Note to New Members ×

WTF 2018. Jan 24~Feb 3

snowreport: tue nov 21, 2017
howdy all
rained all day here in town yesterday and maybe at the summit as it was
very warm with the pacific front pushing thru and bring up the warmer air.
more rain in the next few days and warmer temps thru next week.
here is a pic of the new chair 5 on the east rim, note how steep and the
towers are on the tops of the rocky cliffs... no carving there...

new chair 5.jpg

snowreport: sat nov 25, 2017
howdy all
well not the best week as we had warmer temps and rain even during the
evening. all the snow here in town is gone and looking at the big the runs
are showing grass again. forecast is colder temps and some snow next
week. early November was so good for snow then this past week so bad.
I think the backside will be ok and we will open with only chair 7 and
chair 11 and download on chair 1. opening day is Thursday December 7...

bl112517.jpg

snowreport: mon dec 04, 2017
howdy all

well, the last week and a half we had warmer temps and all the hope of a great early November snow fall

dried up. it has been a little cooler, just enough to fire up the snow making machines and Saturday night

thru Sunday snow some on the hill. the frontside is really thin, but but backside should be good to go.

not too stoked with the conditions and will take it easy cause I am not in the best shape cause the last

couple months I took it easy and didn't do too much. hoping I get in condition as the snow conditions gets

better. forecast looks good with comfy temps...

414587808.jpg

newbaselodge-12-04-17.jpg

snowreport: thu dec 07, 2017
howdy all

opening day! finally! I knew what to expect and sure enough it was exactly as I expected. very thin

coverage all around and only the backside was open, but with the new chair everybody was spread

out and all the lifts was not too crowded. chair 7, chair 11, chair 5 and t-bar 2 was running. russ's

street was closed by chair 5 so everyone had to download on chair 1 and only every third chair so

they closed the backside at 2:30pm cause it would take awhile to download everyone. the early

snow from November got settled down with the warm temps and made for some firm groomers.

lots of pine tops sticking out on the runs with some rocks. the snow was perfect firm groomers

and would hold an edge really good, but trying to avoid the pine tops like gates. it was lite fog

on the summit and some sun poking thru on the backside, but the fog slowly moves down the

frontside and starts to lightly snow as I left by 1:30pm. a high pressure is moving in and the

inversion is setting up. should be warmer on the summit and the cold air trapped in the valley.

today was fun and it was nice to make some turns again. the new chair 5 was fun and going up

and seeing the rocky cliffs, at least you know where not to go. chair 5 is not a carving friendly

area. forecast is cooler temps but no new snow all week...

rode the amp5 softies from 9:30 till 1:30pm...

Start the snow dance.

The Bierstube Remodel – Completed

In early 2017 Whitefish Mountain Resort entered a long-term lease agreement with Bierstube business owner, Scott McIntosh. As part of the agreement, the Bierstube received an exterior remodel including a new roof, windows, doors and siding. Additionally the Bierstube will have a new deck partially covered by a gable roof. While the exterior and new deck are the major improvements, some interior improvements will make customers more comfortable while maintaining the bar’s charm. The Bierstube’s exterior design was created by Montana Creative architecture + design, and Dow’s Construction completed the project.

snowreport: sat dec 09, 2017
howdy all

the inversion is here and it was sunny on the summit and the backside. on the summit you could

see all the mountains all around and the clouds below looked like a huge lake. it was busy as it was

the first weekend with all the weekend warriors. it has been cold enough to keep the snow nice and

firm, but the coverage has been thin with lots of dips and rollers. the off groom powder is no more

as everyone found their stashes. we really need more snow, but the forecast is no snow thru next week.

rode with my nephew the first few hours till his buddies showed up then went exploring on my own.

rode all the available lifts, chair 7, chair 5, chair 11 and t-bar 2. oh yeah! broke my back foot toe

strap on the second run on chair 6, my old antique amp5 with 3 straps on the front foot only and

2 strap on the back foot cause the 3 strap high back broke last year. my first snowboard from 1995

and still a fun ride. it has become a tradition to ride it on the first few days till snow conditions

improve. rode the toe strap with the broken ladder just barely hanging on. still made the most it

and had a great day...

rode the amp5 softies from 9 till 3pm...

Brought over from Lucid.

The dates are correct. Shred and I arrive on the 24th and depart on the 3rd. Not riding on those days. WTF is just a name Shred and I call our vacation.  I would love to see more carvers. Come for a day or stay the hole thing. Nothing organised do as you please. Besides chair #2 at 9 am and variable lunch times We do meet up for dinner and drinks some nights.  Remember No affiliation with the resort. Its a fun trip with people who want too help promote carving.

snowreport: mon dec 11, 2017
howdy all

took my time this morning cause I know what to expect, hardpack with powdered sugar on top.

we really need some new snow. went all around exploring and had a fun day. the inversion is

still here and should be out of here by the weekend with some snow. not much to report and

we are all waiting for more snow. not much people on the hill...

rode the amp5 softies from 10 till 3pm...

snowreport: tue dec 12, 2017
howdy all

today was much better than yesterday, yesterday a lot was not groomed, but today was much better.

the snow was good chalky firm that is great for carving and the grooming is smoothing out the dips

and rollers. we need at least three feet of snow to open the frontside. forecast is a little snow tomorrow

and very little by the weekend. last year the week before Christmas it dumped huge every day and we had

a great Christmas day pow, I hope we have a repeat. very lite crowds and there was no lift line on chair 7

all day. the mountain opens russ's street at the end of the day at 2:30pm which I did yesterday, but today

I decided to download then did a bunch of runs on chair 6. chair 6 had the perfect snow for carving, but

it is the bunny hill. today was a great carving day and I had a lot of fun on the hardboots...

rode the fp157 from 9 till 3...

snowreport: sat dec 16, 2017
howdy all

kinda nice day with some sun and clouds/fog moves thru now and then and on the chilly side.

saw my nephew and his wife first thing in the morning so took it easy and enjoyed the morning

then his friends came later in the day and we did a bunch of runs together. we mostly did chair 11

and chair 5 loops cause the weekend warriors filled the lines on chair 7. it was hard to link a few

turns cause everyone is bombing the firm groomers and everyone stuffed in the backside. took

it easy and tried to keep up with the kids. broke out my alp5 which is the second board I owned

and the first time I put the hard plates on it, I had only used the 3strap as a softie carver, fun board.

last time I rode it was maybe 10 plus years ago...

rode the alp5 from 9 till 3...

snowreport: mon dec 18, 2017
howdy all

wow! just what we needed, a great pow day. a little warmer and humid and lite rain here in town, but

it was dumping all day on the big. just about 8 inches of good quality pow and skied really better than

I thought. rode mostly on the runs and a little off the sides cause its still thin coverage. got a little wet

and felt cold as I had lunch then made a few more runs. heard yesterday was a really bad with rime on

your goggles and chair 11 had a layer of ice on the chairs today. if it snows good tonight chair 2 may

open tomorrow. forecast is more snow the next couple days then single digits by the weekend...

this morning chair 1 opened late cause the resort doesn't have its act together to deal with a lot of snow...

rode the 152wfs from 10 till 2...

snowreport: tue dec 19, 2017
howdy all

another great pow day! and it dumped good all day. chair 2 did not open at 9am and didn't open till later.

mostly cruising the backside runs and a little off the sides. had lunch and took russ's street to check out

chair 2, but it was not running so up to the top and backside. then just after 2pm they opened the frontside

and did a few laps of some good deep pow runs on the rightside of ptarmigan bowl. still need more snow

and tonight looks good for more then a cool down by the weekend. on my last run I saw chair 2 running

so did a hellroaring run cause ed's didn't look so good. ed's should be good by the weekend with single

digits temps. the mountain had a lot of issues and chair 5 wasn't running cause they were doing avalanche

control, chair 1 opened late too. kinda frustrating morning, but it was a great pow day...

rode the 152wfs from 10 till 4...

snowreport: sat dec 23, 2017
howdy all

wow! great groomers on ed's run and the very bottom stayed good all day, but ed's got chopped up

by the end of the day. toni matt was a bit icy just past the bench. blue bird most of the day with some

clouds rolling in and out about 1:30pm. should have brought the hardboots, but the softies was carving

just as hard. temps was about 3-5 degrees with no wind and the sun made it feel warmer. ed's is good...

what a great day...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 4...

snowreport: mon dec 25, 2017
howdy all

merry Christmas everyone! wow! what a great groomer day with blue sky sunshine and no lift lines.

it was really cold at the summit when I took my break and the temp up there read -4 degrees. coming

down toni matt was icy so I stayed on ed's all day cause the snow was much better and it was warmer.

ed's was good in the morning, but there is a lot of dips and rollers and as it got chewed up later in the

day it wasn't so good, but the very bottom stayed good. there were many times when I was the only

person on ed's run. today was a perfect carving day and it stayed nice, looking south there was a dark

cloud and looked like it was dumping hard and it stayed south. forecast is more snow Thursday and

Friday and I took Friday off so it's looking good for a pow day. did not bother to go in the backside...

rode the alp5 from 9 till 4...

snowreport: tue dec 26, 2017
howdy all

high overcast just over the big so visibility was ok with flat light and that kept the temps cold all

morning. the cold temps kept the snow nice and grippy firm. we were excepting huge crowds, but

it wasn't too bad as there was no lift line wait on chair 2 and chair 1. I stayed on ed's all day cause

the snow was much better and it was warmer, but still I was cold, summit temps was 4 degrees.

another great day lapping ed's. forecast is more snow on thu, fri, sat... tonight there was night skiing.

rode the fp157 from 9 till 4...

snowreport: fri dec 29, 2017
howdy all

the big reported 10 inches overnight, but it was less than that. first run on toni matt was 5 inches

over groom and second run on good medicine was deeper. went on the backside and I got stuck

in my secret stash cause it was so deep, I had to walk out till I hit a traverse. the lines were huge

on chair 1 and I need a better plan, heard people were lapping chair 4. the lift lines wasn't too bad

after 12pm, but by then everything is chewed up. the summit house looked packed so I did not

take my usual break. did a few more runs and called it early. forecast is a lot more snow tonight

with high winds then not much on sunday. tomorrow should be crazy with the weekend warriors

and all the tourist, it will be a huge powder day... took the day off today... was a little rimey...

rode the amp5 from 9:30 till 2...

snowreport: sat dec 30, 2017
howdy all

another great powder day! the big reported 5 inches, but it seemed like more. today snow was

better then yesterdays cream, it was nice and dry. again did not go to chair 2 at 9am, but waited

on chair 1 till 9:30am and was rewarded a good run down toni matt. the lift lines seems to get better

by noon as everyone goes to lunch, but by then everything is chewed up. another fun pow day...

forecast is mostly sunny Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, so Monday and Tuesday looks like good

groomers... dumped hard all day... again holiday madness huge crowds...

rode the amp5 from 9:30 till 2...

snowreport: mon jan 01, 2018
howdy all

happy new year!

I knew it was going to be a great carving day after yesterdays blue bird all day and no new snow.

second day grooming and no new snow and cold temps made for some really nice grippy groomers.

high overcast in the early morning then it clears with blue skies with a dark cloud just to the south.

looked like the inversion was trying to set-up and the summit was clear skies and the clouds below.

took my break then decided to go back down to chair 2 to avoid the huge crowds. chair 2 was in

the cloud/fog level and it felt cold, but it was sunny early then the clouds moved in. got bumped up,

but the very bottom of ed's stayed good. the main section of ed's still has a lot of dips and rollers

and is kinda annoying. was a fun day and carved hard...

rode the alp157 from 9 till 4...

snowreport: tue jan 02, 2018
howdy all

no new snow and 3rd day grooming with cold temps made for some really good groomers.

the inversion is in place and the top of chair 2 was sunny and as soon as you start going down

the cloud/fog level starts and lightly snowing all day. it was warmer on the summit than down low.

the groomers was really good and you guys should have been here. the local kids are back in school,

but still many Canadian families with kids. still kinda crowded, but much better than the past few days.

a few more days and we should get our mountain back. forecast is a slight warm up by the weekend

with some snow on Saturday. today was fun with the stiff burton wind boots and the coiler all mountain.

rode the 165amt from 9 till 4...