Note to New Members ×

WTF 2018. Jan 24~Feb 3

snowreport: thu mar 01, 2018
howdy all

took the day off from work to ride with the Hawaiians and Idahoians. it was a nice day with super

high overcast and visibility was good. the groomers was good with a little new snow on top. it was

a fun day and carved hard with the crew. it was nice to see everyone again... my foot was a bit sore

in the morning, but felt better later...

rode the 165amt from 10 till 4...

snowreport: fri mar 02, 2018
howdy all

the wind!... as I got to the baselodge the wind was very strong and picking up snow and blowing it around.

the groom was really good, but the cold strong wind kept us on the lower mountain and we stayed on chair 2

all day. another fun day with the crew, alberta, greyontray, dkp and buster minus kram who left last night.

the cold wind made the groomers nice and grippy and you could call it "hero snow"... another fun day with

the crew... I hope everyone made it home safely...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 4...

snowreport: sat mar 03, 2018
howdy all

partly cloudy and no wind and it was a beautiful morning and the big reported 10 inches overnight,

but the weekend warriors and the powder hounds kept chair 1 packed and over flowing out of the gates.

so stayed on chair 2 and it wasn't so bad. the snow stopped early last night so I knew the groomers

would be soft. it was great carving, but not as fun without the crew. the clouds was thinning and by

11am the sun came out and it was bluebird and it got warm and the snow was getting wet -n-heavy.

I tried to put on my softboots in the morning, but I could not get in it so rode the all mountain carver.

after ed's got chewed up I did a few runs on heaven and it was pretty good... called it early...

super crowed powder weekend then bluebird... was a really nice day...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 12...

howdy

another tree well death... Friday March 02, 2018...

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/breaking_news/20180303/skier_dies_in_tree_well_on_big_mountain

Skier dies in tree well on Big Mountain

March 03, 2018 at 2:28 pm | By PATRICK REILLY Daily Inter Lake

A skier was found dead in a tree well on Whitefish Mountain Resort Friday afternoon.
According to the Flathead County Sheriff’s Office, the 56-year-old Canadian man became separated from his friend and was reported missing. Around 3:15 p.m., Whitefish Mountain Resort Ski Patrol found his body buried in a tree well on the mountain’s south side near the summit.
The skier was identified as Charles “Chuck” Douglas James Herr, of Calgary, by Buffalo Hill Funeral Home, which is caring for the family.
This marks the second confirmed death at Whitefish this winter. The first, on New Year’s Eve, was also a tree well incident.
A tree well is a void in the snowpack around the base of an evergreen tree. When skiers or snowboarders fall into this space, they can find it impossible to escape alone and suffocate when the snow collapses around them.
In a separate incident Friday, a Canadian snowboarder was reported missing near the Chair 2 area at Whitefish Mountain Resort at about 6:30 p.m. A search by Flathead Search and Rescue and Nordic Ski Patrol was initiated. The Two Bear Air rescue helicopter also responded and was able to locate the man out of bounds shortly before midnight below the ski resort between Northern Lights Drive and Whitefish Lake.
According the Sheriff’s Office, he had become lost in the dark and wound up below the lift. The Two Bear helicopter returned the man to the resort.
Meanwhile, the search continues for Dr. Jon Torgerson of Columbia Falls. Curry said about 20 searchers are combing the Flower Point area for signs of the missing skier, who disappeared Feb. 17.
In a press release, Curry thanked all the volunteers who have helped out over the last two weeks in the multiple search and rescue cases.

snowreport: mon mar 05, 2018
howdy all

dumping snow early in the morning, the big reported an inch overnight so the crowds were light.

there was about 4 inches plus over groom on ed's and did a couple runs then waited for chair 1 to

open. did a few runs down the front and it was really good pow, but you could feel the firm bottom

when you turn too hard. it was dumping hard till 10:30am then just a hint of blue sky then super thick

fog then some clearing then fog and dumping for a little while then in and out again. as the snow got

into huge push piles it was still carveable as you blast thru the soft piles. it was a nice sleeper pow

day and no lift lines as the powder hounds stayed home. great power carving thru the piles...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 1...

snowreport: tue mar 06, 2018
howdy all

classic big mountain all day. lite snow and fog gets thick at times. the lower mountain vis was good.

there was just over an inch over groom and ed's run was nice and smooth. the crowds was lite and

no waiting in lift lines. great carving and small push piles later in the day.  I was going to stay all day,

but after lunch it was still foggy so called it short. it was find your way down thru the fog then carve

the very bottom where you could see. not the best day, but some good carving...

rode the 157alp from 9 till 2...

snowreport: wed mar 07, 2018
howdy all

it was a beautiful bluebird day and last night was clear skies and cold and the groomers was perfect

this morning. today was the kind of day I dream about, the groomers on ed's was nice and smooth.

took it easy, but still carved hard as I get to ride every day till the end of the season. rode the 172nfce

and it's a great board that fits my riding style. with todays sun it got warm in the afternoon and the

snow was getting wet and heavy. it will be the start of the freeze/thaw cycle as the temps are forecasted

to get warmer thru next week with a lot of sunny days. today might be the last of the good groomers...

rode the 172nfce from 9 till 2...

bigmtn-03-07-18.png

414587808_Position1_640_360-03-07-18.jpg

snowreport: thu mar 08, 2018
howdy all

wow! what a difference a day makes, today super thick fog and some snow early in the morning.

the fog was really thick and it was one chair at times. everyone was talking about how bad it was

and riding in survival mode. just cold enough where the rime was very lite. the warm temps from

yesterday made for some icy chicken heads, but it got mixed in with the one inch plus of new snow.

took it easy and did a few runs on the backside just to be safe and cruised around. I did not do any

carves and just slide slipped around going by feel cause you could not see in front of you. one of

the worse days this season... oh yeah! yesterday 4th run at the bottom of ed's my front boot pops

off on toeside and I slid about 25 feet till the edge on skiers right... good thing nothing bad happened...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 1...

snowreport: fri mar 09, 2018
howdy all

the big reported 4 inches overnight, but the groom on ed's was good slightly wet/firm very carveable

cords. brought the softies and should have hardbooted, but it snow off and on and dumping hard by

the end of the day. the summit temp was 26 degrees in the morning and felt humid, but by the end of

the day it got down to 22 degrees and the new snow got lighter softer. foggy on top as per usual, but

vis was good all day. powder conditions got better as the day progressed and I found good lines all day.

it was a great winter day and rode hard, carved hard on the groomers and surfed the pow off groom.

tomorrow should be good groomers then forecast is four sunny days and warmer temps and this could

be the start of the freeze/thaw cycle... spring skiing is here... today was a good powder day...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 4..

snowreport: sat mar 10, 2018
howdy all

what a beautiful bluebird morning. I was hoping for some clouds and got a little about 10:30am,

but the clouds was short lived. it helped to keep the snow from breaking down too fast. it got a

little firm when the clouds came in, but the warm ambient air made it soft in the afternoon and

the sun came out again. early in the morning an old guy tried to pass me just before setting my

edge to heelside and my board hits his skis and I see it get tangled up and he flies forward and

I manage to stay up right then cross over the back of his skis then one of his skis bounce forward

and flies over my head on the leftside. he fell face forward and had a bloody face. I stopped down

hill and walked up to make sure he was ok and his buddies was there and saw the whole thing

and they knew he was at fault. i'm glad I was not hurt cause it could have been bad if we collided.

felt sorry for the old guy and I hope he's ok. I saw him ski down on his own. today was soft groomers

from all the pow yesterday. could be some good kinda firm groomers tomorrow. forecast is

bluebird and warmer temps till tuesday... 

rode the 165amt from 9 till 1...

snowreport: sun mar 11, 2018
howdy all

another bluebird day and good groomers on upper mullys, but ed's was a little firm so went to chair 1

and the top was good till the bench. kinda took my time this morning and was waiting for things to soften up.

it started to get soft by noon and after that it got carveable down low and it was great carving. it turned

out to be a fun day. not too crowded in the morning cause it was spring forward an hour, but by the end

of the day it got super busy. the traffic going home took awhile... tried a new to me old coiler classic

that needed a lot of clean up an edge work. it is on the soft side, but it worked great and was a lot of fun...

rode the 165cc from 9 till 4...

snowreport: mon mar 12, 2018
howdy all

again another bluebird day and good groomers on upper mullys, but ed's was a little firmer and

scrapped of into chicken heads so went to the backside and did a few runs. took my time and

went down the front about 11am and it was getting softer. good carving in the afternoon, but

it was getting crowded with people bombing down the hill so called it at 3pm... forecast is the

same tomorrow then some rain/snow on Wednesday and Thursday... good carving today...

rode the 165cc from 9 till 3...

snowreport: tur mar 13, 2018
howdy all

another bluebird day and very firm snow in the morning on most of the runs so took it easy. the

snow started to soften up about noon and it got very warn by 3pm so called it earlier than I wanted.

it was such a nice day and it got really hot and the snow got pretty soft, but not quite spring corn.

the snow in the morning was so firm that it did not scrap up into chicken heads, it just got more

polished and it was very dangerous and just sliding and barely hanging on. forecast is a front

coming thru and some rain/snow Wednesday then more on Thursday ...some good carving...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 3...

snowreport: wed mar 14, 2018
howdy all

started with blue skies and quickly gets cloudy which was a good thing, but it took longer for the

snow to soften on the frontside and it got colder and I was under dressed cause the pass four days

was sunny and warm. the backside was good groomers and they groomed Kodiak a short steep pitch

and No Name another steep short pitch that was groomed and it was a good quality carving snow.

hung out on the backside with rick and had a fun day riding runs that we normally don't ride, it was

a good change of pace. the frontside was polished ice and was scary to ride on so took it easy on

the back and had a fun day... it was dumping hard about 3:30pm and still till I left at 4pm...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 4...

snowreport: thu mar 15, 2018
howdy all

wow! really felt like winter and again I was under dressed, another layer would have been better and

a thin glove liner would have kept me comfy. super foggy all day and thick at times and still firm groomers.

snowing off and on and accumulated to maybe an inch and made sliding on the polished ice a little easier.

not really carving and just going up and down the frontside to work on some vertical. I was cold and went in

to warm up a few times. fog was thick all day so left early...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 2...

snowreport: fri mar 16, 2018
howdy all

wow! another beautiful bluebird morning and on the chilly side which made yesterdays 2 inch of

new snow groomed in made it nice and soft on top, but down low it was still firm. cloud starts to

build by noon and it was a super high thin overcast which kept it from direct sun, but the ambient

warm temps softened the snow just right. it was pretty cold in the morning and just right later in

the afternoon so stayed all day. today was a great carving day and had a lot of fun. the coiler

classic is a little soft so can't push it on the steeper sections, but fun on the mellow pitch and

easy to turn... made some nice turns...

rode the 165cc from 9 till 4...

snowreport: sat mar 17, 2018
howdy all

another bluebird morning then gets a little cloudy then gets sunny again and gets too warm so called

it early. my raccoon eyes and goggle tan is getting dark from all these sunny days. if it stayed cloudy

I might have stayed longer. very firm in the morning and starts to get soft by noon. was good for a little

while then gets slushy soft and its fun, but gets too hot. took my time in the morning and cruised around

the backside and watched a few of the racers in the "Nate Chute Banked Slalom" race. there was about

130 competitors of all ages in different divisions. took it easy as it got crowded with the weekend

warriors. forecast is a little snow on Monday...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 2...

snowreport: sun mar 18, 2018
howdy all

another nice morning with blue sky then quickly gets cloudy which is a good thing. cool yet comfy

with the cloud cover and the frontside stayed firm longer, but the backside was perfect carving snow

and it was good all day. the sun came back out about 3pm till closing and the bottom got slushy and

fun and the top was still kinda firm. today was a fun day even tho mostly on the backside... forecast

is some snow tonight and tomorrow...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 4...

snowreport: mon mar 19, 2018
howdy all

wow! today was a legit full on winter day with dumping snow till 1pm. last night it dumped 7 inches

and it was refills all morning. good dry snow on top and a little heavy down low. it was getting spring

like with the sunny days, but today it was a great powder day. the first few runs down toni matt was

sweet untracked butter. I was ready to put the softies away and wait for the spring thaw to be the

norm. tomorrow should be some good soft groomers and forecast is more rain/snow thru next week.

surprise powder day ... all smiles... fun day... snow stopped around 1pm...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 2...

snowreport: tue mar 20, 2018
howdy all

cloudy all day and foggy on the summit. the big groomed the face down to ptarmigan bowl on the

skiers right of the chair 1 towers. there was a berm before and after the two trees and I hit one cause

I could not see it in the thick fog. nobody was going down it cause no one could see it. I felt my way

down a few times then carved the bottom when the fog kinda cleared. it was good up high and a little

firm down low. was a good day and had fun...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 2...

snowreport: wed mar 21, 2018
howdy all

wow! cool overnight temps and 2nd day grooming of all that pow from Monday made for some

grippy groomers early in the morning. it was the best I have seen all season, but it didn't last too

long. the clouds was high and vis was good and the sun would peak thru now and then and the

warm afternoon temps made it wet and started to break down and starts to get slushy 1pm. the

big groomed the face again and it was fun to carve that section cause they never groom it.

everywhere was good and it was a fun day... carved some tight turns...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 2...

snowreport: thu mar 22, 2018
howdy all

it was a nice warm morning and the snow was firm and the backside was pretty good so stayed

back there most of the morning. hung out with rick all day and we took our time cruising around.

it got soft in the afternoon and was getting hot and I wasn't feeling it so called it early. it was good

to take it easy as the snow wasn't the best...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 1...