Note to New Members ×

WTF 2018. Jan 24~Feb 3

• 1 month later...

howdy cuban

I am glad that you are making your annual WTF trip again, it will be good to see you.

I have two new boards to try this winter and can't wait to ride'um.

today Sunday, August 13, is the first day of rain since the end of winter. we have alot

of fires all around and it has been very hot and dry with small cells that fire off lighting

that have started most of the fires. the rain today cleared some of the smoke from the

air. it is cooler and fall is around the corner and winter doesn't seem so far away.

I hope we see more carvers at WTF2018...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

fire report: mon aug 28, 2017

howdy all

went up to the big to pay for my pass and rode chair 1 to the summit and took a look around.

the top tower on east rim is up and you can see the progress on the north summit webcam.

yesterday was nice and clear of smoke, but today it was smokey again, the fires keep getting

bigger and it is forecasted to be hot in the upper 80's thru next week. rode my cruiser down

from the baselodge thru iron horse and it was faster than I thought it would be. about 101 more

days till opening and it will be on a thursday December 7. can't wait for the snow to fly...

fire report: mon sep 04, 2017

howdy all

with fires all around us it is really smokey today. last night rode my cruiser around town and the ashes messed-up

my eyes and you could really smell it which made it kinda hard to sleep. today a front comes thru with more wind

which is not good as fires just get bigger. a few days ago the historic Sperry  Chalet in Glacier National Park burned

down. it was just over a hundred years old. here is a pic of whitefish lake with big mountain in the smokey haze.

then a historic pic of Sperry  Chalet and as the fire consumes it as burns in the Sprague Fire on Aug. 31, 2017.

aef4c4419fb07d25947d5b703c549fa4-09-04-17a.jpg

DI-477-1.jpg

20170831_SPERRY_5-1.jpg

20170831_FIRE_016.jpg

Damn shame about Sperry, hopefully it doesn't get as far as Lake McDonald Lodge. I'm supposed to come to Whitefish on the bike this weekend, but Going To The Sun is closed at this end so we'll have to take an alternative route.

They're starting to evacuate Waterton, on the Canada side of Glacier this morning, due to spot fires starting up from the US side.

Stay safe out there, and let's hope for some rain soon.

Edited by Allee

howdy cuban

haven't seen work on the stube, but seems like most of the renovation will be on the outside.

Bierstube to Undergo Extensive Renovation and here is some info on the new lift...

Whitefish Mountain Resort to Move Chair 5 to East Rim

yesterday September 10, it was clear of smoke and you could see the big. the day before the smoke

was really thick and you could not see too far. went for a paddle last night and it was clear, but the

smoke was a little north and just over the big. looks nice this morning, but smells of smoke...

forecast is cooler temps in the upper 60's and rain on Thursday...

snowreport: tue sep 19, 2017

howdy all

happy to report the first dusting of snow. it rained most of the day yesterday and into the night.

there is more on the way this afternoon. we had a smoky end of summer and somebody turned

the winter switch on a little too soon and forgot about fall. the fall colors are just starting and I am

missing the warm beautiful fall colors on the river. it's been about 20 degrees cooler than normal

which is good for our fires, hope this cold front helps put's um out...

northsummit-09-19-17 -sm.jpg

Edited by west carven

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

snowreport: sun nov 05, 2017

howdy all

it's officially winter! Friday morning it dumped a few inches here in town and had to shovel the sidewalk at work.

Saturday a few more inches and today a few more here in town and will shovel my sidewalk before work as we

have an extra hour with the daylight savings time change. i'm sure the mountain got plenty and it's a good start.

forecast is a slight warm up by next weekend with some snow...

• 4 weeks later...