm there was 4 inches in town. the first few runs down

ed's run was good carving then slowly get bumped up and snow keeps falling. the crowds were huge

and chair 1 was backed up so stayed on ed's. this week will be very busy... forecast is more snow

then colder temps. my left knee is very sore tonight, I slipped on the driveway while shoveling snow

on Friday, rode ok today, but seems to be getting worst...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 2...

Dude, you guys got hammered again? And it looks cold enough to break your scoreboard too, looks like Chair 1 might not be running today. Our weather forecast says that the cold is here until the end of the month, ugh.

Look after that knee. Ice and ibuprofen, ouch. 

snowreport: sun feb 18, 2018
howdy all

stayed home from a work day cause my left knee is on fire. it is throbbing and I can't walk around.

rode hard yesterday on the softies then came home and shoveled my sidewalk. felt a little buggy

Friday night, but not so bad that I couldn't ride. well today it is really sore and it's very hard to move

around. we are in a winter storm warning and have huge holiday crowds and today only the frontside

opened. the big reported 12 inches overnight and crazy wind chills... here is a pic of the big snowreport...

snowreport-02-18-18.jpg

snowreport: mon feb 19, 2018
howdy all

bluebird all day, but very cold and crazy cold wind chills... did not even step outside the house.

my left knee was sore and could put some pressure on it and hobbled around the house. it was

very windy and would have been a brutal day on the hill, so did not feel too bad about missing

a ride day...

bigmtn-02-19-18-3pm.png

snowreport: tue feb 20, 2018
howdy all

wow! my knee feels much better and could walk around no problem.. so walked to town and did some

errands then shoveled some snow and still felt ok. will see how I feel tomorrow and go to work. today

the big had that wind blown look to it in the afternoon. todays high was 15 degrees in town and mostly

sunny, had to wear my sunglasses with all the snow all over the place. I am hopeful to do some nipple

dragging with the Hawaiians... we shall see... time will tell...

howdy all

forgot to mention this but this is the second death on this hill this year, this happened saturday feb. 17, 2018

and the first was earlier in the season when a Canadian skier died in a tree well.

http://nbcmontana.com/news/local/missing-skier-identified-as-columbia-falls-physician

http://nbcmontana.com/news/local/whitefish-mountain-resort-issues-statement-after-tree-well-death

ride safely everyone...

Edited by west carven

snowreport: sat feb 24, 2018
howdy all

well, my sore knee was a prelude to a bout of gout. wednesday night felt like I stubbed my left big toe

then worked Thursday with a slightly swollen foot. took the day off on Friday and today my day off it

was sore in the morning but feeling better in the early evening. will go to work tomorrow if it is not too

sore. anyways, today it snowed a little in the morning and the mountain looked foggy then the fog

started to lift by noon time. the big reported 8 inches overnight of light fluffy pow over some firm snow.

i'm sure Wednesday was a perfect groomer day with bluebird skies. I missed a great week of carving

snow with my health issues. I am hoping I can ride on Monday and ride with fellow Hawaiians...

did not ride today...